1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****Folding@home setup guide****

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by dekez, Nov 5, 2010.

1. FML1990

Gangster

The very latest on my 970

It seems to work fine when on medium or low performance. but as soon as I put it on high then it doesn't want to work.

CPU works fine when on high on its own.

2. PDW

Wise Guy

So what version is that ?

3. FML1990

Gangster

Going to update shortly as I see there are new drivers out now.

4. FatRakoon

Sgarrista

I stopped folding quite few years ago.

I think it was when I went from my first I7 up to my AMD 8 core, it kind of didnt handle it as good as the I7 did? Maybe it was a config issue, I dont know, and dont really care that much now, but I was talking the other day about FAH and how I had done it, and then it got me thingking...

I now own a ton of PCs, many of them get turned on a few times a day, and not only that but I also have my main PC with 8 cores. my daughters PC with 12 Cores and my Server with 64 cores, all running 24/7 so wh ythe hell dont I have another play about?

So I kicked it back in, only for it to simply stay there trying to find stuff to do, and after a short while re-trying... I decided to leavberit go cos I had stuff to do, but I forgot all about it and I came to it a few hours later and it still hadnt been able to download any work?

Ok, its bee na long time, so Itry to download the latest version, just in case but I go to teh page and all I see is a cartoonish type page with a dowbload link that does nothing but link me back on itself?

Is Folding At Home still running?

Why am I unable to do any folding anymore?

I am almost gutted really cos I got into the top 30 folders in OCUK before I gave up! I seriously doubt Im even in there now LOL

5. ozaudio

Mobster

one gpu will outdo all of your cpus, folding is aimed at gpus these days. no such thing as big adv units were you get loads of points either. them 480 gpus will be insane on folding though!

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/

click the start folding and a download box pops up.

6. FatRakoon

Sgarrista

Fantastic. Its downloaded.

Im a bit funky with the GPU... I did do it before, but the card got painfully hot.
    My CPU is fair game cos its cooled well enough, but the GFX has stock cooling on it.

I suppose what I could do, if the GPU is really THAT much better, is give my daughter a better card and get hers to do it.... Maybe the Media Center also... They can have half decent cards that I dont mind risking... I got a couple of GTX 470 cards that are spare, and a few ATI 7770 cards too! - they are mid range I suppose.. Although the 470s do get toasty anyway.

Well we shall see... A new approach and maybe I can limit myself.

7. ozaudio

Mobster

gtx 470 wont really do great, for example your gtx970 will do around 300'000 ppd, were as a gtx470 will be no more than 20'000 ppd. you could always use your cpus on boinc and join in with that. boincs abit like folding but has loads of projects for all sorts of things, from seti@home to science to math projects