Football and the Coronavirus

Caporegime
Blame Blair & Brown. They relaxed gambling restrictions and gambling advertising laws inevitably got relaxed soon after.

funny how they did that and crippled the tobacco companies advertising that way, the way the betting companies flood everything with ads and the bet 365 ads right before kick off should be banned too. Gambling is destructive and shouldn’t be pushed so easily. Sorry for the OT rant

Don
They've not done it out of the goodness of their heart Rob. Football clubs might make less money without them but how many people are now struggling because of them? If people want to gamble then so be it but sports and sports clubs shouldn't be promoting it.

Caporegime
They've not done it out of the goodness of their heart Rob. Football clubs might make less money without them but how many people are now struggling because of them? If people want to gamble then so be it but sports and sports clubs shouldn't be promoting it.
Tricky subject, but I personally have no sympathy for people who can’t control themselves when it comes to gambling.

Don
The SPL has now officially ended their season with PPG being used to decide the table, including naming Celtic champions and relegating Hearts.

And over here the PL clubs are currently meeting to discuss and finalise phase 1 of training. Assuming that all goes through then teams will begin training in small groups (with no contact) tomorrow.

edit: I've just read that the SPL, like Ligue 1 and the Eredivisie, begin a new, more lucrative TV deal from next season. I'm not sure how big the increase is or what the rebate they'll have to pay for ending this season early but it's very possible that it's financially beneficial for these Leagues to begin next season ASAP rather than delay.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Football is still very much a working class sport, maybe not at the ownership level, but certainly with regards the players. In fact I'd say that people from more privileged backgrounds are often made to feel a bit odd in football. Graeme Le Saux got mocked for being 'posh' and I remember early on in his career people used to criticise Kaka's motivation versus his compatriots and rivals because he'd had a financially comfortable upbringing and hadn't had to battle his way out of slums like some Brazilian players.

If we were going to criticise any sport for elitism it would be golf or F1 that would immediately spring to mind, not football.

Haha yeah. If people think football is all about having money to get anywhere. You should watch F1! One guys dad bought an entire racing team so his son could race. I think that's why Lewis Hamilton is just on another tier because he actually came from a working class background whereas 80% of the F1 grid have super rich parents and very little pure tallent.

Soldato
Haha yeah. If people think football is all about having money to get anywhere. You should watch F1! One guys dad bought an entire racing team so his son could race. I think that's why Lewis Hamilton is just on another tier because he actually came from a working class background whereas 80% of the F1 grid have super rich parents and very little pure tallent.

Not like his Mum is Ron Dennis' cousin or anything ;)

Don
The PL have announced that all 20 clubs have agreed to return to phase 1 of training - groups of 5 players training together but with no contact.
The SPL have done the right thing. Ended the season, celtic champs, hearts relegated.

The Premier League should do the same.
Scottish football will be returning in mid July, potentially as little as 3 weeks after the PL are planning to resume. The decision by the SFL is not a health and safety decision - their squads will be returning to training and playing games very soon after the PL will be.

The decision that the SPL has taken is a financial decision and it was a much easier decision for the SPL to take than it is for the PL.

Assuming similar percentages to the PL, completing the SPL would have earned the SPL (all clubs, not individually) £2-3m in TV money - this wouldn't have even covered the costs of testing. Throw in the likelihood of delaying next season (where they have a new, bigger TV deal) and the penalty fees associated with that, it would probably have been 2 or 3 times more expensive to complete the season than end it and begin next season.

Don
With the PL's medical expert saying that these training protocols will have to remain in place for 6-12 months I assume Deeney won't be returning next season either and will not be getting paid.

Soldato
BREAKING NEWS: The FA and Premier League have both agreed that PL clubs will play at venues far from their fan bases to stop gathering outside the ground. Therefore, Man Utd will be playing at Old Trafford, and Liverpool will be playing at Anfield.

Soldato
BREAKING NEWS: The FA and Premier League have both agreed that PL clubs will play at venues far from their fan bases to stop gathering outside the ground. Therefore, Man Utd will be playing at Old Trafford, and Liverpool will be playing at Anfield.
You won crap joke of the day.

Back
Top Bottom