Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 26th May 2006

Associate
yeah sorry, can i put my earlier suggestions to one side, they were only meant as ideas anyway.

what i really want to say is thanks for taking the time to compile the stats list every week. i for one appreciate it.

:D

Associate
rich99million said:
:D

no problem - I have colour coded all the ones I know or could check as only having 1 client, the few left have 2 (or more) and I can't remember just now what the deal is with those :o

Top banana :D Mine's a single..

Man of Honour
Soldato
Crap! Things are not going well in BTI land today. I've been fiddling with the Xeon box as I mentioned earlier and I was working my way up to 233 MHz FSB and 16x multi (3.728 GHz). In the past in search of higher clocks I removed the heatsink that cools the MOSFETs a machined it for a closer fit. I never properly reinstalled it though becasue I was hoping to be less lazy about the vDIMM mod. Anyway, today I finally reseated it with AS5 and i thought it looked really slick and should gave cooled much better. However, it will no longer boot at 200 MHz FSB, let alone 233. :mad: In order to post this I had to turn it down to 100 MHz x 12 (1.200 GHz). :(

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I've taken it off and cleaned everything off and it still won't work. The AS applicationn looked mint when I took it off; everyting was where it should have been and there was none slopped off the intended surfaces. I hope to God it's not fried. :(

Associate
It's funny you say all this.. Since I got my Athlon dual core on Friday, my P4-3200 has been relugated to a bare mobo with the rest of my farm, but suddenly it refuses to work for more than a few minutes before it stops dead. I can only assume due to heat. I've turned the freq down from 200 to 166, and the cpu is running *much* cooler, right now it's been running for 30mins without crashing, i just hope it's stable! Otherwise it's a Athlon 3800x2 up, and a P4 gone, which won't change my ppd by much :p

Man of Honour
Soldato
Ok then, this morning I decided to fiddle with the Xeon machine again trying to get it to work. Bear in mind I didn't change anything. I switch it on and it boots just fine at 100 MHz * 12. I switched it offf and changed the FSB to 133 MHz. It boots fine again. I turn up the multi to 16 and it works. I then threw caution to the wind and moved back to a 200 MHz FSB. It fires right up just like it should have done yesterday. Gha! I didn't change anything! How does it fix itself!? /screams and pulls out hair.

Long story short I'm up and crunching again. :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Pretty much back up to full strength now plus the X2 3800 which arrived on Friday (I will be losing one of the single core machines soon as my Dad's PC is not really good enough for what he needs and I promised him one of mine to replace it).

I got the 3800 put together on Friday but never got a chance to play until this afternoon - flippin heck she's good :D

So far I've got it to 2.85 (from 2.0) on stock cooling at 1.425V.

It is now being held back by the mobo - my A8N SLI Deluxe falls over at 290 htt.
It will be going into the DFI Expert tomorrow along with an Si120 - I may well get 3.0 out of this on air yet :eek:

I am seriously considering getting phase to have a proper play :p

Thanks as always for the stats Rich, welcome to the fold newcomers and well done team 10 :)

Stan :)

Man of Honour
Soldato
If anybody cares here's a wee shot of the modified part before I installed it.

The idea behid the madness is having greater contact. From the factory the thermal compound under the heatsink was a single solid strip of a material with a chewed bubblegum-like texture. My theory was that I could get better power and higher overclocks if I could better cool these parts. Measuring it was a bear but I finally determined all the specs and cut it down so that the heatsink would sort of "sink down" to touch all the chips. It's working nicely now and the heatsink is hot to the thouch, a good sign!

Soldato
Be carefull with mosfet/vreg heatsinks. I nearly fried the ones on my graphics card before i realised that the outside isn't isolated so plonking a metal heatsink on em will cause them smoke. You have to use an electrically non-conductive thermal material.

As it happens i had another crack at overclocking my opty again today. Got to 2.5 no bother but got errors in prime at 2.6 regardless of volts. Memtest also failed, and to cut a long story short, continues to fail even with everything at stock and below stock!

I've got a thread on it here

Any help would be appreciated... i'm guessing its faulty memory and i just haven't tested it properly before.

The good news is my cpu can probably go further than i thought. Also made a duct between my panaflo and scythe ninja and it seems to have improved temps a bit.

Soldato
Talking of lazy... i was just getting round to putting that link in ;)

As for your ddr booster thread, if no-one answers it i'd have another go in the memory forum. I have heard of people using those things with some success so someone might be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom