Football and the Coronavirus

Don
PMSL, my bet is safe as houses
I honestly believe you'll be surprised. The spotlight is on and clubs will do all they can, as will supporters groups, to make sure crowds don't gather. You're very likely to find some sort of exclusion zone around stadiums and in Liverpool's case (or a side that may avoid relegation on the final day etc) they'll no doubt bring in extra stewarding and police on the day of the title win to ensure it doesn't happen.

I've no doubt that there will be some idiots that try their luck - as Rob said, you only had to look at the queues outside McDonalds before they shut or even walk past any park or high street now and you'll see people that just don't care. But it won't be 1000s.

Soldato
Anyway, getting this thread back on topic:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-risk-players-spreading-coronavirus-football/

Research has been carried out in Denmark regarding just how close players come to each other during a match. It found that at elite level, players only come into an infectious distance of each other for an average of 88 seconds per match, including time spent celebrating goals.
That’s a massive surprise TBH I thought it would have been a lot more

Don
It surprised me too but when you think about it, it probably is about right. In general play, players are rarely within a couple of meters of each other. You then have tackles & aerial duels - how often is a player involved in a tackle or aerial duel each game? Maybe 5 or 6 times on average? Players are probably up and separated within a couple of seconds of each challenge too. I'd imagine that a large chunk of that 88 second average comes from corners and set-plays in and around the area.

Soldato
PMSL that’s probably one of the funniest comments on here for a while

Why is it? Weve known this has been on the cards for months and whilst any Liverpool fan i know will be happy with the title its certainly not going to celebrated as it usually would be. Youre using a wrong example from 13 years ago when there wasnt a global pandemic.

Soldato
Anyway, getting this thread back on topic:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-risk-players-spreading-coronavirus-football/

Research has been carried out in Denmark regarding just how close players come to each other during a match. It found that at elite level, players only come into an infectious distance of each other for an average of 88 seconds per match, including time spent celebrating goals.

Time the average corner, setting-up, faffing around etc. Then time a penalty with everyone lined up on the box, ditto adjusting a wall during a free kick. I hear 88 seconds and I call bull-crap.

Don
Time the average corner, setting-up, faffing around etc. Then time a penalty with everyone lined up on the box, ditto adjusting a wall during a free kick. I hear 88 seconds and I call bull-crap.
It surprised me but reportedly there's a separate study being carried out in England that has found similar results. You can always carry out your own and report your findings. It shouldn't be difficult for clubs to do this themselves as they have all the data of player movements throughout the game already.

Don
The bottom sides arguments are getting more desperate. At the start of the crisis the bottom sides were pushing the idea of not relegating anybody but promoting the top 2 from the Championship, now it's this :o

Whether the Championship finishes or not, if you finish in the bottom 3 you deserve to be relegated. If any sides get promoted and who they are has nothing to do with the sides relegated from the PL.

Back
Top Bottom