First Car (mature driver)

Sol

Sol

Associate
I passed at 35 a few months back and ended up with Mazda 2 Sport, perfectly decent car - recently nippy for what it is, good size for my purposes and I like the looks. Learned in a Civic (nice car but poor visibility due to spoiler), Corsa (ok, didn't want the associated boy racer baggage :D), and a Kia Proceed. I was looking at Fiesta sized cards after passing and the Mazda 2 (11 plate) was reasonably priced (4k) and insurance wasn't too crazy (£600).

Soldato
OP
I passed at 35 a few months back and ended up with Mazda 2 Sport, perfectly decent car - recently nippy for what it is, good size for my purposes and I like the looks. Learned in a Civic (nice car but poor visibility due to spoiler), Corsa (ok, didn't want the associated boy racer baggage :D), and a Kia Proceed. I was looking at Fiesta sized cards after passing and the Mazda 2 (11 plate) was reasonably priced (4k) and insurance wasn't too crazy (£600).

Congrats!

Soldato
With that budget I wouldn't rule out the Punto personally. Now I am biased because we've owned one for many years now and it has been a cracking car.

Anyway, VFM wise they are pretty hard to beat and its pretty easy to find one with dual zone climate, parking sensors and in many cases cruise control because as the model has got that bit older they've been adding more kit as standard. Taking your middle budget of £4k you could get a good spec 62 plate Punto. A Fiesta at £4k will be at least 2.5 years older, probably more so if you want one with cruise, climate etc.

Sol

Sol

Associate
Congrats!
Thanks :D same to you! Another car I'd probably take a look at but might not be your thing is the Suzuki Swift, I really liked the look of the newer Swift Sport but there weren't that many around here. Seem to be very highly regarded and well equipped for the price.

Soldato
For a family car, look at the Skoda Octavia. It may sound odd, but if you have garaging, then look at a second-hand Maserati Quattroporte. The depreciation is ferocious the first few years but that's to your benefit.

Associate
Having recently helped buy my other halfs first car at 23 , make sure you check all sorts of cars as said above.

Her insurance was Similar on a 1.2 Mk1 Fabia to a Mid 2000s Passat, Audi A3/4, 05 Mondeo, some Saab estates etc

At 23, I had a 380bhp 4.0 Jag XJR insured for £720 FC - when they still wanted £1600 for a 2.0 Focus - figure that out.

Horrific MPG meant you'd be unlikely to ever drive it? :p

Thug
Soldato
I think he is being facetious...

OP I would recommend something extremely cheap. Bumps and scrapes can happen. A cheap bargain will hurt less than a more expensive car if it sustains damage. Go go low end.

Soldato
I'm 32 so I'm not sure if that will come into play with first-time-driver insurance
I was considerably older than that when I passed and yes, you will get hit with it, to a great degree. Also, 32 is not especially 'mature' in the grand scheme of things. When you can measure your NCB in decades - THAT is mature!! :D
You might be able to argue it down if you have any kind of road experience, maybe riding a motorcycle or driving for work. But do shop around and play companies off each other.

If it were me I'd look at a VW Golf
I would have suggested the same, but their reputation as solid, reliable hot hatches have led to many 2nd handers being either ragged and kevved to death by boy racers, or used, abused and neglected by those who just wanted a workhorse. Bit of a lottery, these days. New ones are kinda pricey.

For a family car, look at the Skoda Octavia.
+1 on this^
I got a mkI Octy, same 1.9 TDi 130PD engine as the Golf, but in a far more suitable car.
Insurance on that only cost me £400-ish in the end!

Soldato
OP
Bump. Life and driving instructor holidays got in the way but I took my test this morning and passed (first attempt)! Just had to deal with a suicidal pigeon but otherwise it went without incident! Now I really need to go through this thread again and start looking seriously. :eek:

Associate
Congrats on passing, I passed mine in May this year, had a motorbike for around 12 years and I got a Clio, great little car, 0.0 petrol but the same power as the diesel. I'm 38 and it costs around £1000 comprehensive.

Soldato
I'd do a few quotes for a variety of cars (Fiesta sized, focus sized and Mondeo sized) and a range of engine sizes.

Once you stick your detials into a comparison site it's quite to switch around and then you can gauge how much things will change and where upper and lower boundaries are.

Back
Top Bottom