First house :) some improvements

Associate
Like the floor tiles, they look really smart. Regards to grouting, I would go with grey, have cream tiles in the kitchen with white grouting and you end up steaming and scrubbing once a year to turn it from black back to white..

Soldato
OP
Nice tiling job, it really lights the room up.

Like the floor tiles, they look really smart. Regards to grouting, I would go with grey, have cream tiles in the kitchen with white grouting and you end up steaming and scrubbing once a year to turn it from black back to white..
thanks I know he my dad but he has a reputation as being a very good joiner. Can't meet anybody on the street without being told that. Any work he has done for me he uses the line.
"It's your choice but it would look best this way!!" Lol

Went went with grey in the end be getting done today.

This is the slab of granite out worktops is getting cut from.
3B13ACF5-CA42-4B45-94D7-CD93D30806AB_zpsw5fuikas.jpg

Will be ready for Thursday then the range comes on Friday. We ordered this
DEEEBF63-EEC7-4A87-B25B-EF58E262D0DA_zpsmmwiethd.jpg

Can anyone tell me should the granite company or plumber be cutting the hole for the taps?

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone tell me should the granite company or plumber be cutting the hole for the taps?

When we had ours quartz top fitted, it came already with all the necessary cut outs. I'd be getting the granite company to make sure it was all done properly so its ready for the plumber tbh.

Soldato
Looking good. I can feel all your pain. Had an extension completed a few weeks ago, builder was going to fit the kitchen, but after 4 days he had only done 3 units and a section of worktop with Sink so sacked him off and done it myself, alongside my normal day job. Just got the cornice, pelmet and wall tiling to do to finish it. Having a quick break on ocuk as I'm in the middle of laying 22m2 of engineered wood floor having done 13m2 of tiling last weekend!... My hands are in bits!

Soldato
OP
Looking good. I can feel all your pain. Had an extension completed a few weeks ago, builder was going to fit the kitchen, but after 4 days he had only done 3 units and a section of worktop with Sink so sacked him off and done it myself, alongside my normal day job. Just got the cornice, pelmet and wall tiling to do to finish it. Having a quick break on ocuk as I'm in the middle of laying 22m2 of engineered wood floor having done 13m2 of tiling last weekend!... My hands are in bits!
think at one stage I had blisters under blisters!!! Totally underestimated the amount of prep work that was needed!!!

Soldato
OP
Granite company has installed the worktop :) Kitchen fitters coming back on Wednesday to install the mantel

8E5A15BB-EEF2-46A2-AF17-E1A2317B817B_zpssupr2xi1.jpg

The taps just sat on lol Dam sink has cost us a small fortune.
EBBE8995-2D69-4690-AF7D-5C119CEF9C60_zpsxytjmc3y.jpg

DF451B54-5A95-41F3-BC91-F7B1E8198593_zpsdd5awbck.jpg

What do you guys think of the above combination of tiles?

Soldato
Dunno if I dig the tiles tbh in that scheme, maybe have to see the whole thing to make a proper judgement on it. I reckon if I got back drop tiling on my kitchen worktop I'd go for smaller square tiles of the same colour across the board.

Granite worktop looks very nice though. I'd love a good granite worktop :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks

Looks very nice that worktop. How do they fix them to the cabinets?
some very strong glue? Not sure tbh was at work when it was installed haven't had a good nosey yet.

Dunno if I dig the tiles tbh in that scheme, maybe have to see the whole thing to make a proper judgement on it. I reckon if I got back drop tiling on my kitchen worktop I'd go for smaller square tiles of the same colour across the board.

Granite worktop looks very nice though. I'd love a good granite worktop :)
When the mantel goes in think we be able to get a better idea what to go for.

We are very happy with the granite and in general very happy with how the kitchen is turning out. It's feels and looks huge compared to what it did before.

Soldato
I reckon plain white for the back tiling would look good too, and I love big floor tiles think they work fantastically, yours look good :)

Get a pic up of the tiling with the grout at some point!

Soldato
OP
I reckon plain white for the back tiling would look good too, and I love big floor tiles think they work fantastically, yours look good :)

Get a pic up of the tiling with the grout at some point!

So glad my dad basically told us he wanted to tile the floor in a step. Suits the room much better. (floor hasn't been washed since it was grouted just a quick rub down)
4778B9EF-0A59-47E1-B202-F8A49310691C_zpsi72y1rf6.jpg

Took the day off work waiting on my range to come. It never did :( Turns out it was getting delivered to the depot in N.Ireland not to me on Friday lol.

Ahh well Mantel getting finished on Wednesday the day the cooker is really coming.

Last edited:
Soldato
The work in your living room looks great as does the new Kitchen! Your Dad's done a brilliant job with the floor tiles :cool:

Looking forward to seeing more
icon14.gif

Soldato
OP
Thanks!!!

Mantel and cooker in place.
9A500174-E265-4332-9CD6-F901C9B8ACF2_zpsyydildhf.jpg

The tiles we had above looked even worse with the cooker and mantel so we going to get a few samples of the tiles below

C67CD37F-8C21-4C52-AF7C-6E75F1BE99D2_zps7smu1hkx.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We went with the above but a little bit darker. One tile to match the cooker, one to match the work surface and one to match the cupboards.

Love the end product and the other half likes it even more.

I can't get a picture of the tiling round the window because of the sun
F2EAA3F4-DEE7-4C9B-A81C-8B54CF62B460_zpsfcikq99r.jpg

E3ACC07A-5C2F-465B-81FF-B3EFB74CF85E_zpsvngnn67b.jpg

My mum give us this table but it badly worn and was too dark. So the woman got a mouse sander and did this in a few days
A8B2693E-1CFC-4A2E-8112-AF4B5B73581B_zps7no5hquh.jpg
we are going to Reupholster the chairs in a nice tartan. The table was bigger than that but we removed the centre part.

Kinda flat out broke so any more updates will be slow!

Jobs to finish off the kitchen are replace the lighting with led. Replace the sockets and pick under cabinet lighting.

Back
Top Bottom