First Home - Renovation Project

Associate
OP
Looks to me like you are going to be in your own little prison.

The wall spikes are just for the back of the property which is secluded and backs onto an overgrown lane, I don't want it to become Fort Knox but I don't want a welcoming opportunity for more intruders. These are a temporary fix until we move in...

Associate
OP
Some updates on the bathroom,

We fitted the mirror this weekend, I was impressed with the quality of the demister function and on/off sensor at the bottom - its well worth paying a little extra for one of these!

156yb28.jpg

w9hfma.jpg

Also started fitting the shower panels:

I managed to source single part white aluminium corner and trim which is harder to get but much better quality, most shops were trying to sell me the weaker two part plastic ones:

s29ksx.jpg

2i9ntw6.jpg

2pqkv0k.jpg

14ag5d5.jpg

Here's a close up of the corner to give you an idea on how good the seal is (it will also have a bead of silicone in front for another layer of protection)

6ehq0z.jpg

Associate
OP
Looking really good, have enjoyed reading this, apart from the bit about the scumbags who did the damage! Have you got a link to the electronic vent? I'm looking for something similar.

I used I-Sells for all the extractor fan parts, their tagline sounds like a dodgy corner shop but their pricing and customer service has been really good. I bought a Greenwood Elite 150MM kitchen fan and a Manrose MF125S Mixflow fan with a separate Manrose MAN1361 humidistat for the bathroom.

Good work matey. Our bathroom mirror has an IR switch to turn it on too, but the mirror itself is an infinity one where the LEDs look like they're providing a load of depth. The offset to this is the fact that it's next to useless as a mirror, but the wife wants what the wife wants.

Don't worry I can relate to this, mine wants glass stair railings which are completely overpriced and don't go with the age of the house... imagine all the hand prints after a few months!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How did you get on with the scum bags? Any news?

No its all gone quiet to be honest, the police are hopeless with these situations and I can see why people take it into their own hands instead. All I can do for now is secure my property. I recently had a stonemason over to see how much it will cost to rebuild the retaining wall out of Welsh blue pennant stone, not cheap but he's very skilled.

What is that shower panel made of? Is it going to be the final surface or are you tiling over it?

It's high gloss PVC T&G panels, these are the finished product. I know they are a bit boring but they are a sound investment from a functionality point of view, I don't have to worry about the grout or silicone failing with this design.

Associate
OP
Update?

I'm on the train - can't wait for the next pictures! Hope all is well :)

I was waiting for the plumber and tiler to finish before I posted an update but here's a sneak preview ;)

2dsh63t.jpg

301zxg4.jpg

2prtmk9.jpg

Supplies - I had to focus on flexible adhesive and grout that was technically suitable for plywood flooring which are prone to some vibration:
Mapei Ultraplan Self-Levelling Compound
Mapei Ultracolor Plus flexible grout
Bal single part flexible adhesive

Associate
OP
Where did u get the shower panels from and how many ££££

I bought the shower panels from ipsluk which I really regret, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! The shower panels came well packaged but on further inspection the internal packaging had coffee rings everywhere and every panel was crushed or damaged on the edges. As soon as I rang them they were fully aware of these problems and offered me 40% discount or collection straight away - this must have been a daily occurrence for them, a complete joke.

I ended up keeping them because I was in a rush to get them fitted, it took us around 3 hours longer just to re-cut all the damaged edges properly.

Here is their quote, they could only sell me plastic corner trim in white or chrome but they warned me that white doesn't match the shower panels...

24nfw36.jpg

I ended up buying the internal corner and trim elsewhere as I managed to find strong aluminium corner and trim in high gloss white. The company is called ceiling2floor (Wetrooms Distribution Ltd) who also do shower panels - I wish I went with them for it all, great customer service, quick delivery and I was able to pay with Paypal through their website - Just remember to register first or the 25% discount doesn't come off (I learn this the hard way).

I love these updates! :D

Nice work, you must feel happy when you see the individual rooms making such great progress?

Yeah it's a great feeling when they start to take shape, it's pretty much what keeps us going :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Taking shape now,

20s7pj5.jpg

qrgsgy.jpg

The first shower panel was a nightmare because there was a bow in the middle of the stud work, luckily the adhesive set strong after 275KG of weight held it in place over night.

2v1rxqe.jpg

ostsn4.jpg

2u8uuf6.jpg

r0poht.jpg

fo0j1t.jpg

2is6npe.jpg

Associate
OP
looking really nice, may i ask what are the cameras like? good quality and decent price?

The Hikvision cameras are brilliant, go for one with an EXIR design such as the DS-2CD2332-I or DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 (EXIR prevents any IR bleed and has very good night image quality). I went with the dome design for the added anti-vandal properties.

I've also bought a Huisun 10X camera with PTZ functionality which has a stripped down Hikvision GUI, this is amazing value for money:

Associate
OP
Thanks all

Really interesting thread, very inspiring and not at all jealous!!!

Regarding the cameras, the quality is very impressive - where did you source the Hisun camera from please?

Shenzhen Huisun Technology Co on Aliexpress, the firmware is not as mature as Hikvision but this is the best mini ptz on the market.

10 X Zoom
Code:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HUISUN-2-0MP-Waterproof-1080P-Full-HD-PTZ-IP-camera-full-functions-bullet-PTZ-camera/1248007_32379755297.html

4 X Zoom (wider area coverage)
Code:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HUISUN-Manufacture-2016-New-Model-2nd-generation-2MP-4X-with-POE-IP-Bullet-PTZ-Camera-CCTV/1248007_32612428681.html

Associate
OP
We've started cleaning up the garden, ready to patch up the stone wall and renew the fence - more details on this shortly

2wci4oz.jpg

2liwwlu.jpg

The walls on the coal shed were thicker than the house!

110goxw.jpg

2mwgqxg.jpg

6r1qw8.jpg

209j6fs.jpg

2rnev07.jpg

Associate
OP
Looks like the garden is fairly solid, are you going to dig it out or put in levels?

I think we'll end up digging up the top soil as it's been exposed to so much broken glass and rusty nails etc.

Who owns the bit of scrub behind those fence panels?
I was thinking that rear wall would look great with the bricks removed and re-built with stone, as its a bit patchy at the moment.
Nice bathroom :)

It's an overgrown lane that the council doesn't want to maintain...

Yeah that's exactly what we are planning to do, replacing the red brick and block with some nice face stone that we've saved. From there we are going to take down the old red brick wall on the right and level off with flagstone like the rest of the wall - this will promote symmetry and give us the foundations to fit a wooden fence on top. We did consider replacing the fence with a stone wall but it wasn't worth the money and we didn't want to turn the garden into a prison - I think a nice half stone wall and wooden fence is the best bang for buck and will look decent. I'll have more detail on this shortly.

You've been a busy bee :)

It was a good excuse to get out in the sun for a bit, I think we'll be quite bored once the house is finished and will end up looking for the next renovation project :)

Associate
OP
Back garden - finished clearing the rubble

aub529.jpg

Yale locks fitted on the front door, looking into further security such as decorative window grilles for the side panels and maybe a kickstop bar for reinforcement.

35b5w76.jpg

2nkqcjq.jpg

Also ran some CAT6 cable for a porch camera (on its way)

34dsaap.jpg

High gloss doors from Ikea fitted in the bathroom

2622l43.jpg

sc9q9d.jpg

Associate
OP
You aren't leaving the front door like that surely?

I'm keeping it Victorian as it gives the house character when done right. We are going to restore and reinforce the door soon - looking into period door furniture, security hinges, subtle reinforcement bars to address weak spots and decorative grille for the glass on the sides.

This is a great thread, excellent work! :)

Great work and a fantastic thread :) need more updates mind ;)

Thanks both

No updates for ages :(

How are you getting on OP?

Haha its been a busy month, sorry for the delay ;)

Associate
OP
I've fitted the porch camera - very impressed with the quality and now I know when the postman has been :p
2lsi32p.jpg

2d7ala1.jpg

1zbqe6o.jpg

My server cabinet has arrived, I went with a Videk Rack - 42U 600x600 - this was horrible to carry up the steps, I should have ordered it flat packed.

t83g45.jpg

I also discovered that my previously fitted speaker cable was junk (CCA):
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29424438

So I've bought some decent cable from a German manufacturer called DCSkabel. I'll be doing a lot of cabling over the next week - rewire speakers (Dolby atmos 5.1.2 setup), a couple of Cat6 runs for Unifi Access Points and one point for the last CCTV camera which will over look the front steps and car.

w7dmdt.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You'll be inviting me around for a cup of tea when you're done :D

I'll fetch some (upper middle class) biscuits :D

If you are ever in the valleys give me a shout
thumbs_up.gif

This month we are focusing on the outside:

2w2oshj.jpg

mwfz8j.jpg

119oz7o.jpg

33enb7t.jpg

The scaffolding has gone up around the house and our builder has started preparing the walls for new render on the gable end and around the rear - getting rid of the old defective render, racking out the cement/lime pointing and allowing them to dry out. The front of the house is getting a freshen up too with new cement pointing, chemical stone cleaning & sealing and paint stripping & restoring the sandstone window bay.

I went with the Universeal range for the stone cleaner, sealer and stripper:
zjudsx.jpg

The garden wall was built onto the side of the house before they rendered it! So we've taken it down for the new rendering and will replace it with a stronger (and extra secure) one :D

2wn67v8.jpg

2ytnwcl.jpg

We also dug up footings around the patio area for a new drainage channel that will divert surface water away from the house:

29yr0b5.jpg

Associate
OP
Small update

Some of the sand and cement has arrived for the render:
wivytc.jpg

The lead flashing needs to be replaced, previous roofers cut corners by using 3lb lead instead of 4lb lead - this has caused micro tears over the years from bad weather.
25i5gep.jpg

The front has been raked out:
21chxdz.jpg

2ilbplu.jpg

The last of the old render has been taken off the utility room.
106x9fk.jpg

The bathroom vent has been fitted - a short run going straight through the wall instead of fitting it through the roof and worrying condensation falling back down the pipe during the winter.
5wzg4x.jpg

The windows have been fitted with bead/drip
2dikpap.jpg

6zow8x.jpg

Associate
OP
The house has finally been rendered :) Very happy with the outcome, it will be completely watertight once the pointing has been completed tomorrow.

ieo514.jpg

2cz7trd.jpg

2i119oz.jpg

14u99uw.jpg

Stone cleaner, sealer and paint stripper:
o7ixdj.jpg

I want to wait around 4 weeks before I start painting to allow it time to dry out properly, I'm still debating whether to use a primer or not as the surface isn't very sandy/dusty.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The pointing has been finished and I sealed the stone with Universeal Rain-Off 'a water based, technical synthetic resin emulsion' which is stain resistant, water repellent and prevents moss and algae growth.

14o5ef8.jpg

2enuubq.jpg

30ufev6.jpg

We ended up going with Dulux Weathershield Trade paint in Pale Slate which complimented the house nicely and wasn't too sickly as we had so much to cover. We used sheep skin rollers in a medium/long pile and watered down the first 2 coats 5:1 and the last coat 10:1 - the coverage and overall finish was perfect. It took us 4 days to complete...

55rvxl.jpg

dpihy0.jpg

24mrt34.jpg

abimhc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom