Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Associate
You'd be surprised actually, if you have the money for a ticket ready to go - ringing/emailing around sometime around January when they tend to do renewals (and nobody has any money) the amount of people on waiting lists, almost all of them don't take a ticket when their name comes up. I know a guy who runs a decent syndicate (hasse fen) who has a full waiting list - but it drives him mad with the amount of people who won't pay when the time comes.

http://lilyfisheries.co.uk/venues/hasse-fen/ - last time I spoke to him, he had a few tickets going spare, he's probably sold them now - but might be worth speaking to him next year.

I just paid my ticket for the Horton complex down near Wraysbury, I'm going to be fishing the Island lake - got my boat (Bic 245) ready, can't wait, proper serious water though - there's a legit 61lb English mirror in there, over 20x 40lb fish too. Cannot wait :D

Also lol @ how busy day tickets are now, I remember when they opened fishing back in 2021 in May. Our local lake had vans queuing at the gate for like 100yds the next day - the lake was already full. People driving around at 50mph trying to find a peg - it was like watching NASCAR.

Thanks for that link, might enquire - a couple of the waters they run are a reasonable drive for me.

I was looking at Horton and the other RK leisure lakes this week funnily enough, they all look incredible. I'd be way out of my depth there. 90% of my carp fishing has been on smallish estate lakes 3-12 acres or so - Farlows in Iver feels like a huge lake for me when I fish it ha :D.

A lot of carp places are now peg bookable online. You can't change your peg and you have to pay online as well. It's the way it is because that many people do carp fishing now.

Only way to combat this is either kick non fishing people off or don't have a closed book. First come first fish on a peg. But then the fish get over worked and eventually slow down their feeding habits.

I've fished places where you have to book a specific peg in advance, but usually when I'm more interested in a bit of a relaxation break with some bonus fishing. For more 'serious' fishing I don't want to turn up at a pre-booked peg because if the fish aren't there then the time is wasted.

Another problem with these crazy busy day ticket lakes is as you say - The constant pressure just makes what should be an easy lake pretty tricky to fish.

Soldato
Out on mate’s boat again today out of Brighton.

fishing slow - whiting and doggies. Even the charter skippers back in the marina has precisely the same.

temps cold and warm in the sun.

Permabanned
Nice, the warmer weather is bringing them on nicely, the koi in my pond are getting quite lively which is always a sure sign

Not any more, been out twice to the same place as above and blanked. Fish have slowed down due to the cold. We had it bad up North was -7 at one point couple days ago. It's stopped the fish feeding again.

Hopefully will warm up properly soon.

Soldato
Yesterday:
TLlCdQi.jpg

This looks lovely and warm.. three layers under this + coat.. warm enough in sun needed a jumper when the sun went in! Beard for warmth too!
8zeS5Ex.jpg

The mate's boat is a little Warrior 17, two seats and space for each to have two rods without being too problematic. Used about 30 litres of petrol :eek:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It was whiting and dogfish. Seemed that even the commercial skippers had the same. Some bass further out on the banks earlier in the morning but mid morning to mid afternoon it most decided to head back to port.

It's making me shiver with cold just thinking about being out on a boat atm lol, shame you didn't catch anything of note,

Out of interest i checked the grey vikings website, he's up to £785 a day for full boat hire now for wreck fishing, suppose it's not much of a surprise with the fuel prices at present

Soldato
It's making me shiver with cold just thinking about being out on a boat atm lol, shame you didn't catch anything of note,

Out of interest i checked the grey vikings website, he's up to £785 a day for full boat hire now for wreck fishing, suppose it's not much of a surprise with the fuel prices at present

True. Ray's boat is probably good with 8 people on so the prices are probably about 10-20 more expensive. Naturally going wrecking is more expensive so I'd expect it to be ~120 each.

Back
Top Bottom