First Water Cooling Rig (H100 Vs custom EK)

Associate
I have never done any water cooling but when EK bought out their kits i just had to have a go!

My rig set up is -

i7 2600k
8gb Corsair Vengeance 8-8-8-24 ram
Asrock fatal1ty mobo
Corsair AX750 psu
Corsair H100 cpu cooler
Corsair 800D 6GB/s case
ATI Sapphire 5870
Corsair force 4 SSD 120GB

img2311o.jpg

96330422.jpg

img2314n.jpg

I will appologise now as i am no photographer but i have tried :/
The above rig did well with the H100 with temps on a 4.7ghz oc @ 1.34v hitting

primec.jpg

under load and

idle.jpg

idle. (yes this was not a scientific test and i was bored one day!)

Ok lets get down to what i bought, i had an EK H3O Watercooling Kit - Supreme HF 360 **2011 Compatible** kit on back order for over a month and due to impatience i ended up sourcing else where :( so due to a lot of time spent waiting i had the chance to plan cooling my gpu as well.
The reason for doing this is i will be buying the new 7000 series from amd when they are out so i want to be ready. My shopping list

EK H3O Watercooling Kit - Supreme HF 360 **2011 Compatible**
Ek 5870v2 GPU block
Ek 5870v2 back plate
Phobya G-Changer V1.2 140mm rad
3x viper 140mm fans (to replace the stock corsair ones)
4m of red non uv 1/2OD 3/8ID tube
blood red dye
mx4 paste

AND LASTLY!!!

Hardware Labs Black ICE GT Stealth 360 Radiator (i will explain at the end!)

img2348s.jpg

img2349kz.jpg

img2323fa.jpg

As it goes the EK is very good value and the products are great quality, my only real gripe is the instructions can be a litte hard to follow as they try and explain components in other kits as well but that is a minor gripe.

So here is a few befores

img2314n.jpg

img2311o.jpg

img2356nl.jpg

img2355sf.jpg

img2362r.jpg

img2364h.jpg

So that was the removal of the H100 done (easy and for sale in the MM) and the instalation of the block done. I have to say the block was so easy to install and looks the nuts!! So on to the rad for the GPU.

img2372l.jpg

img2373vx.jpg

img2375iq.jpg

Now those with sharp eyes will notice i installed the 360rad in the last pic. In the EK kit it says they will not RMA a rad that has had the wrong screws fitted! NOW in the ek kit i only found one set of 12 screws for the rad which i assuemed were the correct ones as it came in the kit!! So i wanted to take out the rad and instal the bottom set of fans before i secured the top ones so i removed the rad but thought i know i will have a look to see if i may have over tightened them and to my horror ONE had gone through a fin! I franticly did a water test and lets just say a bucket with holes in holds more water :(
Now upon looking through the kit i found a second set of smaller screws!!! only by a few mill but it would have beenenough, it would be nice if the instructions said "WARNING TWO DIFFERENT LENGTH OF SCREWS IN BOX!"
Any way that is why there is a second rad bought, i was low on funds so cound only afford the cheepest ocuk had to offer but it is an amazing rad with very high densaty of fins!

img2326he.jpg

img2327g.jpg

img2379hx.jpg

img2380ma.jpg

img2381v.jpg

img2383ijq.jpg

I was very pleased with how the GPU block looked once it was built and with the back plate it just looks amazing and the drop in temps are better than i had hoped for.

On air and oc'd to 1ghz/1300mhz i was hitting temps of 70-80c at load and 48c idle

5loadh100s1.jpg

just look at the bottom figure, but now its taken nearly 20c off on idle!

5ghzwc.jpg

I found the 800D to be a great case IF you buy the right components! The supplied pump is a little to big to go in the belly of the case as intended buy the two tubing holes on the deck, that is why i have put my pump where it is, i will move it when i get my 7000 series.

img2385o.jpg

img2407od.jpg

img2408hd.jpg

img2409p.jpg

As you can see i have got 6 vipers on the 360 and two on the 140, all on a fan controller, the pump is noisy but let me say its tolerable, i have just bought a pump controller as well.

As for temps i am very very happy with them

idle
5ghzidlewc.jpg

load
5ghzwc.jpg

Well i hope you have enjoyed my little rant ;) let me know what you think about my cherry popping session!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks nic m8 think you need to get rid of the lime green fans though, doesn't got well with the red.

I was thinking the same! I have just started Googling how to remove the blades so I can spray them red.

Those viper fan are the nuts, I will never use any other fan again, they really are quiet and move an incredible amount of air!

Soldato
Why not have the single rad on the inside? Kind of defeats the purpose of having such a huge case if you have to install the rad outside.

Soldato
Mod the case and have a 240 rad in the bottom like others have done. Looks nice though great job m8.

Associate
OP
Why not have the single rad on the inside? Kind of defeats the purpose of having such a huge case if you have to install the rad outside.

I did try but it's way to wide with a fan on the inside and out!

Mod the case and have a 240 rad in the bottom like others have done. Looks nice though great job m8.

That's a great idea! I will look it up, I was looking at modding te roof to take a quad, iv found a special made cover for the top so fan an be mounted on top ;)

Nice build, which pump controller did you get?

It's a koolance controller I should be getting it tomorrow :)

Soldato
I was thinking the same! I have just started Googling how to remove the blades so I can spray them red.

Those viper fan are the nuts, I will never use any other fan again, they really are quiet and move an incredible amount of air!

Build looks good :) Shame you had the problem with the rad but good to see it didn't put you off. I love viper fans too, though not use the 140mm fans but I guess they are just as good. As far as I can see and work out you can't take the blades off the vipers. I tried to do it and googled how to and couldn't find any info on how to do it - if you do find out how to please please let me know as I have 5 more I need to paint. If you can't find anything then it will be the masking tape route which is a right PITA.

pic of one mine taped up and primed: http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/Greboth/PC Mods/DSC_0787.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Could you not put the single rad in the bottom chamber of the case?

i could have done but that would mean a lot more tubing than i already have as i wanted to have a rad before a block to keep them at their coldest

Build looks good :) Shame you had the problem with the rad but good to see it didn't put you off. I love viper fans too, though not use the 140mm fans but I guess they are just as good. As far as I can see and work out you can't take the blades off the vipers. I tried to do it and googled how to and couldn't find any info on how to do it - if you do find out how to please please let me know as I have 5 more I need to paint. If you can't find anything then it will be the masking tape route which is a right PITA.

pic of one mine taped up and primed: http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/Greboth/PC Mods/DSC_0787.jpg

ok buddy thanks for the info, and great pic ;)
yer rad-gate caused me a lot of greaf but i just thought C'est la vie, when i have saved up enough i will be putting a quad in the top any way :p

Soldato
i could have done but that would mean a lot more tubing than i already have as i wanted to have a rad before a block to keep them at their coldest

Perhaps I'm not looking at it properly, but it looks as if the amount of tubing you have used to reach the rad outside would easily be enough to reach it in the bottom chamber :confused:

Associate
OP
I think it could look cleaner if you had the loop like this:

res>pump>gpu>120 rad>360 rad>cpu>res

also, having the pump under the mid-plate

its such i tight fit under there :/ i do understand what you mean thou. i will have another play around soon but for now im happy.

i was also looking at changing the colour of the tubing to a uv green to go with the fans as spraying the vipers looks like a lot of hard work ;)

once i have figured out the route of the tubing with the pump moved and additional fittings i will crack on with it :)

Soldato
i was also looking at changing the colour of the tubing to a uv green to go with the fans as spraying the vipers looks like a lot of hard work ;)

It is indeed but they look so good painted. Shame I already sold the ones I painted red otherwise you could have had them.

Blue ones
DSC_0788.jpg

Or more interesting for you, red ones :p
DSC_0816.jpg

Back
Top Bottom