FM2 ITX Motherboards!

Associate
I've gone for the ASRock Pro4 FM2 board, as it's the only one that has a CIR header plus HDMI and fits in my case.....snip

Cant seem to find any CIR header info on the MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 - Do you know if it has one?

From looking at it - don't think it does :(

Edit: Back to square one - FM2A75M-ITX (HDMI and CIR but no WIFI)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cant seem to find any CIR header info on the MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 - Do you know if it has one?

From looking at it - don't think it does :(

Edit: Back to square one - FM2A75M-ITX (HDMI and CIR but no WIFI)

Yup. Choice is pretty poor!! My motherboard, CPU, RAM, CIR header all here.. Just waiting on case and PSU

My blu-ray drive will have to be sent back, no eject button

Soldato
The selection of ITX boards is so pitiful. I want a board with built in wifi and bluetooth (not unreasonable demands from an ITX board especially one designed to run a processor that is pretty much perfect for HTPC/Small PC applications).

Anyway I have my A10-5700, Noctua NH-L9a and M350 case. Looks like I will be using the MSI.

Associate
OP
The selection of ITX boards is so pitiful. I want a board with built in wifi and bluetooth

I would like them, but I don't really need them as I will be using gigabit ethernet, which is much better than wireless for consistent 1080p streaming from my linux nas.

I have Xbox 360 Wireless adapter I might use for connecting a 360 game pad for emulators.

But like I said before, I would have preferred it as I could re-use it later down the line (the board, cpu etc.)

Associate
My Gskill Ares 2133 cas 9 kit finally arrived this afternoon for my Asrock FM2A75M-ITX build.
Happy to report it's running at 2133 with the XMP profile timings of 9-11-10-28 2t, after failing miserably at clocking my good Samsung Green kits at anything over 1600mhz

This little board flies with this ram and an A10-5800K @ 4.3ghz, IGP currently @ 1085.

I can finish the build now I know the only thing holding it back was that it just doesn't like manual ram tuning.

Get some Enzotech mosfet sinks if you plan on clocking this board.
With no active cooling on the mosfets out of the box, they do get hot, very hot!

Last edited:
Don
Just setting up my Asrock ITX board now. Couple of oddities, using the HDMI link on my tele the screen is off centre considerably, until the GPU drivers are installed. Testing it on another monitor doesn't have this affect.

Also I was getting a lot of noise, like coil whine when accessing the SSDs, but that has mysteriously disappeared overnight. This is the second Windows install I've done on it and this is the second time it's done that.

I've ended up with the Samuel 17 cooler on mine as it fits a 120mm fan without clashing with the PCI-E slot. It also fits precisely into my Silverstone PT-09B.

Associate
OP
Would the MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 fit in the Streacom FC8?

I received my FC5 today, but I am sending it back. The company (not overclockers as they were out of stock) sent me the wrong colour. After seeing it in the flesh, it's huge.

So I was thinking of getting the FC8 instead.

Associate
OP
I have my MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 and Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2133.

I am using it with a A10 5700 (locked). When I enable Intel XMP (2133) it boots up 'overclocking failed'.

When I set it manually to 1866 (the highest setting) - overclocking failed.

I can set it manually to 1600 and it boots.

Question is - will this ever work at 2133 or is it locked to max 1866? Not sure about FM2. Should I just buy 1866 RAM and return it? Or will it run at 2133 if it has a XMP profile? (if I can get working sticks!)

I also noticed the Samsung Green RAM.. 1600 but can be run at 2133 (I'm guessing I'm limited to 1866 by the BIOS) - would that be a good option? The Geil is also back in stock, and that should have a XMP profile for 2133? Anybody know?

Associate
I have my MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 and Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2133.

I am using it with a A10 5700 (locked). When I enable Intel XMP (2133) it boots up 'overclocking failed'.

When I set it manually to 1866 (the highest setting) - overclocking failed.

I can set it manually to 1600 and it boots.

Question is - will this ever work at 2133 or is it locked to max 1866? Not sure about FM2. Should I just buy 1866 RAM and return it? Or will it run at 2133 if it has a XMP profile? (if I can get working sticks!)

I also noticed the Samsung Green RAM.. 1600 but can be run at 2133 (I'm guessing I'm limited to 1866 by the BIOS) - would that be a good option? The Geil is also back in stock, and that should have a XMP profile for 2133? Anybody know?

No reviews of the MSI out yet, give them a chance to knock out a few bios updates.
Look on MSI's forums or contact their tech support with ram compatibility issues asking for beta bios's to try.

It was the same for me with the Asrock board, it hated my Samsung Green, they wouldn't go over 1600 no matter what in the Asrock with any bios they have.

Just give them some time to iron out some kinks with a few bios updates.

It's not worth spending more money on ram until you see if any bios updates fix the issue.

Associate
OP
Well I took the DIMMs out. Had a look at the sockets, there was a spec of mx-4, cleaned it off with a pin. Now it boots at 1866 :)

I also tried the Geil DDR3 2133, booted at 1866. But not at 2133.

MSI have sent me a beta BIOS to try.

Associate
OP
MSI are saying it's not possible to add manual voltage control? Are they talking out of their arse? Because I want to undervolt

Associate
MSI are saying it's not possible to add manual voltage control? Are they talking out of their arse? Because I want to undervolt

It could well be the case.
Does using the bios's overclock Genie increase the voltage to any overclocks it applies?

P.S. that gallon of MX-4 all over the heatpipes in your XMBC build log won't do your kit any favours.
You're lucky you haven't fried anything up to now if you've dripped it all over the place.

Last edited:
Associate
Would the MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 fit in the Streacom FC8?

I received my FC5 today, but I am sending it back. The company (not overclockers as they were out of stock) sent me the wrong colour. After seeing it in the flesh, it's huge.

So I was thinking of getting the FC8 instead.

Hi mate,

thinking of same build and just wondering if there were any problems fitting that MSI board into FC8 evo and are you happy with speed/temperatures?

Regards

Associate
OP
Also did you manage to make 2133mhz memory work?

Nope. I'm having issues running it at 1866 (it was working, now it isn't). The RAM runs quite hot.

I've noticed the Samsung Green 30nm - any idea what my RAM is CML8GX3M2A1600C9B? Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3? What process? I'm thinking the Samsung might run cooler.

Associate
OP
It could well be the case.
Does using the bios's overclock Genie increase the voltage to any overclocks it applies?

P.S. that gallon of MX-4 all over the heatpipes in your XMBC build log won't do your kit any favours.
You're lucky you haven't fried anything up to now if you've dripped it all over the place.

I haven't dropped any - but when attaching the heatpipes I got some on my hands. Tried to clean it off!!

I shouldn't have followed the manual.. it's easier to attach the blocks to the side of the case and leave the screw loose and then slide the heatpipes in. Otherwise you need 3 hands!!

The voltage seems to fluctuate - e.g. sometimes 1.2xx and sometimes 1.3xx. I've noticed it go lower if I set it to 2.8ghz instead of 3.4ghz.

Associate
OP
Hi mate,

thinking of same build and just wondering if there were any problems fitting that MSI board into FC8 evo and are you happy with speed/temperatures?

Regards

With the MSI you will have an issue with the PICO power supply and the bottom right heatpipe. As their are only 2 ITX boards available, the ASRock is not suitable.

I got around the issue by using a ATX extender. So the MSI now fits.

I have an A10 5700 in the case and I think that was a mistake. Should have used a A6 5400K. But, looking at it the motherboard chipset actually runs hotter than the CPU!

I am having some serious issues with load temps. At idle and playing films it's fine.

I can get perfect 23.976 Hz output (confirmed). Not something you can get from Intel.

Associate
OP
Is there some thermal paste that is sticky? I was thinking of buying a heatpipe and sticking it to the chipset heatsink on the motherboard and attaching it to the site of the Streacom FC8 case. I don't know if that is even possible.. If not could I replace the heatsink with another? Do they use push pins (confused) I would not want to remove the motherboard again

Associate
With the MSI you will have an issue with the PICO power supply and the bottom right heatpipe. As their are only 2 ITX boards available, the ASRock is not suitable.

I got around the issue by using a ATX extender. So the MSI now fits.

I have an A10 5700 in the case and I think that was a mistake. Should have used a A6 5400K. But, looking at it the motherboard chipset actually runs hotter than the CPU!

I am having some serious issues with load temps. At idle and playing films it's fine.

I can get perfect 23.976 Hz output (confirmed). Not something you can get from Intel.

Yeah, I supposed its gonna be tricky with new mobos. Judging from pictures just announced zotacs itx fm2 gonna fit nicely but probably will be over £100.

I gave up on this build probably till next amd apu generation and going for intel in sg05 case.

Thanks for taking time to share your experience

Associate
OP
Also did you manage to make 2133mhz memory work?

I have some Samsung Green (2x4GB) in there now in attempt to reduce overall heat in the case. Does anyone know where to get some heat spreaders that fit this tiny memory?

It will boot at 1866 and 2133. However CPU-Z says DRAM frequency is 798.5Mhz, NB Frequency 1397.4Mhz

In SPD, I have Max Bandwidth - PC3-12800 (800 MHz). The BIOS has voltage settings for RAM, but it doesn't tell you what it is currently on (on AUTO).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom