Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 23rd November 2006

Soldato
Had a bit of a mare then. I've always been suspicious of the clients on the 805d. I've got C:\Folding\1 and C:\Folding\2, but the machine numbers have always been the wrong way round. Not a big deal, but it was annoying me so I went about changing them over. After much confusion, I checked the properties for the -configonly shortcut in Folding\2 and to my surprise, I see it's starting in Folding\1!

Much to my annoyance, it was looking at the config for 1 the whole time, causing lots of problems when they started at the same time (with the same machine number) :mad: Doh!

Sorted now anyway :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
aceface57 said:
Bigstan where are you planning on moving to then if you don't mind me asking?

I wanted to be somewhere in the middle of the country to make travelling to other places easy but not too far away from Scotland. I put a finger down on the map in the middle of Britain and it landed in West Yorkshire. I've been to Leeds and quite liked it but don't fancy city life so I asked a few friends in the area for recommendations for smaller places within easy reach.

Best I came up with after a litle advice and research was a place called Otley - decent sized market town, half an hour from Leeds city centre and within reasonable distance of Leeds Bradford Airport. I'm going to spend some time there at the start of the year (probably February) to check the place out and if it's good, I'm looking to move in April or May.

I have some friends who live in the area and an Aunt who lives in Harrogate so there are people I know nearby.

Once I move out, that'll be the end of the free leccy I'm afraid joeyjojo - that's why I'm looking to replace everything with quad cores to keep the costs down a bit but keep a reasonable output. Not much in the way of Folding going on at the moment - most of my Folding rigs seem to be down (strange how only one of the Rosetta rigs is down :confused: )

Thanks for the good luck wishes guys :)

Stan :)

Associate
I just want to move somewhere a bit closer to civilisation
I think he's moving to Aberdeen:)

Good luck with the move! I look forward to hearing what you'll be folding on in yr new pad. No doubt I'll turn green with envy.

PS congrat on the tiffy: I bet you did it in < 1 year.

Soldato
OP
Pilgrim57 said:
PS congrat on the tiffy: I bet you did it in < 1 year.
According to EOC his first recorded WU was submitted on 3rd November 2005 - still if you think of all the work he's missed out on from rigs crashing or being turned o** when he's away :o

Very H'impressive stuff :cool:

Associate
My brother bought his 1st house in Harrogate for 6k - doubt you'd get a garage for that in Otley now. You forgot to mention The Dales.

Sounds like you've got a good plan.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Pilgrim57 said:
Good luck with the move! I look forward to hearing what you'll be folding on in yr new pad. No doubt I'll turn green with envy.

The plan is to sell most of the farm off before the move (probably keep the two C2Ds and the M1710).

When the native quad core chips come out, I'll be looking to start building up the farm again with them and R600 gfx cards - main gaming rig will have crossfired R600s (watercooled) and the top of the range quad core CPU (also watercooled) and will be overclocked to the limit, giving me as good gaming performance as money can buy. If I can afford it at the time, I will build it and keep the two C2D rigs - if not, I'll sell them to finance the project.

The ultimate goal is to have 4 quad core rigs and the M1710 giving me 18 high performance cores to play with (all GPUs will, of course, be Folding with the GPU client). To start off with, the gaming rig will be the only one with the R600 gfx cards and the other rigs will use the 3 X1900s I currently have. When finances allow, all rigs will be equipped with R600s (probably when the price drops a little).

All in all this should give me a significant increase in production over my current farm but use much less power.

Stan :)

Soldato
SiriusB said:
little nuggets
Millions of tiny little nuggets of spam. ;)
I reckon i'd beat you in an average words/post ratio. :p

Sometimes i have days where i don't post, sometimes i have days where i post 40 posts or more, depends how busy i am and how many queries there are in the gh and oc&c forum that i feel i can help out with. I used to purely answer posts in those forums with 0 replies, i still do tend to go for those first but its pleasing to see there aren't nearly so many these days.

Dammit - if I was still a Don I'd have done something about that!
I think you should become a don again over the Christmas holidays as if the gd gets like it did in the summer the dons will be swamped.

Soldato
Freefaller said:
To stop bots from getting your email address I think...
Ahh i see.
And along the same lines, why do people cover their numberplates?
I heard its to stop people duplicating them, but surely hundreds of people will see your numberplate when you drive around. Or is it just a privacy thing?

If you link to your email address in a url in your sig is that bot proof?

SiriusB said:
You are the ultimate dirty spammer then if that is just 11 months of postage :p

SiriusB
I think that title is reserved for Gilly tbh. :p

Back
Top Bottom