Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 27th July 2006

Soldato
Remember my system was failiing memtest but the memory was fine?
The rma has been processed, turned out to be the board.
Which means i'll be getting my old opty back with a new board soon. :)

I think when it comes back its time to take it to 2.6.

Todays job is to get the fileserver back up again and folding. Got to rescue my corrupted 'things to buy' list, or try and remember it if not and order some new stuff this weekend to go in the main system.

Soldato
Good news everyone! With the awesome price of the 3700+ here at OcUK I have convinced my bro he needs to buy his computer NOW!

Should arrive Tuesday [assuming there are any 3700s left on Monday :p] and will hopefully be up and running by the evening. With a spot of luck there will be a long enough Cat5e cable waiting for me at a mates offices... an "offcut" - honest, guv :D

Mmm two machines crunching away :D

SiriusB

Soldato
It looks like they have updated the cilent since i last set one up last week...

newclientmsgwq7.jpg

I'm sure that wasn't there before... or am i going mad?

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
You're going mad.
I did wonder... :p

My things to buy list in word has corrupted itself and turn into 2 pages of little squares. Tried a couple of free recovery programs, and tried various different copies and all are corrupted. Anyone know how to fix it?
Its going to take me ages to remember all the things i need and such.

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
You're going mad, that's the bit that has always said that you installed the service but it's not going to run as a service until you start it manually or reboot the computer.

Yep, it was always there :) As a seasoned FAHer your eyes probably skipped over it because it's not asking a question!

Joe42 said:
Anyone know how to fix it?

You could try opening it in Notepad or similar to see if you can extract any readable text?

Soldato
Mattus said:
You could try opening it in Notepad or similar to see if you can extract any readable text?
I get lines and lines of spaces instead of squares this time. Is this a common problem, should i ask in the windows forum?
Is it likely to be recoverable?

Associate
Admiral Huddy said:
\o/ better week for me..

I got the 100,000 Tiffy

and

I stomped Bigdom yesterday.. :cool:

He must be away at the moment, I'm sure he'll stomp me back soon.

Oh I'm around just off the ball... PC's have been struggling with the heat so one is offline and others aren't running at full speed.

Soldato
Joe42 said:
I get lines and lines of spaces instead of squares this time. Is this a common problem, should i ask in the windows forum?
Is it likely to be recoverable?

Sounds like it might be gone. Email it to matt at matt-wood dot co dot uk if you want me to have a go, but I fear it could be lost for ever... :(

Associate
Down to 23rd in the top crunchers list. :eek:

Can only be good for the team!! :D :D

Thanks as always for the stats Rich. You are the man!!

Core 2 powah on order. ;)

Honwards and Hupwards OcUK

Soldato
RobOC said:
Have you performed a chkdsk recently Joe42? Sounds like you may need to.
It was on a machine with memory problems.
Sounds like it might be gone. Email it to matt at matt-wood dot co dot uk if you want me to have a go, but I fear it could be lost for ever...
Thats kind of you to offer, would be really great if you can get it back, if not i'll just have to sit down for a few hours and try and remember what was on that 2 page list. Bound to end up shorter, which could be a good thing or a bad thing... ;)

Soldato
Well it was somewhat folding related, lots of bits to make the opty silent so i can run it overnight and double its production.

I could do it on here, that way its not going to get lost a second time. ;)

I've got an old version in my pda, so let me go and hook that up...

Soldato
I do want to overclock the 3700+ but it depends on the temps inside the Antec Aria case.

The PC is for my bro as a sort of HTPC. However I am going to convince him that he wants to leave it on all day long :D

Current spec we're going for is:

CP-150-AM AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-150-AM)
£54.95 £54.95
FG-000-AR Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (FG-000-AR)
£9.95 £9.95
MB-119-AS Asus A8N-VM CSM Micro ATX (Socket 939) PCI Express Motherboard (MB-119-AS)
£46.95 £46.95
MY-005-GL GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (GE1GB3200BHDC) (MY-005-GL)
£59.95 £59.95
HD-018-SA Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-018-SA)
£42.50 £42.50
CA-021-AN Antec Aria Micro ATX Cube Case - 300W PSU (CA-021-AN)
£59.50 £59.50
Subtotal £273.80
VAT £47.92
Total £321.72

Not bad for a budget of 300 quid. Managed to get a better CPU and cooler because of the massive price cuts on the 3700+. It is 20 quid over budget but that was down to the case.

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom