Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Not what you want in any burger - just look at the size of them in their promo shot! Blergh.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/product_nutrition.vegetarianmain.1613.spicy-vegetable-deluxe.html

*Shudder*

Anyway, to correct the wrong that was the McDonalds burger I had a lovely burger at a pub, all was very nice but I'm beginning to think the whole triple cooked chips thing is a sham. Do they actually fry, allow to cool, fry, allow to cool and fry again? As if they do, that's a lot of effort for what results in fairly normal fried chips, perhaps slightly more crunchy. My expectations are always super crunchy shell with fluffy inside, that's never how it actually is.

Soldato
Head to Hawksmoor or a Heston Blumenthal restaurant for divine triple cooked chips. The triple cooked chips you get most places are quite disappointing but when they're done well they're excellent.

Soldato
Good chips are good chips, period. Whether they are single, double or triple-fried, it is all in the execution - something that the overwhelming majority of kitchens simply cannot do.

A good triple-fried chip is exactly what you expect it to be - crunchy, crispy shell with a fluffy interior. It should crack in half like a Chipstick does!

Man of Honour
cucumber has every place in such fast food places, McDonalds burgers are so god damn dry, cucumber would vastly improve their normal range. Even their gherkins doesnt bring enough water and freshness to the table.

Soldato
cucumber has every place in such fast food places, McDonalds burgers are so god damn dry, cucumber would vastly improve their normal range. Even their gherkins doesnt bring enough water and freshness to the table.
I wouldn't want both though. Gherkins > cucumber. I've decided that tomato has a no place in a burger. Slips around too much and makes the whole thing messy. Plus most "good" burgers have some sort of relish which is far more preferable. And of course you don't need both, the flavour would clash.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I wouldn't want both though. Gherkins > cucumber. I've decided that tomato has a no place in a burger. Slips around too much and makes the whole thing messy. Plus most "good" burgers have some sort of relish which is far more preferable. And of course you don't need both, the flavour would clash.

+1 much like cucumber, tomatoes make the who bun/burger too wet/sloppy and not in a good way. If the restaurant is having to rely on tomato or cucumber to ensure the whole composition isn't dry then it's probably a terrible burger anyway. Gherkins are fine as they don't produce any watery residue.

Just had a lovely falafel burger which contained a spicy salsa and some rocket with a tub of mustard on the side. Lovely.

Soldato
Cucumber has only one place in a burger - pickled and fermented.

If your burger is too dry, you're either eating at the wrong place or you need to up your condiment game.

Man of Honour
If your burger is too dry, you're either eating at the wrong place or you need to up your condiment game.
or as i said wrong place, namely mcdonalds, like the person i quoted.
where gherkins and their sauce is not enough to overcome the dryness. It makes more sense if you don't skip over half the sentence.

Permabanned
Went to Beefy Boys in Hereford on Saturday eve. Ordered the Bacon Boy with a side of bacon fries and deep fried mac and cheese balls. One of the best meals I've had in years. The burger was so rich with flavour (I determinedly separated a piece from all the sauces, cheese etc.) and all it's component part where just as good. Wasn't too big either which can often be annoying. Only problem is that it's an hours drive from home :/

Back
Top Bottom