Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 29th June 2006

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm currently running 10 full-time cores and 5 of them have 56 pointers. One core has a 574 pointer, the rest are ordinary Gromacs - pretty dismal average compared to some lucky bleeders :(

Stan :)

Edit: Interestingly, when I set up the X2 3800 for the slugfest, I set one core with -advmethods and one without (specifically to see whether it made a difference or not - once the slugfest is over I will check the breakdown of WUs received and compare). The core without is only 100 points behind after 10 days of the competition - quite interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
sr4470 said:
E7even.com
We nearly went with them.
Decided to go with talktalk instead, might be worth a look if your interested. Still waiting for it to be activated tho so i can't comment on the service.
Bigstan said:
OOPS!!

I appear to have inadvertently ordered another X2 3800 - how on earth did that happen
You should have waited until conroe launches, those X2s will be almost halving in price. Or even better order a low end conroe. ;)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Joe42 said:
You should have waited until conroe launches, those X2s will be almost halving in price. Or even better order a low end conroe. ;)

I will be in Egypt when this happens and I couldn't guarantee that there would be any left when I get back and I really wanted another one of these.

Don't worry, a Conroe system will be first thing on the cards when I get back (probably early August).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
Stan you are a legend - I take my hat, hair, and scalp off to you! :cool: :D

I think the phrase you're looking for is "More money than sense" :o

Things could get a little tricky though as I haven't ordered decent cooling for it as my intention was to put it in the A8N Deluxe board the SD 4000 is currently in, using the Si120 which is already there. I have ordered a cheapo mobo and another one of those little Aspire cases (they're quite good vfm those) and a HDD to re-house the SD (I have everything else I need).

Only problem is, I've just remembered that I beheaded the SD and butchered the plastic frame thingy of the Si120 to make it fit so it won't fit the 3800 when it comes. Also, the Si120 won't fit in the Aspire case as it's too big so I have 4 options:

1) Butcher one of the spare stock heatsinks I have to fit the Aspire case with the SD and use another stock heatsink with the 3800 until I get a decent cooler.

2) Butcher one of the spare stock heatsinks I have to fit the Aspire case with the SD and remove the ihs from the 3800 :eek: so that the Si120 will fit.

3) Use a stock cooler for the 3800 until I get decent cooling for it and run the SD nekkid on the matx board with the cut down Si120.

4) Try the 3800 in the cheapo mobo with the stock cooler and keep the SD where it is.

I may try option 4 first and if I can get a decent oc with the 3800 in the cheapo board I can just leave things as they are for the time-being. If not I can try 1 of the other options.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bigstan said:
I think the phrase you're looking for is "More money than sense" :o
ahh well - I'm sure my dad spends more money on his little flying habit, and he couldn't sell his experience like you could sell your crunchers if you had to
at the end of the day it's your money and you earnt it (more than I can say for my dad :o)

if I had the money, space, and a company-paid leccy bill then I'd be right behind you in the queue for fresh crunchers :D

Soldato
OP
LeftfieldTilt said:
Humm I Dont seem to be on the single machine list anymore :confused:
yep you are still on the list (you'll see you're in the list in the small print at the bottom of the news post) - it's just that the stats reckon you didn't return any work last week so rather than put you on there with zero I decided to just not list you

as you've dumped work since the news last week you'll be back in the list this week :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
That's the new X2 3800 built and running :cool:

Got her running at 2.50 in the little case just now. Running a bit hot so I'm going to let her run overnight and if she doesn't settle down by morning, I'll start shifting things around.

Folding away happily on a couple of GBGromacs as I type :D

Soldato
Bigstan said:
That's the new X2 3800 built and running :cool:

Got her running at 2.50 in the little case just now. Running a bit hot so I'm going to let her run overnight and if she doesn't settle down by morning, I'll start shifting things around.

Folding away happily on a couple of GBGromacs as I type :D

Rich bugger and all his bloody money the complete git.....*wanders off muttering*

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom