Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 23rd November 2006

Associate
lol i might, although i dont want phone calls "why is my CPU usage constantly at 100%??!?", i dont think its guna be on for that many hours per day anyway, but you never know, my bro seems to be sending me a GPU WU per day so far which is far better than i had hoped for, i was thinking it might even miss the 4day deadlines, CCBBE 0616 this stepping is, i think he's lucky as that stepping looks pretty much guaranteed to hit 3ghz, only got an arctic pro to cool it but hopefully that will do

Soldato
mikeymike said:
lol i might, although i dont want phone calls "why is my CPU usage constantly at 100%??!?", i dont think its guna be on for that many hours per day anyway, but you never know, my bro seems to be sending me a GPU WU per day so far which is far better than i had hoped for, i was thinking it might even miss the 4day deadlines, CCBBE 0616 this stepping is, i think he's lucky as that stepping looks pretty much guaranteed to hit 3ghz, only got an arctic pro to cool it but hopefully that will do

The Arctic Pros are awesome, *should* keep your opty cool :D

SiriusB

Associate
i know they are good, i always suggest tp people on forums to get them :D i bought four at the same time last time they were in this week only, so far ive used three, two on xp4000+'s, one on an opteron144 which i currently am using myself, this is my last one, i know they do a really good job on single core athlons, just i always take the IHS off but he doesnt want me to take it off this and its dual core aswell, still obviously aiming for 3ghz+ just as long as temps dont become an issue

Associate
cert.php

cert.php

not long till im on the 1st page now :)

Associate
Good week overall for all, up on last week is always good!
Soooo close to first page now, rank 104 and climbing hehe.
Concorde still just ahead of me (heavy gaming weeks for both of us i think).
Lets keep getting new people in and keep that score rising :).

Soldato
nfoulger said:
Great week for me - switched 4x3GHz Mac Pro processors to SMP beta and achieving around 1,800 ppd. Still dropped several 587 pointers on comms problems back to Stamford though.
That's incredible tbh. Good job!

Soldato
SiriusB said:
For the first time in my life I have a small horrible urge to own a mac pro. I feel so ashamed. Who would want to own anything by Apple!?

:D

SiriusB

Been thinking the same thing since they had xeons in them.

Might settle for a core/core2 duo mini at xmas, my hackintosh just doesnt cut it anymore.

Associate
Not too bad a score for me since i've been slacking a lot these recent weeks. Running my own tests for genetic algorithms...

Anyway how much of a boost would adding a fx55 make?

Associate
Seems a good a place to start. I have used to auto settings in the BIOS & got a stable 8% o/c. Can anyone spot something wrong &/or suggest where to go from here.

1164491705cpu-2597.bmp

Corsair 3200 RAM 2 x 512MB

1164491534memory-2597.bmp

Thanks guys

Soldato
OP
Pilgrim57 said:
Seems a good a place to start. I have used to auto settings in the BIOS & got a stable 8% o/c. Can anyone spot something wrong &/or suggest where to go from here.
Well the first thing I can see is that your HT Link should really be under 1000MHz, there should be a divider somewhere so you can set it to 4/5 or something like that to give you more room for clocking higher

I've got my Bus speed at 240MHz and a 4/5 divider on the HT Bus to make it 960MHz, also got my RAM on a 5/6 divider so it runs at 200MHz as I think 240 would be pushing my stuff :o

Soldato
Turn off all the auto overclocking and auto speeds and such.

First you might want to give it more volts, as this will increase the oc a good deal. 1.45 or 1.5 are safe. Next, to limit the memory speeds so they are not a factor, set a really low divider, like 1:2 memory:htt. Then, set htt to 216 (or any starting point). HTT multiplier to 4x (to keep it less than 1000, as 4*216 < 1000). Test for stability for a little while, 10 minutes of orthos is enough for this preliminary test. Then increase HTT a few notches. Test. Increase etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom