Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 29th March 2007

Associate
Where did my 375,000 tiffy go?? Either I got it this fortnight, or last.. but I looking at the weekly news for 2 weeks ago, and I didn't get it then either! <boohoo> :(

Kinnison.

Soldato
OP
kinnison said:
Where did my 375,000 tiffy go?? Either I got it this fortnight, or last.. but I looking at the weekly news for 2 weeks ago, and I didn't get it then either! <boohoo> :(

Kinnison.
fixed - sorry about that :o

There were so many tiffies this week I think I went a bit tiffy-blind after the first 40 or so :p

Associate
1m tiffy

cert.php

Woohoo reached the big 1m quicker than expected thanks to the linux smp wu's.

A big thanks to SiriusB and the other posters for the SMP guide :) and the competition from other team mates that spurred me on.

A big welcome to the new folders and cheers for the news Rich :cool:

oscar speech over lol

Soldato
OP
2bullish said:
BTW what percentage difference did you find between linux and windows smp as I didnt see much difference on a 4800+
I would say there are a few good reasons to go Linux if you have the option.

1. Far more stable client
2. Lower CPU usage yet just as good (if not better) throughput - less heat with the better weather coming
3. Avoid those damn p2610 WUs that are bogging down even C2D machines
4. Infinitely cheaper in terms of licensing

Wheras the only reasons for picking the Windows SMP client are to help with the beta testing and access to other windows-based applications/games if you need them

Soldato
OP
mikeymike said:
Anyone noticed we now have 3 teams catching us?

2ch@PS3 / 3.6 Months
Team 2ch / 5.3 Years
PlayStation.com Forum Team / 17.9 Years
make that 4 now - and those ETAs are dropping all the time :o

2ch@PS3 / 3.1 Months
Team 2ch / 5.7 Years
PlayStation.com Forum Team / 7.7 Years
PS3 Forums / 13.9 Years
:(

though on the plus side our increased output has us catching 5 teams in the next 2 months! :cool:

Associate
rich99million said:
I would say there are a few good reasons to go Linux if you have the option.

1. Far more stable client
2. Lower CPU usage yet just as good (if not better) throughput - less heat with the better weather coming
3. Avoid those damn p2610 WUs that are bogging down even C2D machines
4. Infinitely cheaper in terms of licensing

Wheras the only reasons for picking the Windows SMP client are to help with the beta testing and access to other windows-based applications/games if you need them

Well I tried ubuntu on a winxp pro machine with the 4800+ and then tied the winsmp, I saw no noticable difference in performance (although didnt check heat).

True enough about the 2610's though, they are hard work. Ive gone back to 1 cpu and 1 gpu client on the amd machine as it gives me 800 ppd average, more than the smp clients.

Soldato
How long did you test the two different SMP clients for? Any difference in PPD isn't likely to be very apparent until several WUs have been completed.

Although to be fair the WinSMP client is so much easier for most people, any difference in PPD is more than made up with time saved in setting it up [looks at shadow :p].

Associate
shadowscotland said:
and who's fault is that :p
Actually dispite the time it took me, my Linux SMP's are wooping WinSMP 3:1 in PPD (2000:600) Ok it's not fair as the Lsmp C2D is at 3Ghz where a Wsmp is 2 but both are at max of hardware provided

Oh well as long as there both at max then that seems fair. :rolleyes: ;)

Permabanned
rich99million said:
make that 4 now - and those ETAs are dropping all the time :o

2ch@PS3 / 3.1 Months
Team 2ch / 5.7 Years
PlayStation.com Forum Team / 7.7 Years
PS3 Forums / 13.9 Years
:(

though on the plus side our increased output has us catching 5 teams in the next 2 months! :cool:

What are the chances of the PS3 clients WUs having their value reconsidered and lowered? :p

Soldato
OP
divine_madness said:
What are the chances of the PS3 clients WUs having their value reconsidered and lowered? :p
I'd say pretty slim really - Stanford will want to keep their new pool of crunchers happy :o :p

I was very close to buying a load of AGP X1950Pro cards earlier - sooo very tempting :eek:

Soldato
3GHz = 2000ppd

2GHz = 600ppd

2000/3 = 666.55 ppd/GHz

600/2 = 300 ppd/GHz

So assuming the two C2D rigs shadow has are similar [other than CPU speed] the above seems to show that the Linux SMP client gives a huge advantage over the Windows SMP client.

Back
Top Bottom