For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried this the other day never done it in this order before **** me what a pump lol.

Chin ups x5 followed by x5 EZ curl bar 26.5 kg
Chin ups x5 followed by x5 EZ curl bar 36.5 kg
Chin ups x5 followed by x5 EZ curl bar 46.5 kg
Chin ups x5 followed by x5 EZ curl bar 56.5 kg
Chin ups x5 followed by x5 EZ curl bar 66.5 kg

Can someone give a gym n00b some advice?

Basically im trying to loose weight and gain muscle (not arnie, just tone up kinda thing).

At the moment I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and do a mixture of cardio and weights per session. I dont really have a proper routine and would like someone to help me out...

Is it better focusing on just cardio for one session and then alternating every session with weights? ie. monday - cardio, wednesday - weights, friday - cardio...

Im deffonatly loosing weight and gaining muscle but I think im not making the most out of my gym sessions so would like abit more structure to them :)

I tried supersetting chin's yesterday TANK as well, hard work but good fun :D

I did:

Chins x 8, Cable bicep curl x 10
Chins x 6, Cable bicep curl x 10

Minimal rest time, hard work but like you said a very good pump.

FF/oddjob have the key I think, doing them everyday or at least every workout will definitely help. Even if its 1-2 reps, they'll soon build up.

I still hate them everytime I do them, but they are a great exercise.

Nice machine mate...would certainly have one of these if I had space.

I bought the rack a couple of months back for at home...

http://www.bodysolid.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=286&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=0

its meant to have a 100Kg selective lat attachement, there is 20 plates (5kg each I think) but it feels very heavy even though the pully system is good and fairly frictionless. Lat pulls on it even at no 14 (70Kg) it quite intensive for me...even though I usually good for 90Kg+ reps on other machines. It also has the bars to add more weight plates...allthough dont think Ill ever get there. Nice equipment though!

My back chinning session yesterday....

Close Grip chins....

4 x 8 reps with added 18Kg...slow
3 x Body Weight......until max reps achieved...fast

I think I managed 14 reps, then 12 then 11. Arms and lats were on fire! Fine today though.

Last edited:
Nice one oddjob :) I'm still only able to manage 2 on a good day, am sticking with assisted for the mean time. Hopefully by summer I'll be pulling my own body weight (currently 114kg)

Hi mate,

Im no expert as you know, but from my experience, assists dont seem to help me at all. I ALWAYS used assists, didnt know why I wasnt getting better. And I think it was in this thread I read about just having a go without assists every time you pass the bar. 1st time I got about halfway and then i couldnt do any more. Did it again the next time, got a little further, then more and more and within about 3 weeks now I can do at least 3 full ones! Not much, but really assists never helped me at all, especially on dips, and pull ups. now on dips and pull ups I can do about 2x8. Chin ups (i assume you mean a wider grip like on a lat bar?) I can do as I said only about 3.

Pull ups im good for sets of 10. Topping out at around 15 reps before I begin to fail.

Chin ups (wider grip, like lat bar) sets of 8, topping out at 12 in a set.

Having a bar in my bedroom doorframe at home, just doing a few everytime i walk in/out has boosted me. So has good form on lateral pulldown.

I tried supersetting chin's yesterday TANK as well, hard work but good fun :D

I did:

Chins x 8, Cable bicep curl x 10

Minimal rest time, hard work but like you said a very good pump.
We should get some nice mass/shape to the bicep if we stick to these for a few months;).

Nice machine mate...would certainly have one of these if I had space.

I bought the rack a couple of months back for at home...

http://www.bodysolid.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=286&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=0

its meant to have a 100Kg selective lat attachement, there is 20 plates (5kg each I think) but it feels very heavy even though the pully system is good and fairly frictionless. Lat pulls on it even at no 14 (70Kg) it quite intensive for me...even though I usually good for 90Kg+ reps on other machines. It also has the bars to add more weight plates...allthough dont think Ill ever get there. Nice equipment though!

My back chinning session yesterday....

Close Grip chins....

4 x 8 reps with added 18Kg...slow
3 x Body Weight......until max reps achieved...fast

I think I managed 14 reps, then 12 then 11. Arms and lats were on fire! Fine today though.

Perfect bit of kit there if you mainly do squats/bench. Well a good all rounder really:cool:.

Last edited:
Just thought I would share this picture. It's my lunches for the week - although the protein powder and oats will last longer.

img3305gd7.jpg

Im going to have a lot of free time shortly so im planning on just eating and training as hard as I can. I reckon within 2-3months I should get myself into much better shape then I currently am and hopefully a lot stronger.

Started doing a HST routine last week (I took it from MP Bisons blog) was kinda doing it anyway and im loving it! Gruelling work but I feel brilliant doing it, making good progress on all my weights at the minute as well.

One thing I have noticed though is doing pullups on the machine are a lot nicer than the bar. The bar is straight and the machine has handles which bend in slightly, im finding it works a lot better this way as you can get a much stricter form and really pull ya elbows kind of in towards ya body.

Finally got my ass into gear and done some cardio this weekend as well really should be doing it anyway but I just find it so dull and hard work to drag myself into the gym to do it.

I went to the gym yesterday to do legs/triceps after not doing any leg weights for a week or two and after those squats 4x10 my outer thighs are killing me :(, wasn't even at a high weight either (40-50kg), does feel like quite a good exercise though currently I feel pain everytime I sit down or stand up.

I went to the gym yesterday to do legs/triceps after not doing any leg weights for a week or two and after those squats 4x10 my outer thighs are killing me :(, wasn't even at a high weight either (40-50kg), does feel like quite a good exercise though currently I feel pain everytime I sit down or stand up.

I did Squats followed by lunges on Thursday , yesterday walking up/down stairs didn't feel too great and can still feel it today.

No pain no gain ;)

Just thought I would share this picture. It's my lunches for the week - although the protein powder and oats will last longer.

img3305gd7.jpg

I love making them although they reaally can't be that good for you! I always wait until special offers then buy 8 packets of sauze n fajjj

My mum suggested cottage cheese and tuna wraps to me today :p

My latest sessions:
Benchpress - 0kg
biceps curl 2kg
squat: 105kg for reps
deadlift - 80kg for reps

:(

On the plus side my tendon is nearly fixed and I'm getting a blood test at easter to check test :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom