1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football and the Coronavirus

Discussion in 'The Football Stadium' started by Robbo, Mar 11, 2020.

1. BaZ87

Don

They'd have to win their game in hand by 9 goals to climb out of the relegation zone - whichever way they ended the season would have left them bottom. I think it's very likely that they will avoid relegation though.

The EFL need a net +1 teams to replace Bury. The National League only have 1 automatic promotion with the 2nd team having to play play-offs, however the National League has been voided. With no play-offs to decide the 2nd promoted team, the easy solution would be for Stevenage to stay up and the automatic promotion from the National League go ahead but not the 2nd promotion.

2. mmj_uk

Capodecina

They could easily overturn a 3pt deficit with 10 games left though, especially after a suspended season when form will go out of the window when it's restarted. I don't understand why they would vote to finish.

3. BaZ87

Don

They could, if they could afford to pay all their players for the next 3 months (including extending contracts for half their squad), pay for all the health and safety protocols and testing with no revenue. Unless individual owners of League 1 and 2 clubs can afford to cover the cost of completing the season (and many wouldn't be able to) then it can't happen. The season had to be ended and whichever method of ending the season was used, Stevenage would be bottom. I'm sure they agreed to it knowing that relegation was far from certain due to the National League already ending and little prospect of them determining who should take the 2nd promotion.

4. saddler

Hitman

Very simply cost. No League 2 team can afford to finish the season behind closed doors. Any other consideration is irrelevant at this level. The TV money higher up the league's this the only reason those clubs are in a position to even consider playing in empty stadiums.

5. BaZ87

Don

The Belgium League have now ratified their earlier decision to end their season and name Brugge champions. They've also decided to enforce relegations and put rules in place for next season. If a local authority bans a match from taking place then the home side has a choice of switching to a neutral venue or giving the away side a 3-0 win. They've also agreed that if next season is also cut short, the table as of the last game will be the final standings.

Evertonians are currently wetting themselves with excitement at the thought of Joe Anderson preventing all Liverpool games from going ahead.

6. robfosters

Caporegime

Feel sorry for my second team Charlton. Think they’re gonna end up going down without playing another game :(

7. el_dazza

Capodecina

BBC now reporting the Scottish Premier is ending, to be announced Monday. Celtic are champions, Hearts are down.

Not looking good for Villa based on that and decisions around Europe..

8. BaZ87

Don

Villa's best bet is the season restarting, getting a couple of early wins and then it getting called off.

9. Andybtsn

Don

Let's be honest, they were going down :p

10. robfosters

Caporegime

Maybe, but it’s nice to actually have the chance to escape it.

11. el_dazza

Capodecina

Well no, because we had 9 games left and with the direction of the wind combined with the fact that...

Yeah we were, don't really deserve to stay up tbh. I can't argue if the season gets called and we go down, shouldn't be poor enough to be in that position in the first place.

12. Andybtsn

Don

I was talking about Charlton hence quoting Rob you numpty, but yeah Villa were going down :p

13. el_dazza

Capodecina

I didn't even bloody see that, the hell is wrong with me?

Rhetorical, don't answer that :p

14. ik9000

Gangster

what does rhetorical mean?

15. Andybtsn

Don

When someone doesn't want an answer

16. Stumble Bum

Wise Guy

BUNDESLIGA IS BACK!!!!

Let's Gooooooooo

Dortmund Vs Schalke 14:30 the pick of the ties.

[​IMG]

17. explicit4u

Capodecina

Frankfurt VS Gladbach at 5:30 should be a decent game too.

18. The_One

Capodecina

Gonna be boring as hell with ZERO atmosphere

19. Derek W

Capodecina

I wouldn't worry, cos the players will let their football do the talking. And by extension create the atmosphere :o

Edit
    Right on cue, Owen hargreaves uses that exact phrase :D

20. Stretch

Capodecina

The restart in Germany was very successful imo.