Football and the Coronavirus

Man of Honour
OP
Then you’ll have the argument that not all players are equal. An example being Zaha’s importance to Palace, etc.

Ultimately though there are always going to be serious flaws, but if they want to try and play out the season, these will have to be accepted. I can see so many potential complications...

Soldato
I'm happy for the league to resume as long as Liverpool play the rest of the season with under 14's squad to protect the best team in the world. Kids don't really spread it, just ask the teachers.

It's not a problem is it as they've already won the league.

Don
Then you’ll have the argument that not all players are equal. An example being Zaha’s importance to Palace, etc.

Ultimately though there are always going to be serious flaws, but if they want to try and play out the season, these will have to be accepted. I can see so many potential complications...
In terms of players not all being equal, is there any logical reason why this argument would be any different than with regular injuries? It would be bad luck for Palace if Zaha was unavailable, just like it would have been had he broke his leg. As you say, if you agree to restarting during the pandemic then you're accepting that a player could be unavailable due to a positive test. Will it be 100% fair? No but we're kidding ourselves if we think football is 100% fair and equal now anyway.

Pandemic or no pandemic, is it fair on Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich and West Ham that Liverpool are likely to have nothing to play for by the time they play Brighton & Villa, having played us when we were chasing the title? No. Is it fair on Utd that our game with Chelsea will have nothing riding on it? No, just like it's not fair that one side will play Liverpool or City 3 days before/after a CL game and another side will play them when they've had 7 days rest or one team has to play Spurs with Kane available and others with Kane injured.

Caporegime
It's quite worrying the number of football "fans" I've seen and heard who think the fairest decision would just be to void the season entirely and that there would be little to no consequences in doing so or long term impact.

The season being played out is looking more and more unlikely but to scrap what we've already seen would ruin the sport for me, regardless of who was sitting top.

Man of Honour
OP
In terms of players not all being equal, is there any logical reason why this argument would be any different than with regular injuries? It would be bad luck for Palace if Zaha was unavailable, just like it would have been had he broke his leg. As you say, if you agree to restarting during the pandemic then you're accepting that a player could be unavailable due to a positive test. Will it be 100% fair? No but we're kidding ourselves if we think football is 100% fair and equal now anyway.

Pandemic or no pandemic, is it fair on Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich and West Ham that Liverpool are likely to have nothing to play for by the time they play Brighton & Villa, having played us when we were chasing the title? No. Is it fair on Utd that our game with Chelsea will have nothing riding on it? No, just like it's not fair that one side will play Liverpool or City 3 days before/after a CL game and another side will play them when they've had 7 days rest or one team has to play Spurs with Kane available and others with Kane injured.

I understand that of course, there's always unfair factors involved and a degree of luck. I suppose my wider point is there are mounting problems that look likely to make project restart close to impossible. But we'll see.

Soldato
The Premier league and championship will go the way of league’s 1&2 placings decided on a PPG basis, the PL will drag it on until the last possible minute but it’s the only chance of getting it finished

Don
I understand that of course, there's always unfair factors involved and a degree of luck. I suppose my wider point is there are mounting problems that look likely to make project restart close to impossible. But we'll see.
These problems will only insurmountable if people want them to be, whether that be safety reasons or sporting integrity.

Countless other industries are already open or will be opening in the coming weeks with little to no safety protocols and testing. The key will be whether all the testing and safety protocols that the PL can afford to put in place will cancel out the risks of playing a contact sport. If it does then failing to return on health and safety grounds, if and when the government deem it's safe to return, when Joe Public is told he has to go back to work or lose his job won't paint the PL in a good light. It would almost be like saying that the health of a PL player is more important than yours or mine.

Football is never 100% fair and the situation with neutral venues will make that worse but if there's the will then compromises can be made and need to be made. Brighton, West Ham and Watford looking for an excuse to guarantee they don't get relegated shouldn't be a good enough reason for 1000s of people to lose their jobs and £bn's to be lost. This isn't dramatic either. The EFL are warning players to expect pay cuts and prepare for unemployment and Rick Parry was directly asked about the PL bailing out the EFL, his answer was "The Premier League has said if they're allowed to play then they will be in a position to talk to us about support for the lower leagues."

Soldato
It's worth noting that two of the three Brighton players who tested positive did so earlier in the pandemic, the various outlets aren't making that clear because they're trying to generate clicks. What's really happened is that a single Brighton players has tested positive recently. As long as proper protocols are followed (i.e. players being tested before they have contact with their teammates and not interacting with each other outside training/games) then there's no reason why they should pass it to each other.

Yes, there are still significant complications to bringing the season back - the main one being whether all grounds are going to be used or whether only a selection will be - but in theory a player getting Coronavirus doesn't have to be that different to a player being unavailable through injury. It only becomes a problem if clubs or players breach protocol. I'm still torn as to whether the season should resume, but it's definitely workable if there's a desire from 14 clubs to do so.

Don
It's incredibly how many times it has to be said before people realise that scrapped or void is not an option. Whether titles are given out or promotions & relegations go ahead remain to be seen but it's been widely reported that they will and the FA will use their veto if the PL try to block them.

The idea that a Brighton player testing positive will be the reason for the season not restarting is incredibly naive too. The Bundesliga had 10(?) positive tests and a Bundesliga 2 side is in quarantine for 14 days and they're still going ahead. It will take a lot more than 1 positive test for the season not to restart, assuming the League can resolve the neutral ground situation. Obviously that's not to say things won't get worse but Germany have, touch wood, shown that with regular testing you can isolate positive players and not infect other members of the squad.

Maybe a compromise on the neutral stadium front could be reached, allowing the bottom 6 clubs to play their home games at their own stadiums, providing they get the safety green light. IINM the biggest objection from a police point of view is not having the resources to police all 20 grounds so as long as the total number of grounds that are used is still in the 8-10 range then maybe that's possible.

Caporegime
It's incredibly how many times it has to be said before people realise that scrapped or void is not an option. Whether titles are given out or promotions & relegations go ahead remain to be seen but it's been widely reported that they will and the FA will use their veto if the PL try to block them.

The idea that a Brighton player testing positive will be the reason for the season not restarting is incredibly naive too. The Bundesliga had 10(?) positive tests and a Bundesliga 2 side is in quarantine for 14 days and they're still going ahead. It will take a lot more than 1 positive test for the season not to restart, assuming the League can resolve the neutral ground situation. Obviously that's not to say things won't get worse but Germany have, touch wood, shown that with regular testing you can isolate positive players and not infect other members of the squad.

Maybe a compromise on the neutral stadium front could be reached, allowing the bottom 6 clubs to play their home games at their own stadiums, providing they get the safety green light. IINM the biggest objection from a police point of view is not having the resources to police all 20 grounds so as long as the total number of grounds that are used is still in the 8-10 range then maybe that's possible.
Why do we have to be like Germany? They’re having a second spike in cases through easing lockdown too soon. Maybe they’re the ones in the wrong when it comes to restarting.

You seem obsessed with us following Germany.

Don
Why do we have to be like Germany? They’re having a second spike in cases through easing lockdown too soon. Maybe they’re the ones in the wrong when it comes to restarting.

Can you show me where I've said we should follow Germany and where football clubs returning to training has caused an increase in infections in Germany?

You seem to lack the ability to understand the difference between what is likely to happen (or what's being reported) and what I believe should happen. If you had that ability or simply the ability to read you will see that I've said, on more than one occasion, that football should only return if it's at least as safe as other industries that are deemed safe to return. Just so it's clear and so you don't get confused again, that's what I think should happen. There's then what will happen, or at least what's being reported will happen, and that's that the League (Leagues if you include Germany and Spain) will not be halted by individual positive tests.

Soldato

Baz just wants the season finished so nobody can take the **** that Liverpool didn’t really win the league :p:p:p:D:D

Caporegime
It's worth noting that two of the three Brighton players who tested positive did so earlier in the pandemic, the various outlets aren't making that clear because they're trying to generate clicks.

If they have any sort of lung damage or short term fitness problems though it's still relevant. Imagine you're a young footballer do you really want to risk a potentially career threatening virus just for the sake of finishing a season that will likely now always be tainted anyway? about the only thing we can be sure of is Liverpool winning the title and Norwich being relegated but neither were mathematically certain.

For me the season was over the moment they suspended it all of these great ideas they're coming out with now to finish it they should have tried to implement immediately at least then you could argue that fitness, form and time hadn't had any impact on the remaining games. Too much time has passed now just call it and move onto next season.

Soldato
If they have any sort of lung damage or short term fitness problems though it's still relevant. Imagine you're a young footballer do you really want to risk a potentially career threatening virus just for the sake of finishing a season that will likely now always be tainted anyway? about the only thing we can be sure of is Liverpool winning the title and Norwich being relegated but neither were mathematically certain.

For me the season was over the moment they suspended it all of these great ideas they're coming out with now to finish it they should have tried to implement immediately at least then you could argue that fitness, form and time hadn't had any impact on the remaining games. Too much time has passed now just call it and move onto next season.
This I totally agree with

Back
Top Bottom