For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really should consult your GP if it persists, I recently just got over some elbow trouble from what I could only put down to doing heavy skull crushers. I found leaving weights alone for 2-3 weeks helped a lot and just stuck to the crosstrainer, maybe give that a go.

Having some shoulder problems recently. Flat bench and flys are fine but incline movements hurt my right shoulder. I had to cut short my workout today because inlince db bench was killing me :(

Anyone got any ideas? I've never been injured before so it's a new thing.

I've tears in both my shoulders. minor in my right and it was quite major in my left, which was followed by a 30kg subluxation. Take good care of your shoulders!

Warm them up properly. Strengthen your rotator cuffs. You do NOT want to damage them or stretch them as this will lead to your shoulder slipping in and out of your socket and continuously getting worse. I can assure you it's extremely painful. Are you doing a lot of similar ROM/repititions? This can be key to shoulder injuries. If your doing shoulders and chest together, or on the day after eachother this might be it.

Where abouts does it hurt? On the inside of the shoulder, or the outer?

There was a very good video on youtube(about 10 minutes long)showing several rotator cuff and shoulder warm up exercises, but I cant find it. I now do these every day after cardio before going anywhere near weights, even on my legs day as i'll do anything I can to avoid any shoulder injuries.

Having some shoulder problems recently. Flat bench and flys are fine but incline movements hurt my right shoulder. I had to cut short my workout today because inlince db bench was killing me :(

Anyone got any ideas? I've never been injured before so it's a new thing.

Dam! I know how you feel.. Just cut a workout short due to one of my bicep tendons feeling dodgy from last saturday :( :( :( (

Decided to do legs yesterday and It was fine :)

Today I started on bench..

Warmed up with: 30kg x 15 and 50kg x 10

Then did..
70kg x 12 < was fine
76kg x 7 < where i decided to cut set short as I felt weak and I started thinking about one of my arms feeling slightly funny
85kg x 3 < I could still feel something in my arm, although not painful.. I could do more reps but didn't want to risk :( as I know injurys can go on foreverrr if you don't listen to your body..

:(:(:(

Realise the protein discussion has long since gone but I was wondering....

The protein in carb heavy products say oats, or pasta it is just as readily available for use in muscle building as the same from animal meat? To me I don't really consider these the same kind of proteins or same quality so try and get 30g of the animal stuff every meal. But am I wrong in this?

Kicked off with deadlifts, really trying to get used to these im still uncomfortable with heaviest weight
Squat down, raise bum up when ready, head up (looking 45degrees up), push through the legs and when you are at the start of a clean position throw the head back (only attempt when your back is straight), you may find that when your torso is upright that you have to make an additional drive through the legs (pretty sure this isn't a double bounce cause its all one movement).

Realise the protein discussion has long since gone but I was wondering....

The protein in carb heavy products say oats, or pasta it is just as readily available for use in muscle building as the same from animal meat? To me I don't really consider these the same kind of proteins or same quality so try and get 30g of the animal stuff every meal. But am I wrong in this?

Protein from animal meat is more bio available then from the sources you mention, but also i wouldnt like to try and get 30g of protein from pasta :eek:

Different types of protein have different bioavailabilities, meats and dairy (inc whey) are the best sources althugh some vegetable proteins like Soy are also very bio available

Squat down, raise bum up when ready, head up (looking 45degrees up), push through the legs and when you are at the start of a clean position throw the head back (only attempt when your back is straight), you may find that when your torso is upright that you have to make an additional drive through the legs (pretty sure this isn't a double bounce cause its all one movement).

Yeah, thats always running through my head, at loads under 140kg i have no problem with perfect form. My problem comes as i push for heavier weight and more reps, i dont know that my form is wrong but it just is a strange feeling picking up such a heavy bar its hard to be sure. Im going to film my next lot and ill throw them up in the video lifting thread

I can do 140 kg for 6-8 reps :p, I can feel some meaty challenges coming in a month or two in the OcUK weight lifting challenges thread:D

Theres a lot to be said for the tower/machine though. I mean on my lat tower i can hang from the bar with about 80kg loaded. So since im about 110kg then the equivalent pulldown is not accurate. On my machine i can only tricep pressdown about 60kg which if my measurments were fair would suggest a 'realtime' total of 90kg or thereabouts. But that doesnt take into account the fact that someone elses machine may be completely the opposits (as in i might need to load it with 140kg to be able to hang from the bar).

This is the problem with machine based lifts and the main reason they have been left out of the competetive threads. If you want to prove your worth do it with a bar and iron, not pulleys and wires.

This doesnt take anything away from TANK though, the guys obviously a beast!

The plates on my stack are 5kg each and adds up to 80kg, it also has hooks either side so they get 60 kilos of Olympic plates thrown on. I get as low as I can by doing tricep pushdowns on my knees if that makes sense.

On the subject of tri's.. other than skull crushers, overhead extensions and push downs.. is there any other worthwhile exercise for tri's? I realise any kind of press (bench/dip/dbp) does work tri's, but if I want to concentrate on my tri's for a bit... ? :)

Bent over two arm dumbbell triceps extensions, there ment to be pretty brutal. Or dumbbell one arm triceps extension.

Last edited:
**** me Benny that don't sound to good:(.

Happened in my 13th week of training I think. Fresher year. Was training what i wanted when i wanted, so ended up hitting more or less every group per day. Using advice from my brother to twist the dumbells into a fly position as you finish the dumbell press for extra definitaion saw the humerus trying to slip out of the shoulder socket with 30KG's on the end of it. I heard some very strange noises over my headphones. Using the x-trainer was unbearable, let a lot trying to do skull crushers. Few weeks later and I had to ease back into it with some rehab work. It's fine now *touch wood*, hasn't been hindering my progress at all lately. Still managed to increase PB's and gains last year. Very lucky there wasn't any ligament or tendon damage.

The right shoulder happened very minor during a dumbell pullover. Haven't done these scince. I'm sure it was a combination or repetative movements and weak rotator cuffs.

Rotator cuffs are the first thing I do every day even on a legs day!

As its the outter it doesn't sound as serious, but is still none the less. Whats your shoulder workout like? Side raises? Lateral raises? Upright rows?

Was it the front, middle or back of the shoulder? and top middle or bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom