Food you remember from the 80s

Proper sized monster munch, not the fun sized version you see nowadays.

The same thing seems to have happened to a lot of the modern day versions of snacks.

Heinz Chicken & Mushroom Toast Toppers! My dad worked at Heinz in Park Royal, London so as a child I used to get tons of the stuff for free and it was godly until they ruined the recipe decades later. You can find tins in the odd european store here and there but they just aren't the same.
I'd totally forgotten about toast toppers. They were quite tasty.

Heinz Chicken & Mushroom Toast Toppers! My dad worked at Heinz in Park Royal, London so as a child I used to get tons of the stuff for free and it was godly until they ruined the recipe decades later. You can find tins in the odd european store here and there but they just aren't the same.

another one I'd forgotten about!

drools....

I remember Toast toppers, its like babyfood you grill.

The bacon one was horrible though

Bear Grylls would be proud of you :D

And yeh, i forgot they used to come in those tiny little cans - fond memories.
:D Grills back then would take forever to heat up so one day I figured "why bother" and just ate the contents of the can direct. It wasn't that bad!

In addition I remember Cereal packets that had decent plastic toys or sticker packs in them being the best thing in the world. I'd force my mum to buy me Sugar Puffs and rush home in order to open the box and look around the transparent pack for said toy. I recall at one point we had 7+ packs of Sugar Puffs and Rice Crispies.

I also recall some nutritous milkshake thing called YoPlan or Corplan that my mother used to drink. She hated it but I loved the thick choco flavour. It was like some uber version of Ovaltine :o

Also, Walker's savoury cheese flavour snaps. I saw the tomato flavour (though they've change the recipe).

were they white chocolate ? i remember white candy cigarettes they were red on one end even came in a little box to replicate a packet of cigs, the days before political correctness :p
I think the ones he's talking about came in fake cigarette packaging, too, but were an horrendous cheap milk chocolate covered in paper. I'm still not sure whether the paper was edible.

In addition I remember Cereal packets that had decent plastic toys or sticker packs in them being the best thing in the world. I'd force my mum to buy me Sugar Puffs and rush home in order to open the box and look around the transparent pack for said toy. I recall at one point we had 7+ packs of Sugar Puffs and Rice Crispies.

Ah, you needed to be clever to collect that stuff.

I only chose cereal based on the freebies , Doctor Who and Ready Brek or Weetabix springs to mind but cba to google that.

The number of times i walked to school emptying pocket fulls of cereal into a hedge :D

Sorry Mum, if you are reading this

Back
Top Bottom