First impressions & Teardown: Acer Revo RL70 AMD Sff System

Associate
I have a feeling only the very top end model, the one with the Blu-ray, comes with a remote and built in TV Tuner.

I can't answer any of your questions, IXL, as I know nothing about soldering or fitting a card into a pre-built machine, but I'd say it'd be far far less hassle to just buy a USB TV tuner like the one Gingerbeardman is considering (PCTV 290e). Of course, if you feel like a little modding (you've clearly already opening it up), then feel free to do so :D

Gingerbeardman, I've messaged RoughNeckTwoZero over at HotUKDeals and asked him a few questions about the TV tuner and his thoughts of it with the RL70. He hasn't replied yet, but if he does, I'll post here on what he says.

IXL

IXL

Associate
Thanks for your reply Crackerbear, I appreciate the suggestion too of the PCTV 290e. For the record I hadn't considered an external one because in the past these got/get really hot and the connectors tend to be weak and break.

However, this seems like a good model, ESP being Hd.

For the record, I also wasn't considering actually doing any soldiering, I purely thought some sort of fixing could be achieved for the socket. As for the card and internal cable, I assumed a card is simple to install, the cabling I'm not so sure of.

It would be a shame if these could not be done, so perhaps an external USB is in order.

I'll let you know.

Before I got mine, I asked around about the blu ray version. The ones that I could only find we're the Linux version, which would not of been a problem, but also know-one could clarify if it was fitted with the radeon and if it was dual core and wi-fi or not. (Every other model stated these, so I went for my model instead. ( I never saw one with a tv card pre-installed until yesterday on the YouTube post )

Ho hum.

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
@IXL The service manual doesn't have the part number for the TV tuner card. So it's going to be tricky and expensive. A PCIe TV card is mentioned near the beginning of this thread, but no idea how good it will be for Freeview. I'm looking into a USB solution.

No joy here with Universal remotes. Might try tracking down an Acer remote. I've also got an external IR receiver on its way.

Last edited:

IXL

IXL

Associate
@IXL The service manual doesn't have the part number for the TV tuner card. So it's going to be tricky and expensive. A PCIe TV card is mentioned near the beginning of this thread, but no idea how good it will be for Freeview. I'm looking into a USB solution.

No joy here with Universal remotes. Might try tracking down an Acer remote. I've also got an external IR receiver on its way.

Thanks mate. I was beginning to fear this.

I'll probably get the USB, I just hope its up to the job.

My only other solution is to find ( somehow ) the TV Card edtion of the RL70 Revo and buy one. ( Which I havent been able to find here in the UK ).

It's a shame, as if I could get this, id get two. There that good imo. I just wanted an all in one. So far im having to fit an external IR and possibly now a TV USB Stick. :(

I installed a few games on it at the weekend, runs World of Tanks perfectly fine and also Company of Heroes... I doubt it would run BF3 etc.

May I ask where and which IR you have ordered?

Cheers

IXL

Associate
If we're patient we will hear something about the TV side of things.

I think you'd be OK ordering in the bluray/TV/remote version. From my reading it is all that you want. They're all dual core, Radeon, wifi. I saw some good listings in Google Shopping search. Product code: DT.SJEEK.009

I've not got anything working on the remote side yet, so I'm just wasting money trying things out right now. I'd rather nobody else wasted anything so I'll be sure to report back when I manage to get it working.

IXL

IXL

Associate
Interesting... thanks for that.

The plan is to have one for the living room and a standard one for the bedroom. ( the one I currently have is for the b/room ).

Thats not too badly priced... esp as it includes the Blu-ray AND the tuner for £100 more than the same spec as the one I currently have.

Hmm.

Associate
Last edited:

IXL

IXL

Associate
Great minds....

I looked at some of these last night and what I cant work out is the wiring to be honest.

On these cards ( knowone seems to say if its supplied ) there needs to be a cable which clips onto the card, then runs from the card, to a socket for an aerial plug. ( perhaps a trip to a Maplins is in order? )

I agree there not stated or seem to have any HD versions... I did "question" the seller on the Revo at DT.SJEEK.009 but am awaiting for a reply whether it comes with a remote and also what kind of tv card is fitted.

I think its just now clarity we are after... we know what we want... ;)

Associate
Hey Guys, just thought I'd chime in here, I have an RL70 the dvd drive version , I have modded mine to include 4gb ram and I installed a crystal HD card in the spare mini pcie slot.

I have tried a few combinations of software, like openelec xbmc buntu etc, but I couldn't get a reliable TV live tv setup, So I have a PC with all TV tuners in running DVB Logic (software), which I can then connect the RL70 to with a client but the kicker is the client just presents Media Center with the tuners on the other PC/server and this works really well for both HD and SD broadcasts.

I have XBMC installed with the MCE plugin which seamlessly close's MCE and starts XBMC and then vice versa when you want to switch back. In XBMC 11 it supports the crystal HD card out of the box so MKV,s h264 all decoded in hardware and look superb. for VC 1 WMV etc I use the DVXA setting as the GPU on the e-450 is pokey enough to handle this job.

Just wanted to add my experience with this little beauty!

Last edited:

IXL

IXL

Associate
Thanks fella for some ideas.

If I may ask, how did you fit the feeding aerial cable to the crystal HD card? Is it supplied?

Still, the point I am trying to really achieve is to really REMOVE the PC I currently have ( micro ATX case ) to something sweeter, smaller and faster such as the Revo... If I understand you correct, this second PC is something you have running in the background. I suppose I could do this, but its something else that needs space and also would consumer more power... :( I have to be honest, I dont quite understand how you have set

I have not ever used XBMC, until this moment, standard WMC 7 has been fit for purpose, although a year or so back, I did use Media Portal... which was good, but had a few quirks.

I might have to look into XBMC.

I guess im back to the original situation where the USB is the winner ( for me anyway ) ?

IXL

Associate
No Problem IXL

the crystal HD card is just an HD video decoder so does no TV work so no arial connection persay, your best bet really is a USB dual tuner of sorts or single if that suites.

Yes I have a file/TV server that sit's in the background and drives 2 xbox 360s as extenders and the RL70 which is the living room HTPC.

The thing I have found is there are so many ways to achive the same thing it's just whats the best fit is for you. I always come back to windows Media center cos it's simple and reliable tried all else and like you say they have some quirks although Media Portal is very polished now and has some nice plugins.

Good luck with your plans.

IXL

IXL

Associate
Hmm. Nice setup mate. I suppose the Crystal card is a useful and cheap addon that would "assist" the experience. It makes sence to do that and take advantage of the free slot.

Is the card just a simple install, or was there some jiggery pokey with settings and drivers? From what you have said, this works fine with xmbc, I just wondered if it would run with w7 WMC on its own merit?

Sorry for asking so many questions, just keen to explore all options and get a clear understanding of what's achievable.

Cheers

IXL

Associate
@ IXL the install is insert the card, install drivers job done, XBMC does the rest.

@ Gingerbreadman - simply wanted to try it out , and for the AMD you'd need codecs installed I have no codecs installed at all. Admittedly the XBMC doesn't really need codecs anyway. But I installed just cos I could and it was a cheap upgrade.

IXL

IXL

Associate
I don’t want to hijack this thread, but as we mentioned it, I thought I would update you. ( well a little ).

After some consideration and reading different theory's this week, I went for the PCTV 290e.

I ordered it and it arrived yesterday. Haven’t fitted it yet, but already it has disappointed me.

This might be of no significance and I could be unnecessarily worried, ( photos will come later ) but the PCTV 290e comes with a socket PIN adapter which plugs into the USB device to accommodate the aerial plug. What this is, is a 3mm diameter pin which plugs into the small hole on the rear of the USB device.

I have had about 3 of these DVB devices over the last 6-7 years from different manufacturers some of which had the same fitment, but had hoped this PCTV 290e would not and instead have a fitted socket to it, but it doesn’t.

The issue is, that this pin is extremely weak after a period of time and wear and can often break.

This makes the entire unit useless, as you cannot get the part replaced.

Compare images on a rear of a WinTV NOVA-TD-Stick TV Tuner and this PCTV 290e and you should see what I mean. ( I didnt notice this at the time this week before I ordered ).

I’m hoping this doesn’t happen, but as its an external item, we just have to take extra caution.

I just thought I’d mention this. However the Mag-mount aerial looks good, it has a telescopic part to it with a direct plug to the pin socket, instead of having to use the adapter.

Software on CD still to be installed - You will naturally need to bump this to a memory stick or use an external usb dvd drive to install it on the revo if you don’t have the dvd/blu-ray combo version.

I'll try and review it properly ( on another thread if people want ) on the Revo RL70.

/Still had NO reply from A$er D!rect or two other sellers about the DT.SJEEK.009 and if this comes with a remote and what sort of TV card is fitted.... :(

Last edited:
Associate
I knew about the PCTV 290e having a PIN adapter, but it never dawned on me the wear and tear issues. I guess, if you don't move the aerial or unit often, it's less of an issue?

Anyway, I for one would be interested in a review of your experiences with the PCTV 290e and RL70, I was considering to get one myself.

Just in case you run into a similar issue, a review over at That Rainforest Store says that the supplied software is essentially junk, but MythTV works very well.

IXL

IXL

Associate
Its true if you dont intend on moving it, not that I do, but a consideration....

I just need the device and driver.. Im hoping W7 WMC will do the rest, like all my other cards have done.

The remote looks and feels a bit pants. Its about the thickness of a Boost Bar but half the length.

Last edited:

IXL

IXL

Associate
WOW.

Had to post a quick reply on this since installing.

I'll run through a proper review like I said later, but this is GREAT on the Acer Revo RL70.

Seamless.

Installs and is detected WITHOUT the software / driver from the supllied CD on Windows 7.
Device Glows Blue when in use.
Detected 140 Channels ( Hertfordshire area ) in approx 15 mins, but this is usually this slow anyway.
HD channels are amazingly good. Very impressed.

No Judder, no lag. Records and plays back HD fine.

Very impressed so far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom