Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 23rd November 2006

Soldato
I read conversations like this and remember.. yes it was for a very good reason I didn't go to Uni and study computing. It seems to me that very few of the highly technical and high ranked people in the ISP I work for actually have a comp-sci degree.

Soldato
Joe42 said:
My situation is almost identical.
We had a practical the other day, installing windows. Half the class tried to log onto their network accounts (windows had already been installed by the last group). Its unbelievable that thats the only part of the computer they have ever seen.
Several people don't own a pc, many struggle with the most basic operations.
So far so good on the internet technology section, i am learning something, but thats to be expected as i've never done any internet stuff before.

Its pretty much a basic computer skills course.

I do have a part time job at a supermarket (same as you i believe) so i could give up the course, work more hours and go searching for an IT job. I'd happily go and work for the purple shirts for a few years, in fact i'd enjoy it, although i expect that the company would get on my nerves after a while.

Wish i got paid for giving advice here, i'd earn a fortune (and probably get sued a couple of times) :p

I applied for a job a few months back that wanted a degree, they wanted a desktop support guy/girl. the three people who had degrees (currently working in asda and tescos) didn't know the first thing about desktop support
we where shown an email with a link like http://www.google. com
and asked to fix it.
they where stumped.

what do you learn in these things anyway????

Soldato
I think ultimately the best position to be in is to have both a degree and 2 years of experience in a rubbishy job, the question is do you really need to waste 3 years learning nothing to get a piece of paper?

What do we learn? Well, at the moment i'm learning java in one module, and linux commands in another, so those are both useful. In the remaining modules, i'm learning html, how peripherals work, and network topologies, and those are all pretty useless.
I also have one module where i'm leaning an oo language, but i'm not sure if thats useful or not because the language we use is unheard of in industry and the lecturer does nothing but read out his own power point slides, he doesn't actually explain anything.

The problem is, they don't really allow you to miss lectures, if you miss too many they kick you off the course, plus you have to go and learn some of the useless stuff to do the assignments and pass the exams. If this wasn't the case i would just miss all the pointless lectures and spend the time doing my own learning.
Its just like the A-level though in that they manage to make hard exames and assignments out of very easy subjects with very little technical depth, in the A-level they couldn't distuniguish between candidates by their technical knowledge, so instead they made the exam more of a memory test and were extremely fussy about technical terms, so a lot of people who knew the answer wouldn't get the marks, and i think the same kind of thing happens on this course to a certain extent.

Man of Honour
Joe42 said:
I think that title is reserved for Gilly tbh. :p

Someone else wanting banning.

I find a distinct irony in the fact that people posting in the only forum with more spam than GD are calling me spammy.
VeNT said:
he just makes massive use of the search tool to find any comments about him!
The only way to keep track of everything when you're as busy as me.

Soldato
You seem a little touchy today Gilly.

"Someone else wanting banning."

Now unless my Sense of Humour detector has broken that was a little uncalled for.

On another note... is there much spam in here?

SiriusB

Soldato
SiriusB said:

Now unless my Sense of Humour detector has broken that was a little uncalled for.

SiriusB
I find it funny that gilly, a moderator of the most spammed area of the forums, comes in here, as a non folder/DC contributor (afaik) and accuses us of spamming!

you saying that Slackwork and 'zerker arn't doing their jobs properly?

Man of Honour
Let's just drop it guys, it's not worth causing a **** storm just to prove or disprove a point. :)

I'm pretty sure that was a tongue in cheeky comment - he's from oop north, they have a wierd humour anyway :p

Soldato
Yup be a good idea to cool it down, the comments have all been in jest. :)

We all know testing is the most spammy, although you guys do try your best you can't compete with such thrillers as:

Title: Testing
Content: Test1

;)

Man of Honour
Freefaller said:
Spot the vanity search :p
Its not vanity. I never made a secret of the fact I search for my name. There's no other way to keep up with myself. Lord knows no-one else can do it ;)
SiriusB said:

SiriusB
How on earth could you possibly take that seriously?

And yes, this place has been full of spam since beaky recruited from GD. It went downhill and has been doing so ever since ;)

Back
Top Bottom