Food you remember from the 80s

Philistine! The real stuff comes in a packet, you ignore the guidelines and you use two packets for the quantity of milk they state for one packet. Pour it into mugs, leave it for 10mins in the fridge and eat with a tea spoon.

That's the version I pictured. Don't think I ever saw it in pots unless this is a recent thing?

I still see Cherry Drops in shops, but I swear they used to do Rum Drops as well?

Who cares?
Find yourself a South African food shop (online, if you have to) and get some of their Moirs puddings... they're the same idea as Angel Delight, but miles better than even the originals!!!!!! :D

Part of my partners family is from South Africa. I might have to hit them up. :D

One food I always remember from the 80’s is Birds eye potato waffles. My mum served them up all the time. This was in a era when chips were still fried 90% of the time, so I think parents just thought of them as a healthier alternative. Had them again a while ago. They’re not very nice tbh. Don’t know if the recipes changed.

I used to love them, especially with beans and fish fingers but they are definitely a shadow of their former glory. They either turn out soft or greasy but never that lovely slightly crisp fluffy way I remember :(.

I used to love them, especially with beans and fish fingers but they are definitely a shadow of their former glory. They either turn out soft or greasy but never that lovely slightly crisp fluffy way I remember :(.
Without meaning to sound like a complete man child, if you want that crispy fluffy texture now, you’re better off with McCain smilies, or alphabites (if you can find them).

If they're posting it, chances are the SA PO will nick it.
If they're bringing it with them, they may get done at Customs.
Quicker, easier and probably cheaper: https://www.southafricanshop.co.uk/store/show_category/2157

Besides, if you ask them, they'll probably insist you learn how to make Koeksisters and Melktert instead... which would only be a good thing, anyway! ;)

I'm the other way around, although the wife prefers lamb.
Both are fantastic and essential for the barbecue, though!
Find pork chops and steaks a bit dry. Yes, I know it’s the quality of meat and how you cook them, there just seems to be very little margin of error with pork.

Half the stuff mentioned here you can still readily get. Obviously folk just don't look or miss out entire aisles in the supermarket. :p

We already get that nothing is made to the same recipe anymore but such is life.

Push Pops but I think that was early 90's.

I don't think I ever even had one, but I still find myself saying "don't push me, push a push pop" if I get shoved by a friend for some reason.

On a similar subject, do they still do those whistle lollies you used to get?

I take the kids down Mr Simms every few weeks for a treat and regularly get 100g of Cola Kubes or pretty much anything else sweet related mentioned in this thread. Most of the stuff tastes pretty much the same. :p

A proper bar of Highland Toffee the width of your mouth which could (and did) pull teeth or the bar could also be used to remove an eye if you pulled the bar out with your mouth close and got the razor sharp thin bits at the edge stretched out 3-4 in.

The modern bar is this thin, narrow, fudge coloured abomination unworthy of the name!

Not sure if there were about in the 80s, but certainly first half of the 90s

Brannigans beef and mustard crisps. I found them in Poundland 2 or 3 years ago, after not seeing them for years, but they've gone from there now too.

B&M and Heron Foods sell them in multi packs of 5 for 90p-£1. Best crisps ever.

There used to be a load of butchers round here that cooked their own pork pies -They were heaven - all gone now.

Birds Eye ready meals in foil tray - the beef had flourescent stripes on it -soggy mash potatoes - things that looked like peas - Awful

Prawn flavoured crisps that smelt like a unwashed minge. Yuk!

There used to be a load of butchers round here that cooked their own pork pies -They were heaven - all gone now.

Birds Eye ready meals in foil tray - the beef had flourescent stripes on it -soggy mash potatoes - things that looked like peas - Awful

Prawn flavoured crisps that smelt like a unwashed minge. Yuk!
Nan used to love a Findus lasagne. Wasn’t they the ones that they found horse meat in?

Who remembers boil in the bag curry’s? Usually complete with sultanas!

Without meaning to sound like a complete man child, if you want that crispy fluffy texture now, you’re better off with McCain smilies, or alphabites (if you can find them).

Forget the manchild nonsense :D. I used to cook the smilies all the the time when my daughter was younger but I'm sure my wife and I ate them more often, not sure why I don't buy them any more.

Hmmm, shopping tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom