First Home - Renovation Project

How did you get on with the scum bags? Any news?

No its all gone quiet to be honest, the police are hopeless with these situations and I can see why people take it into their own hands instead. All I can do for now is secure my property. I recently had a stonemason over to see how much it will cost to rebuild the retaining wall out of Welsh blue pennant stone, not cheap but he's very skilled.

What is that shower panel made of? Is it going to be the final surface or are you tiling over it?

It's high gloss PVC T&G panels, these are the finished product. I know they are a bit boring but they are a sound investment from a functionality point of view, I don't have to worry about the grout or silicone failing with this design.

Hmm got to be very careful of the legal bits with spikes..

There are various types including systems with very long angled spikes designed for use around commercial or government buildings and a 15mm high plastic type designed specifically to sit on domestic garden walls and fences. I’ve seen the latter and I think it will be quite effective against the unprepared opportunist thief. They come in strips that can be nailed, screwed or glued to the top of the fence or wall. You’ll need to check with the local highways authority before you buy it to see at what height they would allow its use if the fence or wall borders the pubic highway or other land to which the pubic have access. It all rather depends on how they interpret its injurious status in respect to the Highways Act. The use of warning signs specific to the product is recommended. (See Highways Act 1980 Section 164 and Occupiers’ Liability Act 1984 and Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957 in The UK Law concerning fences, walls and gates )

Just need to be careful if it's a public area behind..

Update?

I'm on the train - can't wait for the next pictures! Hope all is well :)

I was waiting for the plumber and tiler to finish before I posted an update but here's a sneak preview ;)

2dsh63t.jpg

301zxg4.jpg

2prtmk9.jpg

Supplies - I had to focus on flexible adhesive and grout that was technically suitable for plywood flooring which are prone to some vibration:
Mapei Ultraplan Self-Levelling Compound
Mapei Ultracolor Plus flexible grout
Bal single part flexible adhesive

Where did u get the shower panels from and how many ££££

I bought the shower panels from ipsluk which I really regret, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! The shower panels came well packaged but on further inspection the internal packaging had coffee rings everywhere and every panel was crushed or damaged on the edges. As soon as I rang them they were fully aware of these problems and offered me 40% discount or collection straight away - this must have been a daily occurrence for them, a complete joke.

I ended up keeping them because I was in a rush to get them fitted, it took us around 3 hours longer just to re-cut all the damaged edges properly.

Here is their quote, they could only sell me plastic corner trim in white or chrome but they warned me that white doesn't match the shower panels...

24nfw36.jpg

I ended up buying the internal corner and trim elsewhere as I managed to find strong aluminium corner and trim in high gloss white. The company is called ceiling2floor (Wetrooms Distribution Ltd) who also do shower panels - I wish I went with them for it all, great customer service, quick delivery and I was able to pay with Paypal through their website - Just remember to register first or the 25% discount doesn't come off (I learn this the hard way).

I love these updates! :D

Nice work, you must feel happy when you see the individual rooms making such great progress?

Yeah it's a great feeling when they start to take shape, it's pretty much what keeps us going :)

Last edited:
Taking shape now,

20s7pj5.jpg

qrgsgy.jpg

The first shower panel was a nightmare because there was a bow in the middle of the stud work, luckily the adhesive set strong after 275KG of weight held it in place over night.

2v1rxqe.jpg

ostsn4.jpg

2u8uuf6.jpg

r0poht.jpg

fo0j1t.jpg

2is6npe.jpg

looking really nice, may i ask what are the cameras like? good quality and decent price?

The Hikvision cameras are brilliant, go for one with an EXIR design such as the DS-2CD2332-I or DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 (EXIR prevents any IR bleed and has very good night image quality). I went with the dome design for the added anti-vandal properties.

I've also bought a Huisun 10X camera with PTZ functionality which has a stripped down Hikvision GUI, this is amazing value for money:

Back
Top Bottom