Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 26th May 2006

Associate
Wow i still managed to get into the top dumpers with just 2pc's going last week, no chance at all of anything running folding now that im living with the parents for the summer. It is far to hot to have the computers here running all the time, during the day it reaches 30C easy and i don't have any aircon! Not only that the max speed i seem to be getting out of this connection is 33kbs!! I'm gutted i thought i would have at least broadband here :( When is vista likely to be released? That will be the perfect excuse to get a super crucher :p

Soldato
OP
Joe42 said:
And our team output has just halved... :o
I wouldn't have said it had halved - production over the last 24hrs is still 30k+
The figure of 17,466 is based on half the day so far, still another 12 hours to go due to the server being in the states.

We do seem to be a good 20-30% down on last week though :o :(

I hope you get your machine sorted soon :)

Soldato
rich99million said:
I hope you get your machine sorted soon :)
My second machine with my known good ram in it just failed memtest :eek:
Lowering the speed a little seems to have fixed it tho, thankfully.

Main machine still fails, no matter what, and that ram passed in my second machine. I'll either have to swap some cpu's around or live with it or something...

In a few weeks time, when i've finished my exams, i'll be getting my (second) seasonic psu, and i'll have another go at running 24/7 with it. I'll clock it up to 2.6 aswell if i can sort this ram problem out. That should more than double my output.

Associate
What motherboards are you users of 3800x2's using out there?? Because I've been trying the ABIT UL8 - the first one died on me within an hour, the second has been crashing like hell - I thought it was a heat problem, but I've just cleaned up the CPU and spread silver thermal compound on it and reseated the fan, which i have running at max revs so the cpu temp is 35C even under full load, and it's *still* crashing! :( It must be this No swearing! cheap mobo! Part of the reason I got the mobo was because it's an AGP one, and I don't want to face the expense of replacing my 6600GT AGP card.

<sob> I need a stable system!!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
kinnison said:
What motherboards are you users of 3800x2's using out there?? Because I've been trying the ABIT UL8 - the first one died on me within an hour, the second has been crashing like hell - I thought it was a heat problem, but I've just cleaned up the CPU and spread silver thermal compound on it and reseated the fan, which i have running at max revs so the cpu temp is 35C even under full load, and it's *still* crashing! :( It must be this ****** cheap mobo! Part of the reason I got the mobo was because it's an AGP one, and I don't want to face the expense of replacing my 6600GT AGP card.

<sob> I need a stable system!!

I had mine up to 2.85 on an A8N SLI Deluxe but not stable. It runs at 2.65 stable on that board at 1.425 volts.
I tried it in my DFI Expert board but the RAM was borked (I got it to boot at 2.90 but the RAM fell over before I could test it) so I'll be trying it tomorrow when my new RAM arrives.

All on air btw.

Stan :)

Better star out the sweary btw, that word isn't allowed as far as I know :)

Soldato
Most people who want to use their old AGP cards use the ASRock mobos. They seem to be pretty good by most accounts, although leave something to be desired for OCing.

Other people's mobos can be found here.

Soldato
PC 4 joined pc's 1-3 in dodgy land today. It won't boot anymore. Than means every desktop i own is faulty. Two fail memtest, one crashes constantly and now this one won't boot... :mad:

Associate
Joe42 said:
PC 4 joined pc's 1-3 in dodgy land today. It won't boot anymore. Than means every desktop i own is faulty. Two fail memtest, one crashes constantly and now this one won't boot... :mad:

Ouch. Damn. :eek:

Can only hope you manage to get them all fixed.
Good luck, looks like you got a lot of work.
Hope it doesn't cost much in the way of new parts to get them working. :(

Soldato
oceaness said:
Ouch. Damn. :eek:

Can only hope you manage to get them all fixed.
Good luck, looks like you got a lot of work.
Hope it doesn't cost much in the way of new parts to get them working. :(
Thanks for your concern.
Its really not my week this week.
Got pc2 up and running again, relaxed the ram settings a bit and it passes memtest ok now. However i will need to experiment with it in future because from what i can see its failing memtest at settings the ram is supposed to be able to do.
No idea whats up with pc4 but its only a 433 so it wasn't doing a lot of folding to begin with.
My main concern is the opty still failing memtest no matter what i do, however its running windows fine so its folding again. Cost isn't really the issue, its finding out what to replace thats bugging me...

Looks like i'm about to be stomped by appleby, but i'll be giving OCukWildWeasel a run for his money... ;)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Got my new RAM today and fired her up.

Managed to get through 1M superpi at 2.95 but - dunno if it was stable or not as I didn't want to leave it that high with me going to be away for a couple of weeks. Couldn't quite get it to boot at 3.0 - would get to the Knight Rider lights and then freeze - no matter what I tried. Looks like phase will be purchased when I get back from Egypt :D

I ran dual primes for 4 1/2 hours at 2.85 with no problems and she's been folding for a couple of hours now; just dandy :cool:

Spec for this machine now:

DFI NF4 Expert
X2 3800 @ 2.85 - 1.5V
Si120 cooler
2GB G.Skill ZX PC3200
Scabby old GFX card :p
CPU temps - 27c idle and 40c full load

Edit: Unfortunately, I've lost a rig. I promised my Dad he could have one of mine as his was pants and was really slow when he was trying to edit his photos.
I gave him the Northwood as it was my lowest producer but clocked to 2.88 with 1Gb of good RAM it will be more than enough for his needs.
F@H has, of course, been left on but he hardly ever has his machine on so it's output will fall drastically (must remember to set it to deadlineless WUs next time I visit :o ).

Stan :)

Last edited:
Soldato
awsome new rig, Mr.Bigstan! :D

as for the temps, its a dfi expert so add 10c on to the temps. ( yes i do have one too)

37-50, thats much more beliveable.

Tempted to replace/buy another x2 rig, but i need to save the small amount of cash i have for my laptop/conroe. :(

Associate
Heh I just finished a rig thats almost exactly the same Stan.

DFI NF4 Expert
X2 3800 @ 2.5 - 1.4V
Freezer 64 Pro
2GB OCZ PC4000 @500mhz :D
Cheap graphics card
+10 as stated ;) 40 - 48C.

With the latest BIOS from the DFI site you can actually automatically add or subtract 10 degrees in the BIOS to help get more acurate readings :)

I love this DFI board, you can up the FSB all the way to 550mhz, though I realise it wont nescasarily remain solid for particularly long, I imagine it would probably melt :p

Now if only we could get 550x10 on a 3800 X2.
mmmmm 5500mhz *2 :D (if only)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom