First Home - Renovation Project

Associate
OP
As we are tiling the floor, I decided to replace the flooring with 25mm WBP plywood (water and boil proof) and add noggins. The main reason for this was to minimise deflection that would disturb the tiles and prevent adding a step into the bathroom...

Tiling brands Mapei and Bal recommend sealing the back and edges of the plywood before tiling (this includes WBP version) to prevent any swelling from moisture but their products were far overpriced for this. I decided to seal ours with a polyurethane vanish which is a liquid plastic so it should do the job.

ngpnqc.jpg

s477m9.jpg

I bought classi seal for the shower tray which is a extra layer of protection if the silicone fails in a few years. I was hesitant that it might be a snake oil product but I was impressed with the seal once we fitted it. Highly recommended.

317e3cy.jpg

244qsd4.jpg

14kad21.jpg

118k947.jpg

Cleaned out the joists, they were full of gravel and dust from the sandblasting and building work and added fresh insulation after fitting the noggins and plywood.

5clt00.jpg

wuq69l.jpg

28s664h.jpg

150mm off the last piece of plywood :(

2mmvbev.jpg

Mixed reviews on magnetic filters, I know a lot of large companies like British Gas install them with the boiler these days so i figured they may have some merit? even if it just collects some gunk in the system from gravity. I went with the Sentinel Eliminator because its got a leak free filter design, whereas others such as Fernox have been reported to leak (from reviews online).

262kv94.jpg

I'll also add some X100 Inhibitor and X300 cleaner as a part of the service once the radiators are filled.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just read the thread, Great work! doing my own place up at the moment.

Also went for the classi seal and then also put a latex membrane over the plasterboard and classi seal for extra extra protection.

Stone wall looks awesome!

Associate
OP
Just read the thread, Great work! doing my own place up at the moment.

Also went for the classi seal and then also put a latex membrane over the plasterboard and classi seal for extra extra protection.

Stone wall looks awesome!

That's what I'm looking into next, what membrane did you go for?
I'm considering Everbuild Aquaseal or Mapei Shower Waterproofing Kit

Soldato
Missed this thread first time round, looking great. Love that you have decided to leave some of the brick work exposed.

What do you anticipate a completion date?

Associate
OP
Missed this thread first time round, looking great. Love that you have decided to leave some of the brick work exposed.

What do you anticipate a completion date?

Right now without the kitchen installed (50/50) - We should have the majority completed before Christmas.

Used the Mapei stuff, Nice easy job to do. Just dont make my stupid mistake and wear some gloves or you will have latex hands for a few days :D

I've ordered the Everbuild product after watching the product review online, seems good value for money and looks very similar to the bal and mapei alternatives. Haha will do mate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoOHm4LiUE

Associate
amazing work love a good renovation my house was pritty much in the same state, even though it took along time it took me about a month of been finished then wanting to rip another house to bits ha, fresh walls that have been skimmed and painted are wierdly awesome

Last edited:
Soldato
That classi seal is good for bathtubs I tend to buy showers with up stands if possible though. Also would have been worth chipping away some of that aquapanel for the shower tray to dig into.

Associate
OP
That classi seal is good for bathtubs I tend to buy showers with up stands if possible though. Also would have been worth chipping away some of that aquapanel for the shower tray to dig into.

Always a good idea, our shower tray went in before the boards went on so they rest on the edge of the tray.

I was tempted but without the uprights built in, I'd be at risk of the silicone failing under the tile/board? I needed a flat surface for the classi seal to bind to and combined with the Everbuild aquaseal it should be suffice (I hope!).

You've got me over-thinking again now... haha

Associate
OP
Small update,

The radiator under the window looks so much better in my opinion, glad we decided to change it (Steelrad Softline 450 x 1400 P+)

160bq0p.jpg

2i7n7yt.jpg

wb3w49.jpg

Can't do much more in the bathroom until I've finished tiling, pointing, plastering and sealing shower area

2j0xiro.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always put radiators under windows it looks good saves on wasted wall space for furniture and reduces any condensation, downside being your radiator is on an outside wall and under a window so you loose heat. I've never been convinced but a lot of people put foil backed insulation behind radiators to tray and direct heat back into the house.

Soldato
I've always put radiators under windows it looks good saves on wasted wall space for furniture and reduces any condensation, downside being your radiator is on an outside wall and under a window so you loose heat. I've never been convinced but a lot of people put foil backed insulation behind radiators to tray and direct heat back into the house.

Historically this has always been the case as under windows is a place most people keep clear. Unfortunately one of the worst place to put a rad too! One reason is because is is always in an external wall secondly if you have curtains they tend to cover the top of the radiators so the hot convection currents go straight out the window, the coldest spot.

Soldato
I was tempted but without the uprights built in, I'd be at risk of the silicone failing under the tile/board? I needed a flat surface for the classi seal to bind to and combined with the Everbuild aquaseal it should be suffice (I hope!).

You've got me over-thinking again now... haha

Don't worry will be fine. The reason to chip it in is the aqua seal will be about 2mm proud so the tiles will kick out the bottom. The main reason you bed the shower tray in is your not completely relying on a silicon seal. Good job so far though.

Associate
OP
So we've come across a new problem. I've come back to find someone has broken my utility room window with no attempt at breaking in or nothing on the floor to indicate someone had thrown something at it.

http://i.imgur.com/lYhCE8x.jpg?1

So once again I'm left to put down my tools on one job and focus on another! I'm going to buy 3-4 Hikvision cameras, their quality is spot on for what I need. The hardest part is choosing optimum locations and lens (2.8mm, 4mm, 6mm, 12mm etc)

Last edited:
Sigh.

Time to sit in the back garden with a disc cutter and a stack of paving slabs.

Sorry to hear you've encountered such behaviour before you've had a chance to even settle in. Some people are just *****.

Soldato
As above, it's hardly like you were sandblasting the entire house. Yes it creates a lot of dust but it should be quick and simple and finished. I imagine the neighbours have a hint of jealousy that you're clearly spending a lot of time and money on this house.

Soldato
What type of mortar/plaster are you using? I assume it's a solid stone wall?

The reason I ask is because I'm in the process of buying a 1890s ish terraced house and I've read it's better to use lime based mortars and plasters because it allows the house to breath. Have you discussed this with your builder? I'm not sure how important it is tbh.

Back
Top Bottom