First PC build budget 500

Associate
Hi there I'm trying to put together a pc with a budget of about £500, I am a student with not a lot of money and I'm not looking for high specs just looking for a system that can play current games such as total war warhammer with a good frame rate. Already have a mouse and keyboard and speakers but will need a monitor. Any help will be appreciated thanks

Soldato
Welcome to the forums.

For your needs you would be better off looking at second hand.

I've compiled an example build (unsure about warhammer ability - but this, or a build like it, is all that you can get new) - you would have to shop around for some parts as some aren't in stock but it gives you an idea.

Plus if you haven't got windows you will have to buy a key for cheap as chips from somewhere else ~£30 (but can be a risk - i've not had a problem - but it's one you'll have to take):

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £504.04
(includes shipping: £13.20)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have windows already. what sort of budget do you think I'll need to save up for a pc that plays new games at a good fps?

Soldato
I have windows already. what sort of budget do you think I'll need to save up for a pc that plays new games at a good fps?

This would do the trick ~£280 more but a far superior and future proof PC.

Ideally it would be paired with an RX 580 8Gb - as that would play everything at 1080p at max - but that would add an extra ~£90 again. But the RX 570 reviews well - even the 4Gb version and would play Warhammer at a decent FPS.

Total: £784.54
(includes shipping: £19.62)

Last edited:
Soldato
while i missed the monitor required bit and not knowing if you need windows included, to have a ryzen build which be better than the G intel suggested you would be looking at something like this

Total: £500.94
(includes shipping: £11.10)

or to include monitor and go intel like the above i have chosen these, the screen is smaller, but the intel G processors for skylake on this site seem to be 2 core 2 threads and out of stock or least the 4500, so i chose the higher priced i3 thats 2 core 4 thread thats in stock, so reduced the screen size to fit in.

Total: £509.54
(includes shipping: £14.70)

Caporegime
This would do the trick ~£280 more but a far superior and future proof PC.

Ideally it would be paired with an RX 580 8Gb - as that would play everything at 1080p at max - but that would add an extra ~£90 again. But the RX 570 reviews well - even the 4Gb version and would play Warhammer at a decent FPS.

Total: £784.54
(includes shipping: £19.62)

Oh come on,

One more £, just one more - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...am4-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-559-gi.html

Soldato
while i missed the monitor required bit and not knowing if you need windows included, to have a ryzen build which be better than the G intel suggested you would be looking at something like this

Total: £500.94
(includes shipping: £11.10)​

Exo, your build can't be better than my first build suggested, within budget, if he hasn't got a monitor to use it on :D (could be confusing for a novice asking for advice, even with your disclaimer :))

EDIT:

but the intel G processors for skylake on this site seem to be 2 core 2 threads and out of stock or least the 4500, so i chose the higher priced i3 thats 2 core 4 thread thats in stock, so reduced the screen size to fit in
And the i3 isn't great value compared to the G4500/G4560 (regardless of stock) - you would probably enjoy the reviews - the G4500s are amazing value chips (G4560 particularly) making the i3s very overpriced. Better they sourced the G4560 somewhere else to get the better value CPU (OcUK - don't mind the suggestion if they don't stock it - just no links :)).​

Last edited:
Soldato
Exo, your build can't be better than my first build suggested, within budget, if he hasn't got a monitor to use it on :D (could be confusing for a novice asking for advice, even with your disclaimer :))

EDIT:

And the i3 isn't great value compared to the G4500/G4560 (regardless of stock) - you would probably enjoy the reviews - the G4500s are amazing value chips (G4560 particularly) making the i3s very overpriced. Better they sourced the G4560 somewhere else to get the better value CPU (OcUK - don't mind the suggestion if they don't stock it - just no links :)).​

the 1400 is newer and a 4c8t, you chose a 2c2t pentium so in that sense its better, other than the obvious compatible board and lack of monitor our builds are pretty much the same, i just forgot to factor in a monitor lol, 500 is a tough budget for a good all rounder, mine originally cost £475, but had windows and nothing else included.

im not denying your choice of the G4500 regardless of stock, but if the OP wants now then having stock is good, but it was more of the case of having the equivalent i3 to me that has 2c/4t which from my own experience in the games i play would benefit the OP more than a straight up dual core, used market is better for these budgets if you want a quad or more with monitors etc, we are just giving potential options for new. mean even an i5 4650k or whatever from haswell for £300 is still more computer than we can offer would would either have a 9 or 10 series nvidia or an rx 580 like ive seen on gumtree,

Last edited:
Soldato
i just forgot to factor in a monitor lol, 500 is a tough budget for a good all rounder, mine originally cost £475, but had windows and nothing else included.
Hehe - Agreed, it was tough build for the maintained use - a monitor is always an added benefit though :D ( it's easy to forget a component - i've forgotten components in the past too. Most recently VRAM heatsinks :))

im not denying your choice of the G4500 regardless of stock, but if the OP wants now then having stock is good, but it was more of the case of having the equivalent i3 to me that has 2c/4t which from my own experience in the games i will would benefit the OP more than a straight up dual core, used market is better for these budgets if you want a quad or more with monitors etc, we are just giving potential options for new. mean even an i5 4650k or whatever from haswell for £300 is still more computer than we can offer would would either have a 9 or 10 series nvidia or an rx 580 like ive seen on gumtree,

Gotcha, i see your reasoning.

But if an item isn't listed at OcUK don't be afraid to advise the buyer to look for it - obviously don't link - but if OcUK get the business for the rest of components they'll still be happy.

Soldato
Hehe - Agreed, it was tough build for the maintained use - a monitor is always an added benefit though :D ( it's easy to forget a component - i've forgotten components in the past too. Most recently VRAM heatsinks :))

Gotcha, i see your reasoning.

But if an item isn't listed at OcUK don't be afraid to advise the buyer to look for it - obviously don't link - but if OcUK get the business for the rest of components they'll still be happy.

tbh i wouldnt even think about heating VRAM that wasnt a component already with it lol, i reckon OP being a student would be better off with a laptop, doubt a new buy could be had for £500 that be decent, but certainly a lot of nice ones on the used market from the like of ROG, get one for £400 and spend the extra 100 on backup storage or a old pc for storage.

oh yeah i couldve advise elsewhere as i sometimes do with windows or other certain parts, i just went with the potential of getting it all from OC, he could probably get a quad if he looks around or could just buy the best and fastest ApU this site has to offer, i dont know if the OP is talking about dawn of war 3 or the older warhammers, i picked up the first WH40K dawn of war for £3 the other day, not installed it yet. but that thing would run on a laptop of its era, im not sure how much they have advanced since.

Back
Top Bottom