Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 31st May 2007

Cob

Cob

Soldato
35% of perfectness, and then it decides it doesn't want to play. Four cores all still running at 100%, but no work being done in over 2 hours.

And ofcourse shutting down and restarting only leads to the inevitable :rolleyes:

Soldato
rich99million said:
me too - though firstly the CM stacker is too heavy to be lobbing anywhere and secondly I don't think it'll fit out of any of the windows in this cottage :p :D

seriously though the winSMP client is evil, the fact it works at all points at the fact somebody at Stanford had to sell their soul to make it even possible :o

Ahh a fellow stacker folder. You really can't chuck these things out of a Window. Even if you had the Herculean strength to lob the ****ing thing out, you'd probably set off a seizmometer in California! :D

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Moved back to native for a week. Not much i can do in windows with 1gb, so I'll play with Ubuntu for a bit.

Got a couple of 3029's and a 3050 running. Haven't seen them for a while.

Soldato
Cob said:
35% of perfectness, and then it decides it doesn't want to play. Four cores all still running at 100%, but no work being done in over 2 hours.

And ofcourse shutting down and restarting only leads to the inevitable :rolleyes:
see my output for the last three weeks?
thats normal clients, win SMP may give more PPD theoreticaly but I've found that the lost WUs etc cause it to be LOWER than standard clients PPD on a core2duo system

Associate
Glad I'm not the only one having trouble with WinSMP.

3 of my clients just stopped working. The fah.exe service is still running, but the cores aren't and there's nothing in the log to say there was a problem. Its like they just give up.

Coincidently, the three machine that stopped working all lost their network connections over the weekend, but none of them were even close to returning their WUs. :confused:

Associate
That doesn't surprise me, when that happened to my Linux SMP it coincided with the telephone lines going down, looking at the frame times tells me it stopped crunching whilst still running around the time the phone lines came back to life.

Associate
Got 2 instances running on my new laptop, a C2D
2 instances on a Xeon server
1 instance running on my 3700 sandy.

Only getting 710ppd combined. I've been hearing that the Conroes are getting 1500ppd easy.... So, am I doing something wrong or are Conroes just awesome at this stuff ?

It's going to take a preverbial age to get anywhere.... :confused:

Associate
A lot of folks, myself included run one of the multicore folding clients.

There are 2 multicore clients available for the PC, Linux SMP and Windows SMP.

Have a read of the stickies and the SMP threads and see if any take your fancy.

I am running the Linux SMP client, my copy of Linux is running on a virtual machine inside Windows XP, so it doesn't interfere with day to day computing tasks.

Others are running Windows SMP with varying degrees of success.

Both clients have short deadlines, 4 days is usual so your pc needs to be either very fast or on for a large chunk of the day to run them.

Have a read and post your questions dude.:)

Soldato
mattbrown91 said:
Can this SMP thing be run as a service and how reliable is it in Windows? Is there any benefit to running it in a linux environment ?

the windows SMP can't be run as a service at this time (however there was a thread about this maybe possible).

i have been running it for about 1 week now on my E4300 and it's been foot perfect so far (fingers crossed - probably cursed it!)

Read the sticky - really easy to get running and the points per wu are generally much higher (currently grinding out a 1760 pointer!! :eek: )

Not tried the linux version as i have zero (nah minus) knowledge of linux/virtual machines etc (although the sticky is good!)

works find for me and generally spits out about 1000ppd dependant on time on/wu etc.

Associate
The Linux SMP client is more efficient, but I think the chances of running it as a service in its entirety are a bit slim when running it in a VMWare Virtual Machine.

Soldato
booyaka said:
the windows SMP can't be run as a service at this time (however there was a thread about this maybe possible).

i have been running it for about 1 week now on my E4300 and it's been foot perfect so far (fingers crossed - probably cursed it!)

Read the sticky - really easy to get running and the points per wu are generally much higher (currently grinding out a 1760 pointer!! :eek: )

Not tried the linux version as i have zero (nah minus) knowledge of linux/virtual machines etc (although the sticky is good!)

works find for me and generally spits out about 1000ppd dependant on time on/wu etc.

Wrong it can, there is even a thread about it on here. It works too. :)

Soldato
OP
can you say "EUE"?

Code:
Last 7 Days Production
Day 	Points 	WUs
06.05.07 	0 	346
06.04.07 	482 	216
06.03.07 	1,260 	40
06.02.07 	393 	18
06.01.07 	1,275 	12
05.31.07 	886 	3
05.30.07 	1,821 	3
05.29.07 	660 	2

that's a major pain - think WinXP finally has given up on me as last night I plugged my external hard drive in and it crashed the system, twice, since then it just constantly EUEs on the GPU client :(

running 2 standard clients for now but I may very well be opting for a dual-boot with Ubuntu - depends if a fresh install makes this GPU behave properly again or if it's something more serious :o

Associate
Project : 2620
Core : Gromacs
Frames : 100
Credit : 292

-- Laptopcore1 --

Min. Time / Frame : 10mn 02s - 419.08 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 10mn 04s - 417.70 ppd

I'm not too disappointed with this WU, this one below is alright but going to take a bit of time.

Project : 1169
Core : Gromacs
Frames : 100
Credit : 574

-- Laptopcore2 --

Min. Time / Frame : 31mn 04s - 419.08 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 57mn 57s - 142.63 ppd

I think the
31mn 04s was a fluke.

Back
Top Bottom