Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Associate
Great news, there's a 5Guys right near kings crossed - if you walk past that there's an honest burger just down the road :)

The Chimichurri - amazingly tasty: Beef, manchego cheese, chorizo, chimichurri and chipotle mayo.
:D.
That is a cracking burger. We had Honest burgers last Friday evening, then brunch at Honest the following morning :).

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Finally tried Byron burger on Thursday whilst I was in Liverpool. It was nice, but to me my order of preference is probably GBK > Five Guys > Byron > Handmade Burger Kitchen. Still yet to try some of the more London-based establishments and Atomic Burger in Oxford is on my to-do list.

Man of Honour
Finally tried Byron burger on Thursday whilst I was in Liverpool. It was nice, but to me my order of preference is probably GBK > Five Guys > Byron > Handmade Burger Kitchen. Still yet to try some of the more London-based establishments and Atomic Burger in Oxford is on my to-do list.
I can highly recommend Atomic burger, their bacon shake is good!

Soldato
Trying 7 Bone in Reading this weekend, will report back.
I was there last night and thanks to the lower ceilings and closer-packed tables, the atmosphere is a lot better than it is at Camberley. And dare I say it, the food was slightly better as well - for a restaurant in its first month, they are doing very, very well. Faultless service and the kitchen is ticking over nicely.

That makes it three times in four weeks for me and 7Bone and it just keeps getting better and better. But while the burgers are undeniably good, the selection is very limited - they do what they do very well, but they need more variety as well as something 'out there' that will keep you coming back for more. And some of their sides are a little lacklustre - the fries are nothing special and need to really be an event on their own. Give me some truffled fries and the option for sweet potato, please!

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I went Byron again after a few years. I was as unimpressed as I was the first few times I went. It's nice enough burger but it lacks anything special. There's no interesting sauces or garnish. The chips are very standard. The service was a joke, the waitress was trying her best but there was one waitress for 9 tables of people! Other burger places have really moved the game forward in terms of making it quite 'special'. That's not to say go over the top, Honest Burger is a good example of keeping things simple but at the same time very flavourful and interesting.

Man of Honour
I went Byron again after a few years. I was as unimpressed as I was the first few times I went. It's nice enough burger but it lacks anything special. There's no interesting sauces or garnish. The chips are very standard. The service was a joke, the waitress was trying her best but there was one waitress for 9 tables of people! Other burger places have really moved the game forward in terms of making it quite 'special'. That's not to say go over the top, Honest Burger is a good example of keeping things simple but at the same time very flavourful and interesting.

I felt the same the one and only time I've been to Byron the burger was good but that was it it was just good, which isn't always a bad thing but there was nothing really special about it for the price. I found the sides very nice though.

Soldato
Went to P&B last night. Honestly don't think I'll bother again. We'd been to the cinema so came in at 9.15pm or so absolutely starving. Took ages to get anything, drinks, food order, the bill etc. The guy working at the Soho branch was just such a tool; walking around in a hoodie (sometimes with it up) paying more attention to his 'choons' or chatting up girls at the bar. I did have the hunger-rage to be fair, but he absolutely did my nut. The music was so loud too, not fun. I remember it being that loud but not that bad. At 10pm when we were trying to leave he was clearly just messing around on Spotify rather than getting our bill - kept stopping tracks and starting another like he was in his bedroom. Eventually put some ott rap on and proceeded to swagger round the restaurant totally ignoring us. ****!

Meh. The burger was nice but only the patty was warm. Chips were tepid and too salty. Just not impressed. Rant over! :mad:

Associate
Rant over! :mad:
That doesn't surprise me, P&B make some awesome burgers but I've been there a couple of times and got the impression that they think they can't do anything wrong. I've had very under-cooked burger, and sloppy service including them acting as if we are lucky that they're serving us. They've still given me my favourite burger, but for consistency in food, service and environment, Honest burger beat them comfortably (IMO).

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Went to P&B last night. Honestly don't think I'll bother again. We'd been to the cinema so came in at 9.15pm or so absolutely starving. Took ages to get anything, drinks, food order, the bill etc. The guy working at the Soho branch was just such a tool; walking around in a hoodie (sometimes with it up) paying more attention to his 'choons' or chatting up girls at the bar. I did have the hunger-rage to be fair, but he absolutely did my nut. The music was so loud too, not fun. I remember it being that loud but not that bad. At 10pm when we were trying to leave he was clearly just messing around on Spotify rather than getting our bill - kept stopping tracks and starting another like he was in his bedroom. Eventually put some ott rap on and proceeded to swagger round the restaurant totally ignoring us. ****!

Meh. The burger was nice but only the patty was warm. Chips were tepid and too salty. Just not impressed. Rant over! :mad:

I didn't have any issues with service when I went but the loud music was a deal breaker and completely out of place. It was 5pm, I shouldn't need to shout over to the person opposite me to have a conversation while eating a burger. It really makes no sense at all. I did however enjoy the burger and the chips were spot on. I'd get a takeaway but won't be sitting in again unless they change their policy on loud music. I assume it's a policy they have through all their restaurants as I went to the Liverpool St one.

Soldato
So I'm back from London. I tried Honest Burger and Burger and Beyond (stall in Camden market). They were both very good, but not a patch on the burgers I've had in Liverpool. Free State Kitchen and Nolita Cantina (both small independant places in Liverpool) are still the best burgers I've had. I'd say B&B had better tasting beef with its 45 day dry aged patty, but the overall burger in Honest was tastier. I enjoyed it though - first time at Camden market too and it was absolutely mad this afternoon. So many people.

Caporegime

I'd write that exact post in an email to head office.

Back
Top Bottom