First "big bike"?

Soldato
OP
Honestly, passing my Mod2 in November has since been a pain in the $%&£.

I thought I would have all the time in the world to chose my "First big bike" but when my trusty CBF125 was stolen, that was no longer the case.

Not riding for that long is sending me mad. I have forgotten what it feels like Desperate to get back in the saddle.

Since looking, I have been useless.

Wavering between what type of bike, Sports Tourer, Adventure, flicking between the two almost daily.

Deciding on a specific model then changing my mind for obscure reason, then going back to the one I originally liked, it really has made me goldilocks.

Dithered on different bikes which I then lose out on because not pulled the trigger quick enough.

After much thinking about "will I fit on it", "will I be comfy" and googling and Youtube videos, I have settled on a VFR800, question now is, what Gen?

5th Gen or 6th Gen

5th looks a little worn, good for a 2000 bike though and top box
6th gen is shiny and comes with full luggage, year 2005.

Both have 27k.

5th Gen - £2100
6th Gen - £2800

I am being drawn towards the 5th Gen.

Thoughts.

Associate
I think that is going to be me but that is half the fun of being a biker right :cry:

My thinking is, avoid negative equity if you can and all is good.
Don't worry too much about that if you can. At the lower non dealer end of the market they're not trying to make a grand plus out of each sale like BMW would be.

So as said, nothing is permanent, just try stuff and see :). That's one of the many great things about bikes. It seems and maybe is a lot easier to try so many different types.

The most important requirement should be: it being a bike. And soon :). There's a lot to learn.

Soldato
Anything else in the sports tourer category for about £2500, reliable and good for 2up and a top box?
FJ1200!!

I used to help some owners maintain their VFR800s and every one of them preferred the old 750s. Riding solo was alright and you could behave like a complete child, but 2-up was hard work.
Whenever I rode one, it just felt cramped.

Soldato
OP
Picking up from Colwyn Bay so a road trip upcoming, hopefully next week.

First big bike.
First big road trip.

What can go wrong :cry:

Video from the dealer:

Some cosmetic damage but for the mileage, I accept the compromise in cost.

Startup is a little rough, dealer says low battery after being idle in showroom, will be fixed on service.

Associate
Congratulations, that will be some step up from a 125! As for the cosmetic damage a bike from 2008 (like mine) will always have the odd chip or scratch. You probably won’t even notice unless you actually go looking for it. Enjoy!

Soldato
OP
Congratulations, that will be some step up from a 125! As for the cosmetic damage a bike from 2008 (like mine) will always have the odd chip or scratch. You probably won’t even notice unless you actually go looking for it. Enjoy!
Thanks.

It was a tough call between that and a 2005 garaged VFR800 but the VFR had 28,000 on the clock and older and I just thought the CBF would be more comfortable.

Associate
It certainly looks more comfortable than my VFR and being a Honda will likely be bullet proof as long as it’s been serviced. I’ll be changing my VFR next year purely because I don’t get on with the riding position.

Soldato
OP
It certainly looks more comfortable than my VFR and being a Honda will likely be bullet proof as long as it’s been serviced. I’ll be changing my VFR next year purely because I don’t get on with the riding position.
Your post highlights why I was uncertain about the VFR. I am 44 so although not ready for pasture, I appreciate creature comforts and being 6ft2", I got the impression I needed to make some modifications and what not to make it comfortable while the CBF looks "ready to go" comfort wise.

Associate
Yeah I’ve put bar risers on and even a different seat but still can’t get it comfortable enough. Took a BMW GS on a 3 hour test ride and it felt like I’d just got off a couch when I stopped, if I did that on the VFR I’d need some painkillers lol, saying that some people find bikes like the VFR all day comfortable.

Soldato
OP
Nq1zycd.jpg

There she is :D

In the sun, sand and snow of Colwyn Bay.

Walked into the dealer to collect, the bike looked MASSIVE (Purchased it not physically seeing it), felt a little apprehensive, only been on an MT07 at my riding school.

The dealer took pity and took it onto the road for me (their car park was full of snow).

Sat there for a few moments and pulled off.... Soooo smooth, apprehension disappeared immediately and my training came back to me.

Then had a ride back from North Wales to Nottingham. Total madness. Got in a Snowstorm on the motorway, could not see as visor getting covered in snow, opened visor, got face full of snow, very low visibility, pulled onto hard shoulder to wait to clear. Highways patrol car stopped to see if I was ok, they were cool.

Talk about baptism by fire.

First proper journey on a proper bike.

Associate
Nq1zycd.jpg

There she is :D

In the sun, sand and snow of Colwyn Bay.

Walked into the dealer to collect, the bike looked MASSIVE (Purchased it not physically seeing it), felt a little apprehensive, only been on an MT07 at my riding school.

The dealer took pity and took it onto the road for me (their car park was full of snow).

Sat there for a few moments and pulled off.... Soooo smooth, apprehension disappeared immediately and my training came back to me.

Then had a ride back from North Wales to Nottingham. Total madness. Got in a Snowstorm on the motorway, could not see as visor getting covered in snow, opened visor, got face full of snow, very low visibility, pulled onto hard shoulder to wait to clear. Highways patrol car stopped to see if I was ok, they were cool.

Talk about baptism by fire.

First proper journey on a proper bike.
It's a beauty :)

Back
Top Bottom