First impressions & Teardown: Acer Revo RL70 AMD Sff System

Associate
That's great to hear :D

What are you using to view the TV channels? Windows Media Center?

It's somewhat of a shame the 290e isn't a dual tuner.

I've spent the past few days setting up XBMC with my RL70. I had a bit of a pain getting my MCE Remote to work with Eventghost, turns out I needed to disable the built-in IR in the BIOS for things to work properly.

Last edited:
Associate
All HD channels are on the same Mux right now, and AFAIK the 290e can record multiple steams from the same Mux. So a dual tuner would be mostly wasted right now. Would be nice for future proofing it though.

Last edited:

IXL

IXL

Associate
Yes. WMC7. I dont really know what advantages there would be / are of installing a second media software package... My other PC's around the home ( all 6 of them ) use the same to watch recorded TV from the main living room media centre ( which is now the RL-70 ), so would mean adding that software to all those too. Currently WMC7 does what we need out of the box. Inc the pictures and music too, and with the Catchup TV plugin.

The 290e installed all by itself on the revo, no issues, no software no manual searches for the device driver. What I didnt meation was the remote that is supplied doest come with batteries either... which is no big deal, as I dont need it anyway, will be using the WMC7 Remotes, which work fine anway, but another dissapointment.

This below is not relevant to the RL70, but a heads up on the 290e.

What I did also do as a test, is install the 290e on the media pc I already was using prior to the revo. This is a nice PC, with what had a PinnaclePCTV 310i Hybrid Pro PCI card. This is running W7 professional 32 bit. I removed the card and installed the 290e.

I had to manually search ( find via internet search ) for the device driver for the 290e., which isnt a problem, but a surprise, as the RL70 on W7 64 bit home edition, found it no problem without intervention. Later, In WMC7, it also although DID detect the tuner device but in the pre-channel search, didnt detect any tv signal, which was odd, but if you skip this process and continue anyway, it still found all the channels, inc the HD ones. So some sort of wierd hicup there I think.

Other than that, very happy with the Revo so far. Still not happy with he pin adapter on the usb. Even if the cable is tied with slack to the device, it still looks like its "leaning" on the pin. I guess its just has to be that way, but it doesnt look all that secure and tight.

I guess a dual tuner option would really make this all worth while. However for the money, if these come down a little, could a second be fitted?

IXL

Last edited:

IXL

IXL

Associate
I finally have had one reply from one of two that I contacted regarding the build in remote on the RL70.

Ive ordered a second one of these, this time with the blu-ray combo, tv reciever etc. ( DT.SJEEK.009 ) for the living room and will use a PCTV 290e on it. My other standard RL70 ( see my first post spec, 4gb ram etc will be for the bedroom ).

Here was my question:

I understand that some of these models has a built in infra-red reciever and remote...can you please confirm?

Here is their reply:

This product comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse but does not have an infra-red receiver nor a remote control.

So im a little confused if these ACTUALLY do come with a remote. I've never seen one. Still...

Here is a response from A$er themeselves..

that is an end of line model.
We have the new version, the RL100, I will send you a quote shortly with both so you can compare.
Regards

Which was not any help and besides the RL100 is way too big for what I was after.

Sometimes I think they miss the point...

Associate
The remote is shown in the service manual - download link earlier in the thread.

I've got one on the way from eBay, will keep you informed.

The consumer infrared "CIR" receiver is standard, too. It can be enabled/disabled in the BIOS.

Last edited:

IXL

IXL

Associate
The remote is shown in the service manual - download link earlier in the thread.

I've got one on the way from eBay, will keep you informed.

The consumer infrared "CIR" receiver is standard, too. It can be enabled/disabled in the BIOS.

I'll have to look at the manual when it arrives. ( I see which one you mean now after downloading it... hmm - let me know how you get on with yours... )

The receiver I see in the system settings ( see my previous post screen shots ) is enabled in BIOS as standard ( for me it was anyway ) on my non blu ray edition of the rl70, but couldnt get it to work with the MS WMC Remotes. Ive still to sit down with it and see what needs tweaking, but "historically" Ive never had to do anything, usually they all work or have done for me in the past. I think I may of just been lucky.

IXL

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking for a cheap mini-pc for the bedroom and I'm between a Zotac Zbox and the Acer RL70, which seems like very good value.

For those that have one, could you tell me if it is powerful enough for the following tasks:

* General web browsing and emails
* Watching videos/streams in HD (1080p?)
* Light programming...mostly mucking about in Python
* Listening to music

If I can get a small PC which can do all that for ~£250 I will be very happy!

IXL

IXL

Associate
I'm looking for a cheap mini-pc for the bedroom and I'm between a Zotac Zbox and the Acer RL70, which seems like very good value.

For those that have one, could you tell me if it is powerful enough for the following tasks:

* General web browsing and emails
* Watching videos/streams in HD (1080p?)
* Light programming...mostly mucking about in Python
* Listening to music

If I can get a small PC which can do all that for ~£250 I will be very happy!

Providing your not trying to do all these at the same time, I have had no problems at all. I cant comment on HD Streaming from a Wireless point of view, but the playback is fine for HD videos via LAN through via my NAS.

I have the Model - Acer Revo RL70 Nettop PC, AMD E450 1.65GHz Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB ( actually turned out to arrive as 640G HD) HDD, NOOPT, AMD HD6320, Wifi, HDMI, Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Includes a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. No remote.

I was so impressed Ive ordered another for the other room, this time with the Blu Ray and Tuner. > Acer Revo RL70 Nettop PC, AMD E450 1.65GHz Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, Blu-Ray Combo with TV Tuner, AMD HD6320, Wifi, HDMI, Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Includes a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. Again No remote ( apparently ). Should arrive this week.

Dont get me wrong, im not mad, but have been saving and looking for a replacement for about a year which was well overdue to my current setup. You could look at the RL100, but for me, thats too large.

I just need to find the remote for mine to complete the puzzle.

IXL

Last edited:

IXL

IXL

Associate
The built in ir receiver doesn't seem to be MS/WMC/MCE/R6. Probably Acer proprietary.

Seems strange that even Acer themselves told me that the RL doesnt come with a receiver ( see my previous post ) Im hoping it doesnt need a usb reciever, like the supplied keyboard and mouse uses, with the built in one no use at all....

Last edited:
Associate
Providing your not trying to do all these at the same time, I have had no problems at all. I cant comment on HD Streaming from a Wireless point of view, but the playback is fine for HD videos via LAN through via my NAS.

I have the Model - Acer Revo RL70 Nettop PC, AMD E450 1.65GHz Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB ( actually turned out to arrive as 640G HD) HDD, NOOPT, AMD HD6320, Wifi, HDMI, Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Includes a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. No remote.

I was so impressed Ive ordered another for the other room, this time with the Blu Ray and Tuner. > Acer Revo RL70 Nettop PC, AMD E450 1.65GHz Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, Blu-Ray Combo with TV Tuner, AMD HD6320, Wifi, HDMI, Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Includes a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. Again No remote ( apparently ). Should arrive this week.

Dont get me wrong, im not mad, but have been saving and looking for a replacement for about a year which was well overdue to my current setup. You could look at the RL100, but for me, thats too large.

I just need to find the remote for mine to complete the puzzle.

IXL

Thanks for that, it's a big help.

I won't be doing all at once, and I meant watching online streams not streaming as a HTPC. Good to hear it can stand up to general PC tasks.

Associate
Seems strange that even Acer themselves told me that the RL doesnt come with a receiver ( see my previous post ) Im hoping it doesnt need a usb reciever, like the supplied keyboard and mouse uses, with the built in one no use at all....
Actually, this guy (who has the bluray version) has more info on the remote. He calls it MCE, but I tried to get clarification from him with no joy:
http://petesmith.blogsite.org/?p=581

@Riddell: it's a mighty little PC, I use mine to play emulated video games. It can cope with everything up to and including N64. I also use openelec/xbmc for 1080p HD playback.

Last edited:

IXL

IXL

Associate
Actually, this guy (who has the bluray version) has more info on the remote. He calls it MCE, but I tried to get clarification from him with no joy:
http://petesmith.blogsite.org/?p=581

@riddell: it's a mighty little PC, I use mine to play emulated video games. It can cope with everything up to and including N64. I also use openelec/xbmc for 1080p HD playback.

Maybe he made a mistake. I mean, clarification is all we need and its about this single thing that seems to be so vague.

IXL

IXL

Associate
I managed to nip home for the delivery. :)

I havent tested any of it, but opened the box. I'll do a proper post later.

I can confirm the remote IS included ! :) ( with rear keyboard on the remote ) I will test this out on my standard RL70 to see if has any functionality/detection.

There is an aerial socket small adapter included for the standard aerial plugs, which is great.

Its about double the height of the standard RL70.

Cant wait to get back home again to set it all up. :)

So for what its worth, whoever told at Ac$r this does not include the remote, is talking out of there $%£W

Silly question time...

Is it possible to use two tv tuners?

I have a second spare, which is a creative labs one which ive found.. it got me thinking if I could use it as well, as a second tuner to allow recording and watching at the same time.

IXL

Last edited:
Associate
I can confirm the remote IS included ! :)
I suspected that was the case, it'd be dumb for there not to be a model where no remote was included.

How much did you pay for it? Must be in the region of £350.

I have no experience with 2 separate tuners, but as far as I know, Windows Media Centre does support multiple tuners so I presume there won't be a problem.

IXL

IXL

Associate
I dont think they include the remote with the Linux combo version...

If you think about it, the remote is clearly marked with the windows logo.

Well this might be of interest...

My Micr0S)ft MC Remote works on the the Revo RL70 Combo straight out. No add ons or installs needed, nothing. Which is great... but odd.

The Revo RL70 Combo's remote doesnt ( yet ) seem to work on the standard revo 70, apart from the On Button.... ( so maybe this needs some attention. )

For what its worth, unless between us can get the acer revo remote to work on the standard revo 70's, you might as well just get a standard wmc remote and IRR.

I'll get back to you on the dual tuner. Im only getting the odd half hour atm to have a tinker...

IXL

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys,

I recently bought a revo rl70 from ******, i swapped the hdd for my ssd and I installed windows 7 and all drivers installed ok apart from the Ethernet controller, it got most of the way through then came up with this error "The RealTek Network Adapter/Controller was not found.
If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable" we'll nothing I could do worked, I googled the issue which is apparently quite common with windows 7 and Realtek, basically the Ethernet controller is put into a deep sleep mode and you can't wake it up, I tried ALL the suggested fixes but nothing worked so sent it back.
After a week I am finally being sent a replacement as after 'extensive testing' the unit was found to be faulty! I do want another one but am now afraid to replace the hdd for fear of the same problem. Will the ssd make a big difference? Also I have windows 8 and would prefer to put that on the machine but the acer website will only supply drivers for a windows 8 upgrade from win7 and it doesn't have all the drivers so iassume that means the drivers you install for win 7 roll over and work on win8 so does that mean I would have to install win7 and all the drivers first?
Could I install win8 first then find the drivers or install the win7 ones?
I really want this machine to work but I am so worried the same thing will happen and the nightmare of sending it back again!

Cheers guys

Associate
Hi guys,

I recently bought a revo rl70 from ******, i swapped the hdd for my ssd and I installed windows 7 and all drivers installed ok apart from the Ethernet controller, it got most of the way through then came up with this error "The RealTek Network Adapter/Controller was not found.
If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable" we'll nothing I could do worked, I googled the issue which is apparently quite common with windows 7 and Realtek, basically the Ethernet controller is put into a deep sleep mode and you can't wake it up, I tried ALL the suggested fixes but nothing worked so sent it back.
After a week I am finally being sent a replacement as after 'extensive testing' the unit was found to be faulty! I do want another one but am now afraid to replace the hdd for fear of the same problem. Will the ssd make a big difference? Also I have windows 8 and would prefer to put that on the machine but the acer website will only supply drivers for a windows 8 upgrade from win7 and it doesn't have all the drivers so iassume that means the drivers you install for win 7 roll over and work on win8 so does that mean I would have to install win7 and all the drivers first?
Could I install win8 first then find the drivers or install the win7 ones?
I really want this machine to work but I am so worried the same thing will happen and the nightmare of sending it back again!

Cheers guys

I have windows 7 and the windows 8 14.99 u/g running dual boot from the original HDD (320gb). I did not update the BIOS for before installing the u/g.
I installed all the win 7 drivers from the acer uk site that win 8 would allow me to install.(some of the existing win 8 drivers were newer).

Although I have both OS's working I only really ever boot into win 7 to install updates. This is not because I am a big fan of win 8 - Ive just gotten used to using it.

Back
Top Bottom