For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nothing to do with hippy nonsense it's just facts. A healthy chicken is going to be better to eat than an emaciated artificially grown one. I'd rather have spots on my apples than "perfect" ones which are artificially grown and taste bland and have half the nutritional conent than they would normally have!

Do you really believe that apples have half the nutritional content of organically grown apples :eek:

Do you really believe that apples have half the nutritional content of organically grown apples :eek:

Well it was a figure of speech... but I can assure you that the fruits and veg that I eat in Cyprus (which are grown with no pesticides and just grow and keep growing and sprouting everywhere, as the ground is so rich of nutrients and so fertile you don't have to be an expert to grow things there!) tastes 100% better than any of the fruits and veg I eat here. Often fruit and veg are picked too early so that they can be transported for days to the supermarkets etc... If I had access to such equipment I'd love to run analysis on the stuff in cyprus vs the stuff that is grown here.

Fact is the more they can grow in one period the more they can sell, so if they can promote their stock to grow quicker then they can produce more per year and ergo increase their profits. I'm sure they're not bad for you, but I don't think they provide as many nutrients as a slow growing sun blossomed bit of fruit/veg. It's down to supply and demand, and if they can turn around their stock in a faster time then they will regardless of flavour/nutriontional content.

I hold a lot of the food we buy now days with suspicion and contempt.

Well it was a figure of speech... but I can assure you that the fruits and veg that I eat in Cyprus (which are grown with no pesticides and just grow and keep growing and sprouting everywhere, as the ground is so rich of nutrients and so fertile you don't have to be an expert to grow things there!) tastes 100% better than any of the fruits and veg I eat here. Often fruit and veg are picked too early so that they can be transported for days to the supermarkets etc... If I had access to such equipment I'd love to run analysis on the stuff in cyprus vs the stuff that is grown here.

Fact is the more they can grow in one period the more they can sell, so if they can promote their stock to grow quicker then they can produce more per year and ergo increase their profits. I'm sure they're not bad for you, but I don't think they provide as many nutrients as a slow growing sun blossomed bit of fruit/veg. It's down to supply and demand, and if they can turn around their stock in a faster time then they will regardless of flavour/nutriontional content.

I hold a lot of the food we buy now days with suspicion and contempt.

Well if you're talking about freshness, i agree, that can't be beaten! I travel to Asia a couple of times a year and i just love fresh Mangos, banana, young coconut, Papaya and local veggies etc :)

As far as i know though, there is no proof that organically grown fruit and veg is more nutritious than traditionally grown. Freshness, of course is a different matter.

Monday:

Back squats - the rack with l-brackets was in use so had to go at it without any "backup" which doesn't inspire confidence.

10x100kg
10x120kg
8x140kg
6x160kg
2x180kg (felt really shakey on the second one - and I know it's in my head because of lack of catching bars, so I didn't push it)
6x140kg
8x100kg

Split squats:

10x60kg
8x80kg
6x90kg
8x80kg
11x80kg (puke worthy almost)

SLDL:

8x100kg
8x100kg
10x100kg
7x100kg
8x100kg

Nearly died.

Leg extensions:

10xstack
10xstack
10xstack
8xstack
7xstack

I now cannot walk. I'm frustrated at the lack of a powercage, and more so that I couldn't use the safety rack with the catching brackets as I felt I had a few reps @180kg to give - but erring on the side of caution I didn't want to push 180kg with nothing to catch or inspire a bit of confidence. It felt strong and confident though.

The workout nearly killed me though. Hard work! Love it though! :D

I find my leg days always murder them regardless atm.....Might be because they aren't used to having to lift extra weight behind them?

I'm only doing squats and lunges with small weights, but still...Hopefully that's a good thing.

Split squats:

10x60kg
8x80kg
6x90kg
8x80kg
11x80kg (puke worthy almost)

LOL...ye..I started doing these 2 legs workouts ago on a smith machine with 60Kg...they ripped my hamstrings to bits. Was either that...or the 4 sets of SLDL right after (but its a good combo!) Its now Tusday and I still cant walk right from Saturday afternoon. Gona have to work on them. I had to look up Split Squats on google...I thought that was barbell lunges...just never heard of split squats before:rolleyes:

Had a nice chest and bicep session yesterday. First time into the triple figures on the bench and I'm SO happy you would not believe!!!!!

BB Flat Bench
12x60
8x80
12x80 - Felt good, kept going..
6x90
2x100 - I was only attempting a new 1RM after getting 6 easyish reps from 90, I couldn't belive how easy it went up so I did two... and there's more in the bank. WOOT :D 130kg target for the end of the year is hopefully well on its way!

Incline DB Press
12x25
8x30
8x30
4x30 (Total failure)

DB Peck Flys
12x15
10x17.5
10x17.5

BB Curls (Wide grip - curl bar)
15x20
12x30
12x40
10x45

BB Curls (Close grip - curl bar)
15x30
15x30
15x30

Hammer Curls
12x15
12x15

I went with two of my good mates from my course who've been training a lot longer than me, followed their regime and their advice helped me out quite a lot. I reckon I could squeeze out a rep on 110 on the bench if I really gave it some which is a considerable improvement over my 70kg starting point in June!

Split squats are basically a static lunge in a way, but you just go up and down rather than lunging forward. They are very hard especially after heavy squats. Followed by SLDLs they ain't easy - but it's all good! :D

I never do squats on a smith machine though as I don't like the ROM it offers.

Unfortunatley at my gym thats all we have to assist with squats. I find them considerably more difficult on the smith machine

Now I'm powercleaning, I can go heavier than the 45kilo BB, but these will be front squats which i've never tried before. Or I'll powerclean, and then get two spotters to help shift it from my front to back.

Any tips for front squats freefaller?

Just had to tell some people had a cracking session in the gym today been grinning like an idiot all the way home, got a PB of 62.5kg on the bench not great compaired to you guys but considering my 1RM was 70kg not long ago I'm really happy with it.
Plus I've not touched a drink in 2 weeks which is really helping with my mood and feel good factor.
I just feel dam good all round, do appologise for the random outburst of happiness :D

Split squats are basically a static lunge in a way, but you just go up and down rather than lunging forward. They are very hard especially after heavy squats. Followed by SLDLs they ain't easy - but it's all good! :D

So...Are they equal or better than lunges? I would have thought lunges use more effort so to speak.....However looking at split squats it's more 'direct'..?

Unfortunatley at my gym thats all we have to assist with squats. I find them considerably more difficult on the smith machine

Now I'm powercleaning, I can go heavier than the 45kilo BB, but these will be front squats which i've never tried before. Or I'll powerclean, and then get two spotters to help shift it from my front to back.

Any tips for front squats freefaller?

If you powerclean it just shoulder press it onto your back!!!! ;)

Front squats are fairly easy once you've got the technique right, and they make going ATG a lot easier.

2 grips. One is the clean grip, the other is the cross armed grip. Just choose the one you like and more comfortable with. It doesn't start hurting the shoulders/wrists till you get to 100kg+ but even then if you get the bar buried deep into your delts it won't hurt too much.

Keep your back straight, look up at a fixed point, and push straight up. Don't bend the back, keep your chest up and forward and keep the elbows high to stop the bar rolling forwards. Once you become super skilled you can do them with your arms straight out in front of you!! For better examples look 'em up on the net, but I'll see if I can record some for you at some point. :)

So...Are they equal or better than lunges? I would have thought lunges use more effort so to speak.....However looking at split squats it's more 'direct'..?

They are all different in their way and offer more/less the same - it's just good to mix up the movements, both require balance, both require technique and both absolutely kill you.

They are all different in their way and offer more/less the same - it's just good to mix up the movements, both require balance, both require technique and both absolutely kill you.

I see your point, so it would be best for me to do a few session say...doing lunges for three session (so three fridays on the trot)...then doing split squats after that for example?

Otherwise I presume your body gets too used to doing one excercise.

I'll need to start mixing up my days soon anyway, only so much you can do with barbell's. :(

Split squats should be a diagonal movement not just up and down.

Oh, i'm back to training after 4 weeks or so off. Strength is down a fair bit but i'm sure it'll be back in no time :D

I found that out yesterday evening for chest day not good, and I'm really sore from it, Christmas has put me back a few steps:(.

Last edited:
We're in the same boat then, it's a little frustrating but I know it'll come back quickly.

I've been doing a full body routine so i'm not actually that sore due to the lack of volume per body part. The only place I really felt it was my legs, they were BAAAAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom