Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 26th May 2006

Soldato
well done lads, and once again rich, good job. :)

welcome all ye n00bs as well, as for the weekly problem list:

found out my 930d overheats after 4 hours at 4.2+, my 9500 even at pull pelt cannet take it so i have ordered an apex ultra and storm waterblock to control the beast, but it is currently n00bing away at 3ghz stock untill the kit arrives on monday, i also suffer powersurge-itus, my usp has recorded 3 cuts and 2 surges this week alone :eek:
so my output has dropped due to the declocking :(

Associate
Maybe the list should be coloured differently for multicores/processors (not including ht) at the top :D no ulteria motive in that suggestion, of course :p

Soldato
OP
benjo said:
Seconded :) Think about it.. my P3 doesnt hold much hope against a 4ghz pentium dual core :(
well I can do it - the question is what will count as single core and what will count as multi core.

for instance you're actually crunching on two machines but due to the fact one isn't on all the time and the other is very low spec you're in the list - however in my opinion it would be fairer to class you as a multi core rather than a single core user since there are others with similar/lower spec than your main machine which are also not on all the time :confused:

this is exactly why I've stuck with the "single machine" rule up until now - it's much simpler :p
If we can get some sort of agreement on what counts as what and a list of who's got single/multi cores then I'm happy to colour-code the entries in the news - I think having two seperate sections would make the news look messy but colours should be fine :)

Soldato
OP
Mikey1280 said:
I think we should just have Dual CORE and Dual PROCESSOR machines in a different colour.
yeah no problem - I'm just going through the single machine thread to see who's already said what they're running

probably gonna go with MultiCore/MultiCPU, SingleCore, and Unclarified for now.

Soldato
rich99million said:
well I can do it - the question is what will count as single core and what will count as multi core.

for instance you're actually crunching on two machines but due to the fact one isn't on all the time and the other is very low spec you're in the list - however in my opinion it would be fairer to class you as a multi core rather than a single core user since there are others with similar/lower spec than your main machine which are also not on all the time :confused:

Hehe, thats fair enough.. you can take me off the list now, i dont mind :)

Associate
i'd suggest that colour coding may be only a partial improvement.

i'm guessing the whole point of the lists is to give folders a warm fuzzy feeling when they've done a lot of points. and the single machine list is meant to extend the warmth and fuzziness down to us lesser mortals who otherwise would always be low on the main list.

but the fact is, there are many combinations of setup each creating a band that others in lower bands will struggle to compete with.
for example, i came 3rd on the single crunchers list this week with my X2 3800 (now clocked up @2.4). my machine was probably only running 80% of the week. the guys with single core machines don't stand much chance of beating me or even getting close unless i start running my machine only for a day or two. but similarly, i can't compete with dunc.

now colour coding would help, but how many colour bands should we have?
1 per cpu architecture?
1 per overclock rate?

2 similar cpu setups running at different overclocks could end up quite widely seperated by the end of the week.

maybe the single machine crunchers list could be coloured by cpu type but also include extra info:-
rank - name - points - cpu architecture - overclock speed.

this would help us all to see how we stand against each other in perspective.

however, i guess you can extend this line of argument quite a bit, should we specify all the other contributing factors to this weeks effort (system RAM, how many hours playing oblivion etc)?

:)

Soldato
OP
I think for that kind of detail you'd have to look at a web page based solution rather than a forum - the options for formatting just won't make that amount of detail readable in the news post, the news is getting long enough already and I fear people may already find it a bit too much to take in. :o

I will continue the way I am for now but with colour coding as mentioned above - if anyone else wants to look at the possibility of more detailed stats for comparison then by all means go for it, anything which raises/maintains interest can only be a good thing :)

Associate
Wow, I mean, tbh I was only really messin with that suggestion because of where it would put me this week!.. but now I think about it, I guess a bit more info can't hurt, as long as it isn't going to make doing the stats more work as I'm sure you already spend long enough compiling them.

Back
Top Bottom