First house :) some improvements

Associate
[FnG]magnolia;28045315 said:
Couple of things:

(1) Looks ace and impressed you're doing this yourself.
(2) Tesco sell kitchens? Wat.
(3) Your use of 'woman' makes me laugh far more than it should do :D

I think tesco is his mobile network/ broadband provider.

Where is the kitchen from? Looks quality!

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;28045315 said:
Couple of things:

(1) Looks ace and impressed you're doing this yourself.
(2) Tesco sell kitchens? Wat.
(3) Your use of 'woman' makes me laugh far more than it should do :D
Doing what we can to save costs. My Dad is a joiner who built the house so he's helping out where he can.
Him and a friend hand made the kitchen which is in now and is a little bit miffed to why we are taking it out don't think he realises it's over 20 years old now and done!!

I used to call the woman the other half but people kept asking if I was gay!!

I think tesco is his mobile network/ broadband provider.

Where is the kitchen from? Looks quality!
The kitchen is from starplan here in n.ireland. I really could not believe the price. Was gobsmacked when it was only a few hundred pounds more than a medium to low end range kitchen from b&q.
For an IT kitchen its was coming in around 5.5k not fitted fitting fee was 3k lol

Before we decided to go for granite the bill was around 6.3k fitted from Starplan

Soldato
OP
Ugh been making a mess lol
The tiles where a right pain to remove from the floor and made some holes which I have now repaired lol . Was about two days to lift the tiles and take the adhesive off!!! Going to put a levelling layer on before my dad tiles it.
7B0C8009-000C-4EB5-9DFB-C3E61AA1E0C2_zps788rkk9v.jpg

Getting my mate to wire up the sockets but told me to do the chasing lol. 15mins into the job and I realised why he wanted me to do it.... Any ideas how to break into the roofspace without making a total pigs ear of it?
7CFC90C4-3CE1-453D-85F9-44E9E7EE65E0_zpsalawscnk.jpg

I be glad to see the end of this dust!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting my mate do wire up the sockets but told me to do the chasing lol. 15mins into the job and I realised why he wanted me to do it....

You're mate is an evil genius. Hated chasing our kitchen, had to do 8 channels and couldn't see a thing after each one.

A hole saw should enable you to get into the roof space for cabling. Then whack some coving up to hide the hole :)

Soldato
What are you using to cut your chases?

my OCD levels are high after seeing your marks on the walls... is there not a straight edge you can use to mark out? lol. ideally chases should be level / plumb so you know exactly where the cable should be if you come to drill near it in the future. They don't look that off, but still!

Laser level is the quickest way to mark out, but a simple spirit level acts as a straight edge and a level. you need to get your back boxes level too otherwise you will have minimal room to straighten them afterwards.

I've also noticed you're installing back boxes for portrait cooker / appliance switches - have you checked that you can get that style of switch to match the rest of your (presumably) new sockets?

Soldato
OP
Lol no worrys the marker lines are making it look worse than it is. The boxes will be level once cemented in. In fact that second one will be more outside of those lines than in lol

My thoughts on the matter was make the holes bigger as it's easier to fill in than to recut!!

Haven't got round to buying the faceplates for the boxes yet thinking of getting all brushed steel. One range cooker one fridge and 1 double socket. The plugs to the right are getting removed as that is where the mantel will be for the range

In a few weeks you never see the mess I had made once it's all filled in and the tiles are up :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes. we decided to get it hooked up to the heating. Just burning scrap dry wood and pallets and it's getting the water and rads medium warm. Will need coal and better wood in the coldest of months.

thank you. I just hope we can afford the woman dream kitchen or I be getting my new axe in my back lol

My dad came round and fitted a bit of skirting. Still needs painting. Carpets went down yesterday. :)
This is it almost finished
B40CBCF6-18A6-4742-92C3-32D4AA3941C5_zpsdejop8i0.jpg

what colour is your carpet?

sorry for sad post only i quite like it, any more pics

Soldato
OP
I like your fire place, how much did that set you back?

What app did you use for that kitchen design?

I just bought a house (woot!), and plan to do pretty much the same thing you have been doing.

I also plan to knock down a wall to make the kitchen larger/open plan.
it was around 2.6k.
It's a British made one not Chinese. Stratford. Worth every penny imho. It's muti fuel been burning mostly pallets which is enough to heat the living room and take the chill out of the air around the rest of the house.

They burn way to fast and half the time the fire goes out but it takes seconds for the new load of wood to light.

Been trying out different types of coal. Omg never felt heat like it. Nearly puddles of sweat on the sofa and rads piping hot!

Can't wait to get some decent hardwood. Can buy plenty of cheap Apple wood as am from the orchard county in N.ireland :)

That's not an app just a screen shot of an email that was sent to us.
I could not believe the price of the kitchen fitted before I added in the granite. I almost settled for a low end b&q kitchen only really went in star plan for a nosey and the woman fell in love with that kitchen.

what colour is your carpet?

sorry for sad post only i quite like it, any more pics
If I remember correctly is called soft dapple.

Would take more pictures for you but the house is a tip atm lol

Last edited:

noj

noj

Associate
looking nice!
A decent quality kitchen that will last longer is a good investment, something that should still be looking good in 10 years.

Soldato
OP
Gahhh I've put around 50 hours into the kitchen to get it ready for fitting. Which was today :) was pretty hard as I have a full time job but don't think we could afforded to get someone to do it.
C8148A4C-F529-445C-A7EE-3F99FD2DE2E3_zps8b2fmibr.jpg

41C19919-C657-42C0-88E3-867F6BB501BD_zpsc99uwi12.jpg

416E7C63-B83B-4C5E-803E-2FE2D2D2515D_zpstn8yaysw.jpg

Dad will be coming round to tile the floor this or next week.

The granite company should be round soon to make a template then once they are done the kitchen people come back and finish the mantle

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well the floor is done. Just needs grouted. Know a lot of people will scream you must tile the whole floor and other will say no. My dad likes to tile while the kitchen is in even though it makes his job a lot harder and slower.

Also the last kitchen we had lasted 20 years and the floor was tiled twice. I don't fancy ripping out the cupboards and granite to redo the floor.

Still can't decide on cream or grey.

Cream looks nice but hard to keep.

Grey the tiles have a spec of grey flicks and specks running though them also we doing the walls grey and white. Plus it's easier to keep clean.
90523729-89A1-419A-A117-D32A16C76BC2_zpscuaglcjx.jpg

C1948A1B-F5EA-4175-803F-2B2AE73DAB65_zpsn0497mdi.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hard choice, could you do a sample on that back bit by the wall where i presume the cooker is going? might be good to see it back to back

Back
Top Bottom