Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 2nd November 2006

Associate
Hehe managed to get into top 50 producers.
Looks like team's production really increasing atm, probably the advent of GPU folding at a guess, hopefully they can let us fold on GPU and 2 cores of CPU soon ;).
Well done everyone and lets keep going.
Im gonna try the official 6.10s now, so will report back when I have done as to speed increase/decrease or any problems.

Man of Honour
MGP said:
Mine's doing alright, nothing special, It all adds to the total. I can see your trying to delay the inevitable stomping, in a weeks time ;)

125ppd, per core, for an amber 1809 and as much as 167ppd, per core, when it got a GBGromac 2089. That's with a T2400 (1.83Ghz), 1GB 533 DDR2 Ram.

No point in trying to stop the inevitable :p I just wanted to see if it's worth adding extra crunching from that. ;)

Associate
Ok have now updated to the new official 6.10s. Despite the mixed reviews on the Stanford forums of these drivers they seem fine to me, am now going through a WU at 5:42 per frame, so around the same speed as the BETAs.
No problems so far :).

Soldato
Nice job with the news as always Mr 99million Sah :cool:

If only I could get rid of some of these carp wus.

May have to get a graphics card I can crunch on too!! :p

Dunc

Soldato
SiriusB said:
No excuse not to get an X1900! They're pretty damn cheap over here in fair Britain - and that's saying something.

SiriusB
There's every excuse not to get one... next gen nvidia stuff on Wednesday means prices cuts. So there's no excuse not to get one after Wednesday... :p
Although i'm still unable to find one with a proper cooler, and i'm reluctant to void the warranty to fit my own as i doubt i will be able to get the stock cooler back on in the event of an rma.

SiriusB said:
A decent clockers board should automatically lock stuff like the PCI bus. However I suspect some you still might have to set the lock manually.

SiriusB
No option for locks in the bios that i can see. Its not really an overclockers board but it does have voltage and fsb adjustment options and memory speed options so i can't believe they wouldn't include pci locks.

Ok have now updated to the new official 6.10s. Despite the mixed reviews on the Stanford forums of these drivers they seem fine to me, am now going through a WU at 5:42 per frame, so around the same speed as the BETAs.
No problems so far .
Good, i'll leave the link in the guide then.

Last edited:
Soldato
All's good in the hood. Got the 805d together, priming at 3.7ghz stock volts, 50-53 orthos load. Amazed how small and light the super lanboy is, tis a beaut of a case, and only 30 quid! Also impressed with the quietness of the freezer. This machine makes the watercooled opty sound loud (it is, I need to replace the rad fans with these silent papst ones at some point).

Bad news, the opty won't boot any more. With one stick it's fine, no dice with two :( Will experiment with more volts and mem settings in a bit. Damn expert board, more trouble than its worth. An sli-dr would have been easier I reckon.

Soldato
After an hour of priming I deem her stable enough for a night's folding. Set it all up, as per guide, very helpful that. Straight away she's bagged two p997 wus. 333 ppd/core, very happy indeed, and theres more tweaking to come :)

Soldato
Ohhhhh I 'storm in' as a top stomper !!! :p Well being new as well i suppose it not hard.... Only got 5 CPU's crunching atm but planning to get that up over the next few weeks.

Just so y'all know I was doing Seti@home but once I got to the top 0.5% of all time I got bored - time for a new challenge :D :D

Roll on more stompings!!

Soldato
OP
feriso said:
Ohhhhh I 'storm in' as a top stomper !!! :p Well being new as well i suppose it not hard.... Only got 5 CPU's crunching atm but planning to get that up over the next few weeks.

Just so y'all know I was doing Seti@home but once I got to the top 0.5% of all time I got bored - time for a new challenge :D :D

Roll on more stompings!!
You'll fit in just fine :D
You stomped nearly half the team in your first week, admittedly most of them inactive, that's pretty impressive whatever way you look at it :cool:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
feriso said:

Roll on more stompings!!

Go get the slackers :D

Soldato
Stompity stomp, Mr 42 :D

I would have issued it earlier but this is the first proper chance I have had to post today!

RobOC should be stomped a few hours before MGP gets me, I aint even gonna bother moving my furniture in, just sit outside the front door and wait to give the keys to MGP :p

deej isn't a concern, either a file server or E6600 upgrade should have presented itself in the next 58 days. 2bullish will probably stomp me before then, but it's merely a pit stop on my part. My Ferrari will be zooming past his broken down old Peurgeot soon enough!

SiriusB

Soldato
anyone else have issues with the gui client where if you close it and start it (ie reboot PC etc) it says the deadline for that WU has passed?

Soldato
OP
VeNT said:
anyone else have issues with the gui client where if you close it and start it (ie reboot PC etc) it says the deadline for that WU has passed?
The normal CPU GUI client?
Not heard of that happening before, you sure your system clock is reliable? With the console version you can select "Ignore local clock" - I can't remember if that's an option in the GUI or not but if so it will stop that happening assuming it's something a bit odd with your system

Soldato
rich99million said:
The normal CPU GUI client?
Not heard of that happening before, you sure your system clock is reliable? With the console version you can select "Ignore local clock" - I can't remember if that's an option in the GUI or not but if so it will stop that happening assuming it's something a bit odd with your system
no, I meen the GPU client sorry.

Associate
Hi Guys thought I'd share this as a minor acheivement of folding more since I joined the good team OcUK.
What's happened to the project 1495 WU's?

cert.php

Soldato
Pilgrim57 said:
Hi Guys thought I'd share this as a minor acheivement of folding more since I joined the good team OcUK.
What's happened to the project 1495 WU's?
Nice tiffy :)

All the nice wus seem to have disappeared :( 212x are the order of the day, on advmethods anyway.

Soldato
OP
VeNT said:
no, I meen the GPU client sorry.
ahh right - well I had a quick look earlier on the main forums and could see nothing about the GPU client having deadline problems anyway

I'm assuming you're not sitting on the WUs for more than 4 days? I get through a couple each day so I'd hope not :p
There should still be the option to ignore system clock though - I'd try that if there's nothing else wrong

Back
Top Bottom