Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 5th April 2007

Soldato
MGP said:
It's not worth trying to run any DC stuff on a battery powered lappy - I set the battery options in folding to the default don't run on battery. Just plug in to the mains whenever practical.

a) the option does not function correctly
b) it was the mpiexec process not the actual folding process

I have an xps whats your setup, are you running the smp client?

t2600 oc'd
2gb
7950gtx oc'd
120gb
etc.etc.etc....
and yup, i was

Soldato
Had some success with my overclocking venture today! So far my E6600 has passed several hours of Orthos at ~3.2GHz. Tried 3.4GHz but it bummed out after an hour or so. I have the vCore up to almost 1.4V but I am not happy to go higher as temps at 3.4GHz were reaching 60C which I believe is a bit toasty. I have managed to boot at 3.8GHz but it blue screens long before I can get a screenie :(

I think I will try 3.3 and if that doesnt work settle with 3.2GHz. To be honest the Scythe Ninja's fan spins just a bit too slowly. I may invest in a new 120mm fan that spins faster. I'm sure I can get one that is almost silent at around 2k RPM [my AC Freezer 64 Pro was virtually silent at 2K RPM and that was a smaller fan].

On the whole I am quite impressed with my E6600 and I can't wait to get some money together for a custom H20 setup. Should get this baby flying.

As for Ubuntu that has been put on hold until I am 100% happy with my overclock - don't want to waste my time or WUs with EUEs etc. Unfortunately this means I may well be overtaken by some people, but you all bare in mind it wont last! :eek:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Good news Sirius :)

Right, a couple of things.

Firstly: I decided to boost Bigstan2's output a bit by running a second client on the Quad which boosted ppd from about 2700 to 3300 - all good. Only thing is, I've just noticed that I signed the second client up to Bigstan instead of Bigstan2 :rolleyes: so I've effectively killed off Bigstan2's chances of topping the single crunchers league. As a result, Bigstan2 has been retired and all production has been switched to Bigstan. I will just be running the one client when I'm at home because it's getting a steady stream of 1440 point WUs which have a 24 hour deadline; it can do the two WUs in 22 1/2 hours but this leaves me very little headroom and with this being my gaming rig, I can't get any gaming done. It'll do one WU in 13 hours or so which gives me plenty of headroom for gaming.

Secondly: I've only had one P2604 on the quad, the rest have been the 1440 pointers (P3036, P3037 and P3043). I'm not getting these on my other Linux SMP rigs, they're all getting P2604s and P2605s. Can anyone tell me, are the 1440 pointers only given to quad rigs due to the deadline or is there another reason for this?

Stan :)

Soldato
Nice work guys!

Stan, I'm not sure about the 1440-pointers specifically, but I've had some of the other WUs with the 24-hour deadline on my dual-core system under VMWare. They're mainly the smaller ones, though (500-600pts).

Sirius, was that 60C in TAT/Coretemp or something else?

Soldato
I was getting 57C on one core and 59 on the other as reported by TAT.

I could attempt bumping the vDIMM up by 0.1v to 2.2v and see what happens, but the RAM is rated at 800MHz and is only at approx 760MHz so I am not sure it will do me much good.

Unless I am missing something I don't think I can get any more stability out of the chip without increasing the vCore and I am reluctant to do that. Perhaps with a better fan, but for the moment I am happy to leave it at 3.2 or 3.3GHz.

Soldato
Yeah, 2.1 should be enough on the RAM. You're not gonna be chipset-limited as you have a 6600, so it looks like you've found a limit of the CPU. My 6300's pretty similar - goes to 3.15 at about 1.4v but anything further needs loooads of volts. TAT reports mine at 66-68C, but I hate audible fans so I'm a bit sadistic when it comes to CPU cooling :D

Soldato
68C :eek:

Momma get the bacon ready! :p

I have heard good things about Noctua 120mm fans so I may get one and see how much of an improvement there is on temps. If low enough then I will push the chip further. Still, 3.2GHz is still pretty good I think for a virtually silent air-cooled PC :)

Soldato
The Noctua and your ninja will make a good pairing - as the fan works best with wider spaced HS fins. Might want to make your case slightly pressurised (more in that out) should help with the way the Noctua works (different to most pc fans - lower speed/sharper fan angle)

your might want to try just a single 120mm in (low level at front) and Nuctua pointing up (into PSU), might be all you need.

If not - then the standard front to back should work fine - but be carefull of air turbulance if placing a normal extract fan behind ninja, it may reduce Noctua efficiency.

Soldato
Well at the moment I have 1 120mm intake at the front, 2 120mm fans at the back and a smaller 60 ish mm fan at the top...

Pressurised theory out the window methinks :p

Also, my PSU is at the bottom.

Maybe the noctua isn't the best idea anymore!

On the plus side, my 3.3Ghz OC has survived 4 hours of Orthos Prime and 12 hours of Orthos Gromacs.

Going to install Ubuntu today and see how it handles the SMP clients :)

Soldato
Psu at the bottom eh... That does reduce the effectiveness of a stack flow (heat rises you know ;) )

Is the Psu in own compartment? Is it a in-at-top out-at-back or a in-front-out back jobby? :D

Oh just spec me your pc (inc fan volts) - or point me at a post where you already have. But I think you could lose a least one of not two fan and not increase temps.

Or better still visit the case central part of the fourm, they sort you out no problem and someone will undoutable have your case :D

Soldato
The case is a CoolerMaster Stacker 810 and the PSU draws air from a grill in the bottom and spits it out the back. Or the other way around... never actually checked :p

The case has 4 fans:

1 x 120mm front intake [this also draws air directly over the hard disks]
2 x 120mm rear outake
1 x 60mm top outake

All fans have been 7v modded so they are nice and quiet :D

Rest of spec in sig :)

Soldato
Last questions - spec of x1900xt as it's bound to affect airflow and how close to the HDD is it?

Edit: ignore that - Ok you've got the second edition of that case, and the PSU intake is through the base of the case.

I'd move the hdd cage fan as high as possable (above the Gpu) and remove the top fan. Due to double outake, don't get a Noctua it will be a waste, unless you buy three of them ;)

Personally I'd cover all the side vents too - but that's up to you.
there's a few specific 'stacker 810' thread if you use the forum search tool.

Edit: their is a second option to have all the fans as intakes (with dust grill) - venting out via large side grill - but not really suited to a tower cooler.

- on the subjest of dust grill - get your self some old tights :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately I doubt I can move the HDD module any higher because, for the time being, I am limited by the length of the IDE cable!

I am going to buy a new SATA HDD but until I have the money the module can't be moved.

I can remove the top exhaust fan easily enough. As for the side vent it is pretty damn big [300mm in diameter to be precise] so covering it might be a problem. I intend to mod the case and put a window in so the vent will have to wait!

If the Noctua fans are no good, do you recommend any other 120mm fan I can replace the one on the scythe with?

Soldato
SiriusB said:
Unfortunately I doubt I can move the HDD module any higher because, for the time being, I am limited by the length of the IDE cable!

I'm sure I can help you there ;) do you need a slave/master ide or just a master. I've two long masters (rounded) and a long slave/master.
Just checked the Asus site so you've only one ide port s&m it is then :D
E-mail in trust

SiriusB said:
If the Noctua fans are no good, do you recommend any other 120mm fan I can replace the one on the scythe with?

Don't get me wrong nuctua fan are very good, but just not right here. scythe do a really quite fan - just not the one the comes with the ninja :( - I use spcr for my quiet recomendations.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the IDE offer mate but honestly it isn't needed. In a week or two I will be getting a new HDD so I will be able to move the HDD module. If I were to take your IDE cable I would just be left with yet another cable in my odds and sods drawer lol.

I will have a nosey around Silent PC and see what people recommend.

I doubt it will be long before I go H20 anyway so I am not too obsessed with getting every last drop out of my air cooling. I was this close to ordering the H20 stuff with my upgrade. I only decided against it as I needed the money for other things.

Soldato
I installed Ubuntu earlier to find that it doesn't like the LAN ports on my P5B Deluxe :(

Will run the WinSMP client for now I think as I am picking up CnC3 tomorrow :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Just signed on with the OcUK team, Username: DJLOREY (same as PSN ID) :)

Back
Top Bottom