10 _Berserker_   1,421 681,893      0   0 --
11 rich99million 1,436 663,144 18,749 -15 08.13.10, 6pm / 3.4 Years
See you in August 2010. Or not. :D
Haha - look someone's overcompensated now ;) :D

Code:
10  _Berserker_  1,619  1,385  	0  	4,106  	683,278  	2,279
11 rich99million 1,261 	353 	0 	2,429 	663,683 	3,833
:p

My output is going to be up and down for the next few days at least until all the 0 days have been worked through - it should steady out after that

Soldato
SiriusB said:
I run 2 SMP clients on my 4400+. So conceivably 4 clients on a quad-core is possible. Although saying that running 2 on my system is only possible because just one client never takes a full 100% so overall I get slightly better PPD with two clients than just one.

I don't know if the same is true for a quad core, since strictly speaking the SMP client is meant only for 4 cores.

Do you get any problems with running two SMP clients? Are they getting close to the deadlines before dumping?

Got a single SMP running on my rig in the sig and it does about 2.5%/hr and I was wonering if doing what you might squeeze a bit more juice out of my rig.

Soldato
check your deadlines (at the end it tells you how long you had left on that WU)
if its over 0.7 or somthing (ie you had more than 50% of the time left) then it may work.
bear in mind that these WUs use LOADS of ram, so may slow down quite a bit if you don't have more than 1Gb

Soldato
Prepare yourself for strange logic.

I found that a single SMP client on my machine never reached 100% CPU utiliisation. Sometimes it could be as low as 80%. Which means that anywhere between 5 and 20% of my CPU wasn't being used.

So, I wacked another SMP client on there and now enjoy a slightly higher PPD than I would with a single client.

The reason being is that with two WUs running they both use 50% of my CPUs power. Not just 40% if you could somehow half the requirements of the SMP client. So as you can see I can get up to 20% more output if I have two WUs running.

Understand? :p

As said though it does eat lots of RAM. The clients are currently using over 450MB of RAM between them.

Man of Honour
I'd also keep a close eye on the deadlines while doing this. If it drops below about 35% or 51%, depending on the project, of time remaining to deadline, then Stanford might start moaning at you.

My Mac Mini was regularly hitting 50% and sometimes 49% which wasn't so clever, but the deadlines have been tweaked since then.

Last edited:
Soldato
SiriusB said:
Prepare yourself for strange logic.

I found that a single SMP client on my machine never reached 100% CPU utiliisation. Sometimes it could be as low as 80%. Which means that anywhere between 5 and 20% of my CPU wasn't being used.

So, I wacked another SMP client on there and now enjoy a slightly higher PPD than I would with a single client.

The reason being is that with two WUs running they both use 50% of my CPUs power. Not just 40% if you could somehow half the requirements of the SMP client. So as you can see I can get up to 20% more output if I have two WUs running.

Understand? :p

As said though it does eat lots of RAM. The clients are currently using over 450MB of RAM between them.

To get two clients running do you just create a copy in another folder? and run it.

What about on a mac?

Soldato
Afraid in a couple of weeks I'm going to have to stop folding for a short time, I am in the process of selling our house and in the normal de clutter stage my pc room now has a double bed in it and no desk ! The pc is monitor less in our spare room and I've been using it by remote desktop from my laptop but her indoors wants it put away completly.

On the plus side in preperation for our new house and hopefully home cinema room, I will be building a media PC which won't be folding (going to under volt so I can keep fan noise down) however the plan is to take out the E6600 out my current main pc for the media pc and then drop in a Q6600 if these price drops we are promised happen, should be good to see what a quad core can do with folding. Would be hoping to hit over 20k a week.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Stelly said:
Can I please be added to the single crunchers, but I have a multi core Linux PC :)

Stelly
Yep no problem - I'll add you tomorrow before I do the news, I had seen your request in the other thread but I tend not to reply until I've done all the updates before the news :)

Don
rich99million said:
Yep no problem - I'll add you tomorrow before I do the news, I had seen your request in the other thread but I tend not to reply until I've done all the updates before the news :)

Ok thansk Rich... I'm going to add you to msn if you dont mind??

Stelly

Back
Top Bottom