1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****Folding@home setup guide****

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by dekez, Nov 5, 2010.

1. kerrgreg

Wise Guy

sure onboard GPU from your 3770k? Im not sure is the honest answer i just pause folding when i need to use the PC

2. ozaudio

Mobster

im on windows 7 ultimate and myn NEVER freezes

in internet options i ticked the box

use softerware rendering instead of gpu rendering, never had a freeze since, before hand it was VERY laggy

3. Dimebag

Associate

just joined

Hi
    I just joined up to the team.

AMD FX-8530 piledriver + Nvidia Quadro K4000

Currently generating 30/31k points per day.

Paul

4. ozaudio

Mobster

hi there , from the net it seems that the k4000 is about the same as a gtx 660 , one you have completed 10 work units on the cpu you will start getting bonus points so your points per day will rise more.

also did you get your self a passkey? :)

welcome to team 10 ! :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  5. Stalker_26

Gangster

Morning all,

I have joined the folding team.
    I kind of understand what it is, and the need for it, dont really understand how it works, but more research is incoming!!
    I have my machine on for a few hours each day but not used so will crank it up to full each day for couple of hours, see if i cant help get some points :)
    i'm kind of hoping my rig will crank out some good points, if not, well at least i have clear justification to upgrade!!!

6. ozaudio

Mobster

with what you have you will deffantly get a good overall PPD depending on how much you fold :)

7. Stalker_26

Gangster

Lets hope so :D

8. Stalker_26

Gangster

Quick question though, i registered with team 10 and asked on the folding page for a passkey, entered that and then it started, do i need to do anythign else to register with OCUK team?

9. Biffa

Man of Honour

Nope :) Youre in. It may take a day or so of submitting results before you show up on the stats

10. Stalker_26

Gangster

Well, 2.5 hrs in and 1 CPU project is done with the GPU on 50%.
    Really spanks up the temps in my case lol.

CPU gone from 30, 31, 33, 30 up to 55, 58, 56, 56.
    GPU not even breaking 60 :D
    So far running a PPD of 17987.

Lord only knows if that's good or not

11. ozaudio

Mobster

after you complete 10 work units on the cpu your points will go up a huge amount as you get huge bonus points.

you will get more than 17'000 ppd in a few days :D but even so, what ever you add is welcomed by every one :)

12. RHS

Gangster

Just joined the folder gig, I used to crunch SETI results back in the day, signed up to team 10 to help out.

Running a Quadro 2000 along with an Intel Xeon @ 3.2ghz.
    Currently returning 16,000 units per day.

13. Biffa

Man of Honour

Welcome to the team RHS

14. alex_123_fra

Wise Guy

Hi guys, just joined and am now folding on the CPU.

I tried folding on my GPU (GTX 780) but although I am assigned a project, it doesn't utilise my GPU at all and is stuck at 0% after several hours. I used the GPU auto-detect feature. Any thoughts?

15. ozaudio

Mobster

Hay man, check them emails ;)

download latest folding client, everything is in the email , including were to get a passkey.

you and your 3930k :o and 780 will be very very very welcomed to this team :D:D

16. ozaudio

Mobster

It's about time this was updated.

At this minute and time the best solution for folding I think is to download the latest folding client, it has quite a lot of options and caters for new and old gpus by allowing you to add the tags for the newer cards to fold the better units , and netting you much higer PPD.

folding program http://folding.stanford.edu/
    passkey http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

the first thing to do when you've installed the program should be to click the folding icon in the corner and advanced control , the client will open and youll see a bar that says folding power , slide this across to full otherwise gpus wont work !

you will need your set your user name, team number and passkey which is done by clicking the folding icon > advanced control > configure. This takes you directly to the identity page

as you can see the team number is 10 , if you don't put 10 you wont be part of this team
    [​IMG]

now once you've done this you will need to set up the tags on your gpu client providing you have a 600 or 700 series gpu , the AMD range of cards im unsure as to what model you should add the tags to be anything like the 7850 / 7870 or 7950 / 7970 would be best.

ok onto setting up the tags.

if you click the folding client and then click advanced control it will bring up a nice looking client.

you need to click the CONFIGURE logo at the top , you will now be met with 7 pages as you will see , you need to click the slots, in thereyou will
    see cpu and a gpu , double click the GPU , now another box will have opened, if you enlarge this box you will see at the bottom there is 2 buttons
    add and remove, you need click the add button , yet again another box, dont worry this is the last box !!!. In this box you need to type 2 things as such

name: client-type
    value: advanced

now these have been typed, click ok, now on all of the boxes click either save or ok will youve closed all the boxes down

--------------------------------

couple of pics to show what I mean.

when you have clicked configure and selected the " slots " page it will look like this.

[​IMG]

once you have double clicked the GPU icon and clicked the " add " button , you will see from the below picture exactly what I mean by typing in the values into the boxes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  17. rickyjb

Gangster

been folding for a few weekends now and just realised ocuk had a team, so im signing up.

what im using

main gaming rig (80k ppd)
    i7 980 4.1ghz
    2x gtx 680's at 1188mhz (soon to be 780's)

fah/web browser (19k ppd)

amd fx-4100 4.3ghz
    gtx 465 875mhz (soon to be 2x 680's)

18. ozaudio

Mobster

good on you mate :D you'l be much welcomed here! :cool:

have you added the tags I have showed above mate? I don't think you have as just one of the gtx 680 will get 80k ppd on its own :o

you will need to do it for each of the gpus , click on one gpu then add the

name : client-type
    value : advanced

then you will need to click ok then do the same for the other gpu , in the above picture you will noticed it only shows 1 gpu for me as I only have 1 , but it'll show 2 for you.

also don't cut your self short aswell, make sure you add the passkey as your CPU points will be MASSIVE compaired to what you get without a passkey

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  19. alex_123_fra

Wise Guy

Thanks ozaudio. Did what you said.

Displayed PPD on FAH Control is now between 100k to 180k depending on what WUs they are up to. Certainly better than 30-50k prior to doing what you said.

20. rickyjb

Gangster

thanks for the tip just added it to both gpu's. :o

i got a passkey from when i was folding for linus tech tips and im using it on both rigs, is that the right way to do it or should i have one for each rig?:confused:

also does your signature update its self ? if so how do i get one

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013