First Custom Loop in a Define 7

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Might have aggressive fan profile ! Tweak and see .

Sure that case can have a fan mounted in the PSU/bottom to supply airflow direct to GPU

It's zero rpm below 50c, but during desktop usage it seems to be getting up and around that often enough to turn on.

No room in the bottom with all the wires for the extension cables.

Nice build Matt!

:D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Above is now moot anyway, got a reference 5700 XT from members market and ordered a water block and some extra fittings to add into the loop. The 5700 XT is a pretty decent card and should overclock to 2100 hopefully.

This also means I can fit the chipset water block too.

The 5700 XT Aorus I'm returning under 14 days policy, just seems pointless having a zero RPM mode when it goes over the threshold doing light desktop duties.

Soldato
Above is now moot anyway, got a reference 5700 XT from members market and ordered a water block and some extra fittings to add into the loop. The 5700 XT is a pretty decent card and should overclock to 2100 hopefully.

The 5700 XT Aorus I'm returning under 14 days policy, just seems pointless having a zero RPM mode when it goes over the threshold doing light desktop duties.
I enjoy this about your builds (refreshing) - you take advice, mull it over for few hours then act - zero prevarication/procrastination - pure motion to get to a solution.

The water block will fill that dark void too - should balance the lighting as whole within the build - plus will tie in the core components within the same cooling pattern.

Should look great - certainly an impressive start to your first toe dip into custom water.

Soldato

Not installed the Aorus engine ..? I just use that instead of MSI as it works for Aorus/Gigabyte cards .

Is odd your card is reaching above 60c for light loads. What was setting in Adrenalin?

See Alphacool hasn't had the Aorus model yet.. could have sent your card off for scanning and got a free block. But with China the way it is, would have taken longer then 7 weeks

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I enjoy this about your builds (refreshing) - you take advice, mull it over for few hours then act - zero prevarication/procrastination - pure motion to get to a solution.

The water block will fill that dark void too - should balance the lighting as whole within the build - plus will tie in the core components within the same cooling pattern.

Should look great - certainly an impressive start to your first toe dip into custom water.

Thanks, I was considering a riser card but I think for now I'm OK with it being in the normal position.

Not installed the Aorus engine ..? I just use that instead of MSI as it works for Aorus/Gigabyte cards .

Is odd your card is reaching above 60c for light loads. What was setting in Adrenalin?

See Alphacool hasn't had the Aorus model yet.. could have sent your card off for scanning and got a free block. But with China the way it is, would have taken longer then 7 weeks

For light loads it was between 48-55c which meant the fans kick in and those are more audible than my low RPM Noctuas and pump.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I think the threshold is 55c for the fans, but it doesn't shut off immediately, so in a lot of cases it will go to 55c and turn the fans on for a minute, even if it drops back to 53c.

Replying to a message on WhatsApp desktop and fans kick in.
aAeesFT.png

Could probably fix this by increasing front fan speed but that isn't something I would want to do in a quiet system when doing desktop duties.

Soldato
That's a really weird metric because dB are logarithmic! +3dB is double the energy and +10dB is twice the perceived loudness :D

/pedant :p

GPU fans are about 44dB plus, good case fans are 16dB at 100%

Your looks at Level Change against Volume loudness

+20dB is 4x as loud to humans
+40dB is 16x as loud to humans .

My son's autistic , can run Silent wings 3 fans at 100% and he's fine, Aorus RTX card goes full throttle and he gets his Ear defenders out or headset goes on :(

Soldato
GPU fans are about 44dB plus, good case fans are 16dB at 100%

Your looks at Level Change against Volume loudness

+20dB is 4x as loud to humans
+40dB is 16x as loud to humans .

My son's autistic , can run Silent wings 3 fans at 100% and he's fine, Aorus RTX card goes full throttle and he gets his Ear defenders out or headset goes on :(
Wow you're right, I never considered the dB ranges fans run at, generally the lower ranges. Whereas for instance 40dB to 80dB is bonkers. But 16 to 40 is quite believable.

Soldato
Wow you're right, I never considered the dB ranges fans run at, generally the lower ranges. Whereas for instance 40dB to 80dB is bonkers. But 16 to 40 is quite believable.

Gigabytes, Asus, MSI - will never trust what they state, some reviewers as well as not the most ideal testing .
Bit gutted as my son loves the Aorus GPU ARGB on the fans , , just the sound from it...
Least they are ditching it for next Gen GPU

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Ok so parts are coming today to add a water cooled 5700 XT into the loop. I'm also planning to add in the X570 chipset water block but that does mean removing the motherboard. I'll have to do a proper drain of the loop. My drain port is at the lowest part, any tips for getting all the water out and also making sure I don't get drips onto parts as I lift out rads and remove fittings and tubes?

Soldato
Open a stop/blank somewhere in the loop
I always have one at top radiator
Stops air locks when draining
I shove kitchen paper towel down end of
Tubes as I take them off to stop drips
It's only first time you drain it you find
Out how well it actually drains

Back
Top Bottom