First "big bike"?

Soldato
OP
Well, what a first week.

Loved having a "big bike", love the power, love the fact I have the power to "escape" traffic when needed, love the acceleration :) Still get a grin when you open up at the lights - HAHAHAHA

I underestimated how big a bike it was, both physical size and weight but it feels "normal" to me already.

All made getting my "A" licence worthwhile.

Going to do some advanced training when more familiar with new bike.

Oh, and if you thought a top box looked naff, they really are worth their weight in gold :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lovely bike dude, glad you're enjoying it!

The top box is a massive part of why I ride a scooter. The convenience of just being able to fling my shopping and crap in the void under the saddle is fantastic. I'm seriously contemplating whether to get a "big bike" or a massive scooter next, I quite fancy the Honda X-ADV 750.

Soldato
OP
Lovely bike dude, glad you're enjoying it!

The top box is a massive part of why I ride a scooter. The convenience of just being able to fling my shopping and crap in the void under the saddle is fantastic. I'm seriously contemplating whether to get a "big bike" or a massive scooter next, I quite fancy the Honda X-ADV 750.
Thanks.

The top box eats way more than I thought it would. Much better than carrying a rucksack with cans of beans shoved in your jacket with the Naan breads.

I have took the side panniers off for day to day commuting.

WOW, those ADV's look amazing, full luggage too :) I never knew "scooters" like that existed. You could tour on that, surely?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nq1zycd.jpg

There she is :D

In the sun, sand and snow of Colwyn Bay.

Walked into the dealer to collect, the bike looked MASSIVE (Purchased it not physically seeing it), felt a little apprehensive, only been on an MT07 at my riding school.

The dealer took pity and took it onto the road for me (their car park was full of snow).

Sat there for a few moments and pulled off.... Soooo smooth, apprehension disappeared immediately and my training came back to me.

Then had a ride back from North Wales to Nottingham. Total madness. Got in a Snowstorm on the motorway, could not see as visor getting covered in snow, opened visor, got face full of snow, very low visibility, pulled onto hard shoulder to wait to clear. Highways patrol car stopped to see if I was ok, they were cool.

Talk about baptism by fire.

First proper journey on a proper bike.

Forevermore that memory will be scorched into your brain, and you will reflect on it with fondness for the rest of your life. When you’re having a rough time, you can look back on that memory and hold on to the fact that motorcycling creates many such opportunities. Knowing that you’ll always have that can help keep spirits high through the toughest of times. Welcome to the club.

Now, lesson learned I hope. Don’t ride in a snow storm again!

The CBF1000 is a very good bike. With regular servicing, it will go on forever. I congratulate you on thinking practically because you will enjoy the riding experience and will be able to continue enjoying it for hours at a time and for many, many miles. All too frequently I see newcomers and experienced bikers buy the motorcycling equivalent of six inch stiletto heels, and they never ride the thing because it’s too damn impractical and unenjoyable.

It should be a relatively easy bike to work on. If you are so inclined and want to really relish in the motorcycling experience, get yourself a workshop manual and do all of the maintenance and repairs yourself. You’ll bond with it like the fruit of your own loins.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks.

The top box eats way more than I thought it would. Much better than carrying a rucksack with cans of beans shoved in your jacket with the Naan breads.

I have took the side panniers off for day to day commuting.

WOW, those ADV's look amazing, full luggage too :) I never knew "scooters" like that existed. You could tour on that, surely?

Yep, easily. I'll likely do Europe on whatever I get. I do love a scooter though, it's just so comfy and convenient. Loads of people seem to think that a scooter is a gutless little 125cc but there are some serious chonkers about which will embarrass quite a few other machines on the road.

The BMW C650 is also rather tasty, and a bit of a weapon:

xxMY9Wt.jpeg

GGNQhQm.jpeg

Associate
Sounds like a fun ride home there Gimpymoo. My dad rode years before I did (obviously :p) and told me the story of driving home from Wigan to Liverpool at 10mph or less, with his feet trailing through the snow, leaving 3 tracks behind him.

God knows what anyone coming along there thought had passed through :cry:

Back
Top Bottom