Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 5th April 2007

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Dunno specifically the demands of CS-S, but I do play a lot of COD2 on my E6600. Never bother switching off folding, CPU, in fact the Win SMP works just fine. it just idles when it wanted.

When I experimented with the GPU client, that did have to be killed or weirdness happenned in game.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
BillytheImpaler said:
On an OC'd C2Q I'd expect to see between 2500 and 3500 points per day.

Depends which client he's running.

I have a similar system at the moment (OCed to 3GHz but only 2Gb RAM). Running the WinSMP client only gave me 1700 ppd (running 2 clients didn't help, the WUs just took twice as long - only used 2 cores regardless of how many clients I ran for some odd reason :confused: ). Running the Linux SMP client on Suse 10.2 gives me between 2750 and 3050 ppd, depending on the WU.

Stan :)

Soldato
tommy_knockers said:
Will this process a lot.

Yes. ;) 2000-3000ppd.

I have a **** internet connection (3mb broadband) so I am figuring this may make a difference.

Not really. You won't lose more than 20mins a day, even on the really big WUs.

When I play CS-S will it still fold in the background.

Yup. You'll still have three spare cores so it might not even be much slower.

Soldato
As to power (educated guess based on reliable figs) - Q6700 full system inc sata HDD, 2Gb and air cooling stock clocks (not raid or H2O or sli)

- 230w idle
- 330W folding (screen off)
- 440W gaming (extra in screen and GPU) speakers extra

If oc'ed to 3.0

- 400W folding (screen off)
- 530w gaming (extra in screen and GPU) speakers extra

Personally I'd go with a more effecient PSU - all are 80plus

Enermax Liberty 620W
Enermax Infiniti 650W
Seasonic S12 Energy+ 650W
FSP Sparkle FX700-GLN
Tagan TG700-U25 700W

Last edited:
Soldato
Hell's bells and buckets of blood!

I tried overclocking my E6600 today and so far it would appear I have a crap chip as I can't even get it stable at 3GHz :(

Made a thread here if anyone wants to help out: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17717838

I will be installing Ubuntu later, assuming I don't get too caught up with my overclocking efforts, so I should at least be putting my C2D to use regardless of its speed.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
SiriusB said:
Hell's bells and buckets of blood!

I tried overclocking my E6600 today and so far it would appear I have a crap chip as I can't even get it stable at 3GHz :(

Made a thread here if anyone wants to help out: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17717838

I will be installing Ubuntu later, assuming I don't get too caught up with my overclocking efforts, so I should at least be putting my C2D to use regardless of its speed.

Try the RAM timings on auto. The timings are crap but it was the only way I could get my P5WDH to work with that Geil RAM - I think it occasionally has a problem with Asus boards.

Stan :)

Soldato
Just trying the RAM one stick at a time to see if it is iffy RAM. Had no idea the GeIL may have issues on an Asus board so will try all the settings on Auto if this stick of RAM craps out too.

Man of Honour
Grr. One of my Borgs rebooted itself without warning 12th April, not only in the middle of a WU (which it killed), but also in the middle of a download that'll take a month (which it also killed). TYVM Windows Update. :mad:

The very last thing I expected was Windows Update rebooting a Windows Enterprise Server. I guess Microsoft don't care about unexpected downtime then. :mad: (again)

Man of Honour
Berserker said:
There is, and it's done, but after the horse had left the building.
Work stuff. Over a shared T1. It'd be quicker to fly the PC over to me, copy the files, and fly it back. I wish we'd have thought about this a month ago as we did exactly that with the PC opposite this one.

Soldato
Had to remove smp from my laptop, battery isn't stunning on the xps but today i was using it during class, by the end of the 1 hour physics lesson it had lost 90% of its power! :eek: (mpiexec.exe) this thing usually lasts around 3 hours with a bit of tweaking now my battery's wear is starting to show its face. :(
Not to mention i seem to be getting wu's on this machine that are far too big, gone from 1 day to 5 to do a wu :confused: (same on my x2)
pentium d still pulling perfectly fine with ~1400ppd with wsmp on server2k3enterprise

Berserker, unlucky about your cut download (and wu) hope you can find an easy solution to the problem :)

MGP

MGP

Soldato
It's not worth trying to run any DC stuff on a battery powered lappy - I set the battery options in folding to the default don't run on battery. Just plug in to the mains whenever practical.

Associate
lay-z-boy said:
Had to remove smp from my laptop, battery isn't stunning on the xps but today i was using it during class, by the end of the 1 hour physics lesson it had lost 90% of its power! :eek: (mpiexec.exe) this thing usually lasts around 3 hours with a bit of tweaking now my battery's wear is starting to show its face. :(
Not to mention i seem to be getting wu's on this machine that are far too big, gone from 1 day to 5 to do a wu :confused: (same on my x2)
pentium d still pulling perfectly fine with ~1400ppd with wsmp on server2k3enterprise

Berserker, unlucky about your cut download (and wu) hope you can find an easy solution to the problem :)

I have an xps whats your setup, are you running the smp client?

Back
Top Bottom