1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football and the Coronavirus

Discussion in 'The Football Stadium' started by Robbo, Mar 11, 2020.

1. BaZ87

Don

Sitution around contracts has been agreed between the clubs:
    https://www.premierleague.com/news/1667675?sf233954378=1

Clubs and players can, if they choose, extend contracts to the end of the season. That doesn't mean all contracts will be extended (although I suspect clubs will offer extensions in 99.9% of cases) but that clubs have agreed that this issue won't prevent the season ending.

2. woppy101

Mobster

I’m sure I heard on talkSPORT a few weeks ago that the majority of contacts had that written into it anyway

3. BaZ87

Don

There's a clause in player contracts but this is slightly different. From what I understand if a player is out of contract, hasn't been offered & rejected a new contract and not signed with somebody else then the clause requires clubs to pay them for a further 28 days. In this case there's no set end date so who knows how long these extensions will be (not likely to be much more than a month though) and deals can be extended even if players have agreed deals with other clubs for next season.

4. Stretch

Capodecina

Every cloud :p

5. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

They actually used to do that in the MLS back in the day.

6. robfosters

Caporegime

Pretty poor finishers back then weren’t they!

7. antijoke

Caporegime

8. The_One

Capodecina

9. BaZ87

Don

The government want it to happen, the vast majority of clubs, managers and players want it to happen. Unless the wider situation in the country doesn't improve at the rate that the plan requires or something goes wrong in Germany then it looks very likely that the League will restart.

10. antijoke

Caporegime

W H E N I T S S A F E

Stop being a Debbie a Downer, Liverpool are gonna get a title, time to accept it buttercup.

11. woppy101

Mobster

:p:p:p:p

12. ik9000

Gangster

and that would be bad because?

13. woppy101

Mobster

There’s Always one

14. ik9000

Gangster

and his name is Chris Carver...

15. ik9000

Gangster

and it wouldn't see Newcastle last. I would just get the four teams with a game in hand to do a shoot out to settle the two unplayed matches then call the season over. Everyone restarts in August. Job done.

16. el_dazza

Capodecina

League 1 and 2 have ended, promotion and relegation yet to be decided. League 2 teams have agreed to a points per game basis.

17. BaZ87

Don

Has it been confirmed whether it's standard PPG or weighted PPG to take into account the number of home and away games remaining?

18. el_dazza

Capodecina

BBC seems to suggest League 2 favour weighted PPG, League 1 are still trying to sort it out. Doesn't appear that anything is iron clad right now though.

19. BaZ87

Don

Like the PL, any decisions the League's take will need to be approved by the FA. I saw the news last night about League 1, with the clubs outside the play-off places threatening legal action if the League isn't completed.

Similar to the bottom 6's arguments in the PL, it appears that League 2 don't want to relegate anybody with the National League being voided. I can't remember if the National League situation was ever fully settled but if they did void their seasons then it's possible that League 2 could get away without relegations.

edit: the EFL board are reportedly favouring unweighted PPG, despite League 2 voting for weighted.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  20. mmj_uk

Capodecina

I don't understand the League 2 situation, Stevenage at the bottom are only 3pts adrift with a game in hand and 10 games left to play they would have to be mad to agree to any outcome that relegates them. Have they been given a guarantee that the National League won't have any promotion?