For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid I disagree U_E, I believe you pay for decent food, and supermarkets source it cheaply and sell it cheaply because it is cheap to start with. I've done taste tests between supermarket chicken and a chicken a friend killed/hung and plucked himself from his farm, the difference was absolutely clear as day.

Whats taste got to do with eating? Id eat soiled panites if they got me bigger :D

Freefaller said:
Also a healthy happy animal = higher nutritional content of the meat. The quality of meat from my butcher vs the counter service at the supermarket is clear, purely from even looking at the meat, let alone tasting it.
I appreciate that the happier the animal in life the more painful its demise and thus the more suffering (which we all know is the prime contributer to flavour) was endured, But again i dont see what taste has to do with anything. Protein is protein.

freefaller said:
Then again I'm a food snob, and I thoroughly enjoy my cooking and good food, and I save mince and packaged meat from the supermarket for emergencies or for freezing. Don't get me wrong I eat it and I eat it several times a week, however a minimum of 3x a week I shall consume meat from the butcher/fishmonger.

im afraid you are :D i can be too, for example ill buy some top notch steak from the butchers now and then to enjoy with a nice bottle of something australian. But day to day i couldnt care if it died happy or died sad, tbh im not even bothered if its dead, so long as it bleeds and can be swallowed it'll do me fine!

The one thing about Tescos value chicken breast (frozen) is that it doesn't taste as good as fresh breast, but I don't know what that is down to. The 'added dextrose' or something else? I hesitate to speculate.

Most frozen things never taste quite as good as fresh due to the freezing effecting the cells within it, or it could just be a lower grade of chicken. The asda frozen stuff isnt bad and still packs 23g protein per 100g

Whats taste got to do with eating? Id eat soiled panites if they got me bigger :D

I appreciate that the happier the animal in life the more painful its demise and thus the more suffering (which we all know is the prime contributer to flavour) was endured, But again i dont see what taste has to do with anything. Protein is protein.

im afraid you are :D i can be too, for example ill buy some top notch steak from the butchers now and then to enjoy with a nice bottle of something australian. But day to day i couldnt care if it died happy or died sad, tbh im not even bothered if its dead, so long as it bleeds and can be swallowed it'll do me fine!

Taste is very important from a pscyho/imune repsonse and hormone releases in your body. Furthermore the happier better chickens/beef etc... will have a higher protein count per gramme than all the mass produced stuff which tends to be denatured as part of the processing process (tongue twister lol!). Ok we're talking 10% so all in all 4/5g maybe per 100g, but hey you said you wanted more protein per gramme, eat better quality foods.

I'm also a great believer that crap in = crap out. ie the nutritional content of the food will be affected and for me enjoying the food is more important than the quantity. I eat very well, but I eat high quality foods.

I don't care about being a snob about food, it's part of my upbringing - some people would be aghast at spending what I do on food, but for me the proof is in the results, and I think I'm a reasonable ambassador for healthy eating. :)

Taste is very important from a pscyho/imune repsonse and hormone releases in your body. Furthermore the happier better chickens/beef etc... will have a higher protein count per gramme than all the mass produced stuff which tends to be denatured as part of the processing process (tongue twister lol!). Ok we're talking 10% so all in all 4/5g maybe per 100g, but hey you said you wanted more protein per gramme, eat better quality foods.

I'm also a great believer that crap in = crap out. ie the nutritional content of the food will be affected and for me enjoying the food is more important than the quantity. I eat very well, but I eat high quality foods.

I don't care about being a snob about food, it's part of my upbringing - some people would be aghast at spending what I do on food, but for me the proof is in the results, and I think I'm a reasonable ambassador for healthy eating. :)

Fair enough, its like i always point out "i dont get excited over vitamins and minerals and i do ok" i think you and I come from different sides of the fence foodwise and in time it may be interesting to see the similarities/differences we show as a result.

Turkey is also a good source of selenium.

Another point to raise is good quality poultry is also generally higher in EFA/monounsaturated fats than intensively farmed variations. Duck is a good example of this.

Whilst budgetary concerns are a priority for many and do have a place, FF is right that quality food is unlikely to contain unlisted "ingredients" such as hormones and is also going to taste significantly better.

Overuse of seasoning and sauces in highly processed foods is more often there to hide poor texture and quality of food - ie you can get by with almost no seasoning on a good piece of meat.

Sunday:

T-Bars:

10x45kg+bar
10x60kg+bar
10x75kg+bar
8x90kg+bar
8x105kg+bar
5x120kg+bar

Powercleans:

6x60kg
6x80kg
6x80kg
6x90kg
5x100kg
2x110kg
4x90kg
6x60kg

Cable horizontal pull down:

10xstack
10xstack
10xstack
10xstack
10xstack

really slow eccentrics felt really good on the lats.

I did some arm work!!!! I know I still can't believe it!

Preacher curls:

10x27.5kg
8x37.5kg
8x37.5kg
5x47.5kg
11x27.5kg

Supersetted with - Hammer curls:

12x16kg

Single arm cable tricep pull down:

8x30kg
8x30kg
8x35kg
7x40kg
6x45kg

Supersetted with - dips:

8xbw
8xbw
8xbw
10xbw
12xbw

That's it! 80 min session, not bad desperately need a dipping belt though. Wrist is slightly sore again after the PCs but heck I don't care they're fun! :D

You did all that on Sunday, wow

The best way to tone a muscle is to lift a low weight many times?

I don't do "toning" for a start as there's no such thing. And that's a regular work out for me so I don't see your point, I like high volume work outs.

And no low weights many times doesn't do you any good. Max reps should be around 12 or so.

I'm after strength and size. I have endurance as I do a lot of endurance training.

Stop talking out of your fundemental orifice please.

And no low weights many times doesn't do you any good. Max reps should be around 12 or so.

Stop talking out of your fundemental orifice please.

LOL. What still cracks me up after many years of training is going to a gym and seeing woman bicep curling these small coloured 1kg or so bumbells about 30 times..then putting em down and walking away. I mean...they actually think they are doing themselves well. They actually do more of a workout hoovering the house...or lifting their shipping bags to the car:rolleyes:

Back on the topic of quality of meat etc.. I try my best to stay away from 'low' quality meat. It might have all the nutrients on paper, but if the chicken or whatever animal it is I am eating has never seen the light of day, and have been fed all kinds of crap (including sedatives to stop them attacking each other when kept in batteries/confined spaces) then it's going to be poor quality meat and that crap they have been fed is going in to me, too.

They might well be nice and plump when in the packet, but if they haven't had a chance to flex their muscles they wouldn't have had good blood circulation and will have a lot of 'rubbish' (toxins etc) that sit in the meat. Think what happens to you when you can't fully stretch everyday for even just a few days, you get knots and and all kinds of muscular problems. Imagine it for months..

I also like to have respect for my food. What I am eating has died for me to eat it. There's something a bit comforting knowing that this meat I am eating was once well looked after. :) Call me a poof, if you like, but that's they way I like to be in this world. :)

LOL. What still cracks me up after many years of training is going to a gym and seeing woman bicep curling these small coloured 1kg or so bumbells about 30 times..then putting em down and walking away. I mean...they actually think they are doing themselves well. They actually do more of a workout hoovering the house...or lifting their shipping bags to the car:rolleyes:

It's even worse when youre male housemate buys them :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back on the topic of quality of meat etc.. I try my best to stay away from 'low' quality meat. It might have all the nutrients on paper, but if the chicken or whatever animal it is I am eating has never seen the light of day, and have been fed all kinds of crap (including sedatives to stop them attacking each other when kept in batteries/confined spaces) then it's going to be poor quality meat and that crap they have been fed is going in to me, too.
Any science to back this up? ANY studies ANYWHERE that show sedatives to be stored in muscle tissue and to affect humans in any way? Or that the diet of an animal has any effect at all on muscle tissue composition?

They might well be nice and plump when in the packet, but if they haven't had a chance to flex their muscles they wouldn't have had good blood circulation and will have a lot of 'rubbish' (toxins etc) that sit in the meat. Think what happens to you when you can't fully stretch everyday for even just a few days, you get knots and and all kinds of muscular problems. Imagine it for months..

Toxins? Thats a term used by homeopaths and other such new wave hippie therapists. Toxins (as in harmful chemicals) are filtered out from the blood by the liver, there is no reason to assume these mythical toxic molecules have suddenly found a way to collect in muscle tissue. If of course they even exist!

I also like to have respect for my food. What I am eating has died for me to eat it. There's something a bit comforting knowing that this meat I am eating was once well looked after. :) Call me a poof, if you like, but that's they way I like to be in this world. :)

I still maintain that an animal that has had a 'free range' existence had more to lose upon its death than mr battery chicken who probably wasnt all that bothered!

You only need to look at what goes in to see it's going to be full of crap UE.. battery farms etc feed highly processed (usually the carcasses of previous animals) to their livestock, packed with synthesised hormones for maximum growth. Also included are what are effectively pesticides to keep these animals from harbouring diseases,and are only kept just above "safe" food standard levels, which is a far cry from being healthy.. Not to mention they are practically swimming in their own crap.

Go watch "Jamie's fowl dinners" for a start, if you want "science." Pay particular attention to the levels of ammonia found in battery farmed meat.
I still maintain that an animal that has had a 'free range' existence had more to lose upon its death than mr battery chicken who probably wasnt all that bothered!

And I still maintain that the battery farms wouldn't be there if you didn't want to have such low quality cheap meat ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom