Flat Cats

Soldato
I guess if she was an outdoor cat previously then sure.

Both of mine are happy and healthy indoors otherwise we wouldn't have them.

Associate
OP
Well I didn't imagine so much about the rights of cats to be in or out, but thanks for those that have contributed and to those that kept to the topic even better. I think I'm gonna measure up and try the flat cats when I'm next paid :)

As for in or out, Mine is in, he has never been out and really doesn't mind. He gets way more attention from myself and others being in than he would if he was out roaming, he has playtime with me and is perfectly happy. Again if I thought he was in any distress for not being able to go out i'd either move or have to think about giving him away to somewhere that he could be outside. The idea of a second cat is a good one and something I have thought about but right now the extra expense isn't really possible unfortunately so he has to put up with me.

Soldato
Well I didn't imagine so much about the rights of cats to be in or out, but thanks for those that have contributed and to those that kept to the topic even better. I think I'm gonna measure up and try the flat cats when I'm next paid :)

As for in or out, Mine is in, he has never been out and really doesn't mind. He gets way more attention from myself and others being in than he would if he was out roaming, he has playtime with me and is perfectly happy. Again if I thought he was in any distress for not being able to go out i'd either move or have to think about giving him away to somewhere that he could be outside. The idea of a second cat is a good one and something I have thought about but right now the extra expense isn't really possible unfortunately so he has to put up with me.
I got a 2nd cat for company for my 1st... they really couldn't care less about each other. Some cats like company from other felines, some just want to be left alone! So I wouldn't worry too much. GD is super opinionated which you have had a crash course in now :)

Soldato
I got a 2nd cat for company for my 1st... they really couldn't care less about each other. Some cats like company from other felines, some just want to be left alone! So I wouldn't worry too much. GD is super opinionated which you have had a crash course in now :)

When we got a second cat, though admittedly not to keep the first cat company, the first cat hated the second one. The second was substantially younger, and wanted to play etc but the first cat would just swipe at it. In the end, they ignored each other.

Man of Honour
I've always wondered about keeping cats in a flat. I'm half heartedly on the lookout for a new cat (haven't owned one for almost 20 years now) but no shelter would let me adopt unless it has access to a garden/the outside. They'd only let me adopt a FIV+ or old cat if it doesn't have access to a garden.

Soldato
I've always wondered about keeping cats in a flat. I'm half heartedly on the lookout for a new cat (haven't owned one for almost 20 years now) but no shelter would let me adopt unless it has access to a garden/the outside. They'd only let me adopt a FIV+ or old cat if it doesn't have access to a garden.

it's ok if that's how the cat's been raised, we recently adopted a pair of cats who came from a testing laboratory, and even our house is a massive increase in roaming space for them, often catch them charging up and down the stairs just enjoying the space

Soldato
Our cat is coming up to 2 years old. We kept him indoors for the first 4 months as we lived in a (basement) flat in London and were worried about him running out onto the road or whatnot. He was happy as a clam the whole time he was indoors. When we finally did let him out, he absolutely loved it and you could argue he was happier with his freedom. But happiness is a relative concept, and if it's all they've known, then I think as long as there are no signs of distress then it is not a problem.

Yes there is some animal instinct to roam, but in the vast majority of cases, being a good and attentive owner is the most important thing for your cats happiness and wellbeing.

fez

fez

Caporegime
My cat is a massive chicken **** and won't go outside. The one time she did she was so scared she hid in a bush for hours and we couldn't find her. We would call to her and she would meow but as soon as you went near the place the meow came from she fell silent because she was worried it was someone bad.

She seems quite happy indoors and splits her time between sunbathing and having brief breaks from sunbathing. Occasionally she will stick a paw into the sun and keep the rest of her in the shade if she can be bothered. Lives the life of riley

Caporegime
Our cat is coming up to 2 years old. We kept him indoors for the first 4 months as we lived in a (basement) flat in London and were worried about him running out onto the road or whatnot. He was happy as a clam the whole time he was indoors. When we finally did let him out, he absolutely loved it and you could argue he was happier with his freedom. But happiness is a relative concept, and if it's all they've known, then I think as long as there are no signs of distress then it is not a problem.

Yes there is some animal instinct to roam, but in the vast majority of cases, being a good and attentive owner is the most important thing for your cats happiness and wellbeing.

We have 3 in our large flat, which has secured communal hallways.

We sometimes wedge the front door open for airflow when it's hot, and only one of them ever has a brief pop outside to look around, the other two don't care for it at all, they prefer staying inside on their oversized cat tree, or the top of the sofa, or (weirdly) my missus's laptop bag.

Permabanned
I don't have a problem with house cats, it's not cruel, they seem happy enough being masters of their small domain.

At least you know where the hairy bugger is all the time and you don't get bits of dead mice on the kitchen floor, squishing through your toes of a morning.

Associate
OK read just the OP post:-
I have house cats, the "flat cats" thing is something I came up with myself, a generic net curtain with velcro sown into the net part and super glue on the frames.
The cats are fine with it, although a kitten might be different, but won't stay a kitten for long!
If you can build some cat shelves so the cat can leap up and explore, this is what I have done. If you watch 'cat's from hell', it is something recommended!

Back
Top Bottom