Ford Mustang to be released in EU

Soldato
Unfortunately I think the chance of the Camaro coming to these shores is slim, at least for a while. This is partly because of a lack of Chevy dealers and partly because the excellent Alpha platform is not engineered for RHD at the moment. I believe the next generation Alpha will likely be RHD.

However...

This Buick concept might be the best way we could get a 'Camaro' over here (via Opel/Vauxhall). The platform issues are still the problem though.

XuOWeglh.jpg

vsbA4CPh.jpg

eWZRxe5h.jpg

UKIxXjS.jpg

B4zHGOO.jpg

igLhT83.jpg

More here. I really hope they build it, even if it's just US and China. It looks fantastic! :eek:

Soldato
So, I've got 370 miles on the Shelby GT350 now, and I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

I took it to a car show this past weekend, and it was the star attraction, I could barely make it to my car to get back in it! Ironically, none of my exotic cars have ever had this much attention at a show, even the MP4-12C got a few glances then people move on.

Fuel economy.... well... I've got 370 miles on the car, and I'm on my third tank of fuel. This car is definitely a middle finger to the agencies responsible for making every car turbo charged, so I have to applaud Ford for this. I've been averaging 12mpg since getting the car, so it's actually worse than the Ferrari was, by quite some margin.

My only complaints stem from the audio system, which is just plain terrible, and the steering. Maybe I'm exceptionally spoiled, but coming from the Aston Martin, which has arguably the best hydraulic steering currently in a car, this one feels utterly lifeless and dead. I'll have to wait until I get it on a track, but the electric steering seems to communicate very little indeed. It makes Porsche's electric steering feel like an unassisted Elise in comparison, it's really that numb.

OcUK Staff
[ui]ICEMAN;29051336 said:
So, I've got 370 miles on the Shelby GT350 now, and I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

I took it to a car show this past weekend, and it was the star attraction, I could barely make it to my car to get back in it! Ironically, none of my exotic cars have ever had this much attention at a show, even the MP4-12C got a few glances then people move on.

Fuel economy.... well... I've got 370 miles on the car, and I'm on my third tank of fuel. This car is definitely a middle finger to the agencies responsible for making every car turbo charged, so I have to applaud Ford for this. I've been averaging 12mpg since getting the car, so it's actually worse than the Ferrari was, by quite some margin.

My only complaints stem from the audio system, which is just plain terrible, and the steering. Maybe I'm exceptionally spoiled, but coming from the Aston Martin, which has arguably the best hydraulic steering currently in a car, this one feels utterly lifeless and dead. I'll have to wait until I get it on a track, but the electric steering seems to communicate very little indeed. It makes Porsche's electric steering feel like an unassisted Elise in comparison, it's really that numb.

Maybe the electric dampers cause the lack of steering feel, though I suspect I shall find the same as well, we've being spoilt owning cars regarded the best out there for steering feel. My 997.1 C2S was insanely good on steering never felt anything so good or perfectly weighted. The M3 was a bit dead around centre at first but since changing for solid bushes the M3 is also excellent.

Once I get the Mustang I shall inspect the rack and steering column, there could be some rubber bushes which could maybe be changed for solid ones, will let you know as I shall have it up on ramps pretty soon to thoroughly inspect it and see if Ford left anything on the table steering wise.

Does the Shelby have the comfort, sport and track settings for steering?

Soldato
Maybe the electric dampers cause the lack of steering feel, though I suspect I shall find the same as well, we've being spoilt owning cars regarded the best out there for steering feel.

Does the Shelby have the comfort, sport and track settings for steering?

Pretty sure you'll find the same, as the GT350 supposedly has significantly more steering feel than the regular GT. Though I guess significantly more of anything is easy when you have nothing to begin with!

It's probably not as bad as I'm making out, just I think you'll find it rather numb compared to what you've had in the past. It's not dangerously numb, just wish there was more.

It does have the three settings yes, and honestly it really just stiffens the steering rather than inducing significantly more feel through it. There's definitely more vibration damping in comfort, but my car goes into track mode the second I start it up.

OcUK Staff
[ui]ICEMAN;29051354 said:
Hah, I just read this back, and you're right! I hope that doesn't come across the wrong way, as that wasn't my intention, was merely meant to be a comparison :(

But apart from steering and crappy stereo, how does the car compare to stuff like the Porsches, Ferrari, Aston, Mclaren etc. to drive. Any chance of a more in depth review on the car and not just complaints about the sound system? How does the ESP system compare, is it intrusive or does it allow a lot of play in sport/track like Porsche systems do. How is the handling, grip, sound track, performance. Does it make you grin like a cheshire cat when you start it and drive it, does it have soul and character, does it feel special? Come on tell us more, we know you don't like the sound system. :D

Also why do you need a sound system, surely the flat plane crank and the exhaust in track mode must sound bonkers in a good way? :D

I plan on having the exhaust on my car within 48hrs of owning the car, that V8 sound track is incredible. When I was in Vegas a Mustang GT went past on the highway with an exhaust system clearly on it and it sounded totally amazing.

Soldato
But apart from steering and crappy stereo, how does the car compare to stuff like the Porsches, Ferrari, Aston, Mclaren etc. to drive. Any chance of a more in depth review on the car and not just complaints about the sound system?

Also why do you need a sound system, surely the flat plane crank and the exhaust in track mode must sound bonkers in a good way? :D

I plan on having the exhaust on my car within 48hrs of owning the car, that V8 sound track is incredible. When I was in Vegas a Mustang GT went past on the highway with an exhaust system clearly on it and it sounded totally amazing.

I'll post up an in depth review a little later today, bit squeezed for time until this afternoon. In summary though - easily as much character as the Ferrari, drives incredibly well, gorgeous engine especially 6-8.2k, handling is very good, far beyond what I ever expected possible, and the brakes are super strong.

I don't know if they do this in the GT, but in the 350 Ford turn the exhaust off in 6th gear, regardless of setting. At these times, when I don't want to be doing 6mpg, and I'd like to raise that to a lofty 12mpg, I'm going to need a sound system that doesn't make my science project in 6th grade sound like a Naim or Linn.

Don
I don't think anyone thinks that Iceman. Those of us who know your posts know you only post to share and not to rub it in people's faces.

Also, update your sig man. It must be what? 3 cars out of date now?

OcUK Staff
[ui]ICEMAN;29051417 said:
I'll post up an in depth review a little later today, bit squeezed for time until this afternoon. In summary though - easily as much character as the Ferrari, drives incredibly well, gorgeous engine especially 6-8.2k, handling is very good, far beyond what I ever expected possible, and the brakes are super strong.

I don't know if they do this in the GT, but in the 350 Ford turn the exhaust off in 6th gear, regardless of setting. At these times, when I don't want to be doing 6mpg, and I'd like to raise that to a lofty 12mpg, I'm going to need a sound system that doesn't make my science project in 6th grade sound like a Naim or Linn.

In 6th gear they are all super quiet, simply as its a huge overdrive gear, I know the GT's become silent in this gear, all you can hear is tyre noise as even at 100mph the engine is hovering around 2500-3000rpm. The only way they can get the highway mpg figure by putting silly long top gears in them.

Yes the brakes are supposedly incredible on GT/Shelby, but you'd expect them to be with the size of the disc and huge 6-pot brembo up front.

OcUK Staff
[ui]ICEMAN;29051471 said:
I always like to be careful, I've had a very fortunate life, and I love to share things with others, but the last thing I want is to come across in the wrong way!

Dave my view is this, you work hard, you also save lives in your profession and you have a wife who lets you play, and myself and I am sure many others really appreciate the fact you come on here to share your feedback with many of the exotica you have owned. :)

So please do keep sharing and I hope you will take the Shelby on track in your ownership as that is where it comes alive. :)

Soldato
just read

Ford are about to increase the RS range of cars, this might mean either the Shelby over here or another Mustang..:eek:

but for now it looks like a brand new Fiesta RS is about to be developed ;), this is because Ford are surprised how popular performance cars have suddenly become in the last 6 months.

great news

Soldato
Thank you for the kind words, I'm always more than happy to share my experiences with you :)

I have a few minutes so I guess it's time to talk about the GT350.

These are not my images, as I haven't had chance to take good pictures yet but this is the same color and stripes as mine so to all intents and purposes, identical.

OXSF9a6.jpg
ZpwtWIA.jpg
NhEHkDh.jpg

To preface this, as many of you know, my past cars leading into this were a Ferrari 430 spider (manual), 991 Carrera S PDK, Mclaren MP4-12C, and an Aston Martin GT (it's the N430 in the UK). There have been some others like GT-R's and an F-Type but those were all a couple of years back now. Naturally, these were all pretty special, and some were just pure exotica which came with their own issues and occasional regrets (losing $100k overnight on the 12C comes to mind).

I've been following the GT350 since its announcement over 12 months ago, and I remember thinking it was going to be something quite special when they decided on a flat plane crank V8. I was hoping they'd continue down the same path Ferrari have (the only other FPC engines I have experience with) and build a car around the engine, rather than as they have with the GT500's, take a stock car and throw a gargantuan motor in it. I can tell you wholeheartedly that Ford have created a masterpiece here, it's a truly special car, and that's something I didn't anticipate Ford to do.

Now, the regular 2015 Mustang is a huge leap over the previous generation, even in the base trim levels, let alone the GT, they've taken huge strides towards competing with its more obvious European rivals. I drove a regular GT before buying the GT350 (no test drives, period), and was extremely impressed with the level of specification, gearbox, interior and the motor. In essence, the GT350 is to the GT what a GT3 is to a Carrera S, it's not a simple trim swap with bigger wheels - Ford went out of their way to make this a streetable track car that, incidentally, laps as fast as a 911 GT3.

MSRP on these with the tech package is ~$60k, which is a bit of a bargain really. For comparison (this is a UK forum, so clarifying US pricing) a new M4 with decent spec is $80k, 911 Carrera S $100k, Aston GT is $115k, F430 ~$160-170k, and a 12C is $250k. Even GT-R's are $105k out here, so really, it's in a fairly unusual price category, given where it punches.

Now, finding one of these was all but impossible, I ended up seeing one car that wasn't already sold, with no new orders being allowed for quite a while, and only certain dealers getting allocations. The dealers know how rare these are and the dealer I purchased from wanted $30k over sticker price but I ended up getting it on New Year's Eve for $6k over. Honestly, getting yourself in front of the dealer with your trade in hand can go a long way to making the deal happen on your terms - they get a lot of time wasters/tire kickers.

So, onto the car itself - impressive.

Exterior:

It's an imposing car, with a very aggressive look to it, and the color, which may not be to everyone's taste is unique to the GT350 and IMO looks fantastic. Exterior build quality on mine has been fantastic, I really can't fault it, even the paint is pretty good with very little orange peel in it. Compared to the Aston/Mclaren, which have arguably the best paint in the business, I've not been let down. My E92 M3 had some of the worst paint I've ever seen on a car, but then that entire car was the biggest disappointment of my motoring career.

Interior:

Interior is functional, but very well screwed together. Not German in quality, but a far cry from anything previously done in a Mustang. Now I don't have many miles on it yet, but it certainly doesn't squeak or rattle, even with the added vibration from the FPC engine. The seats are amazingly comfortable, though I do have the tech package so ended up losing the standard bucket seats in lieu of navigation, magnetic dampers, heated/cooled seats and a few other things. I'd have to liked to have seen fully electric seats, since the back is manually adjustable, but I can't say that really bothers me all that much. Seat memory would've also been nice, but again, not a deal breaker. Now, I had low expectations coming from the Aston Martin, which if you're not familiar, is entirely leather/metal/alacantara. Even the door jambs are covered in leather, so it's an incredibly nice, luxurious place to be. Given where I came from, I'm pleasantly surprised, as the GT350 is a lovely place to be.

Seating position is good, though visibility over the long hood is challenging. I can't say this is a major issue for me as many of my previous cars have been far worse. Rear visibility is fine, as are the quarters and sides. It's a roomy interior, and the car feels quite large compared to the AM, but probably not significantly different to the M4.

Engine/Gearbox

What is there to say, except for sensational. This is the heart of the car, and it delivers character in spades. 5.2L flat plane crank, 526hp,429lbft, with an extremely notable kick beyond 3.5k makes for a fun engine. The flat plane crank allows it to rev freely, though not as blippy as the Ferrari was, it retains a lot of the same characteristics. Firing it up in the morning causes my entire house to shake, just like my F430 did, which is always fun, and it really barks upon hitting that start button. With the exhaust valves open, it's louder than my F-Type V8S was, with ridiculous amounts of crackles and bangs on the overrun. At low revs, you can hear the FPC sound, but it's a little more muscle car esque, it's when you push beyond 5k, up to the 8250rpm red line it takes on a real hard edge, with incredible similarities to the Ferrari.

It's a seriously quick car, especially once you pass the 3.5k rpm area, it pulls rapidly to the redline, with no let off in torque or hp until the 8250rpm cut off. Naturally, with 100hp advantage it's significantly faster than the Aston Martin it replaced, and I have to say, I prefer the engine and exhaust note of the GT350 too - this surprised me because I've always been a huge lover of Aston's and the way they sound.

I'd prefer it if they removed the rev-hold on the GT350, as I find it a little annoying for rapid up shifts, but I can always have that tuned out if necessary. Pedals are spaced well enough for heel and toe, and thanks to the FPC engine, rev-matching is immensely easy on the way down the box. Speaking of the gearbox, it's a lovely movement, short throw but with a little bit more flexibility than the Aston Martin. Not as notchy as the AM, and definitely easier to get into gear than the Ferrari, but I'm afraid nothing will ever compare to the gated 6MT in my F430, that was a work of art, and a real experience to use.

Handling

My car is equipped with the magnetic ride dampers, which I've experienced in other cars before. Now, there's nothing on the planet that can compete with the MP4-12C here or anything else McLaren makes for that matter. Their suspension system is stunning, and no, the GT350 doesn't come close to the levels of comfort that provides. However, the GT350 isn't crashy compared to the Aston, and rides perhaps a little softer than the 911 too. It doesn't feel like you're on a cloud like in the MP4, but it's good, especially for a track car. What's incredible however, and something I will compare to the MP4 is the ability to control body roll. The GT350 feels big and heavy when you first sit in it, yet the second you turn the wheel, all that weight seems to just disappear, as the car darts inwards with almost zero body roll. The same goes for front end rise and dip during acceleration and braking, the magnetic dampers adjust so rapidly that the car remains almost entirely flat at all times.

The car comes equipped with Michelin PSS from the factory, and this has always been a favorite tire of mine, and one I've had on just about every car I've owned since they came out. They grip phenomenally, and at this point, I've found them to be immensely predictable. I've not had the chance to really push the limits of under steer yet but as it stands, I'm impressed with the sure footedness of the car, ease of turn in and excellent road manners.

Brakes have always been a sticking point (no pun intended) on Shelby's, and having driven the 662hp GT500 around the track, I found the brakes on that downright dangerous as they faded within a couple of moderately paced laps. It seems Ford have finally listened (or the lawyers got fed up of cars in walls) and put some extremely good brakes on the GT350. 6 pot Brembo's up front, 4 in the rear , with cross drilled rotors. They don't squeal (unlike the Aston) but they generate a decent amount of dust (Aston made even more). Stopping power is excellent, easily some of the best brakes I've experienced on a car of this size, with more importantly, a really good pedal feel.

The steering is electric, and it shows. Ford haven't had the time or money to invest into making it closer to feeling like a hydraulic system, and it definitely feels a little numb. I'd liken it to newer Mercedes steering or to the power steering + in the 991 at low speeds, where there's very little feel. In track/sport mode, the steering stiffens up nicely, but there's definitely an isolated feeling from the front end, with only fairly significant undulations and bumps being transferred to your hands. Now, perhaps I'm spoiled as the Aston GT has arguably the best hydraulic steering feel of any car currently available, but it's definitely not as communicative as a 991 without PS+.

That said, the steering being a little numb doesn't detract from its ability to corner or handle well. Turn in is immediate, with excellent precision from the wheel.

Summary

Overall, I've been rather impressed by the GT350, and I think I shall be keeping it for a long time to come. It has real character, is extremely exciting to drive, and gets more attention at car shows than any of the exotics I've previously had. Sometimes it's nice to have something that you're not afraid to put miles on, that you can leave just about anywhere, yet still has the character of an exotic car. Regarding that last point, Ford have definitely given this car an exotic edge, and given the competition it has had to face from my past cars, I'm actually rather surprised that I hold it in as high regard as the Ferrari and Aston.

Would I change anything? Audio system (I know I've harped on about this in the past) as it's absolutely abysmal. and make the steering a little more communicative. Other than that, there's not much I'd change at all. My hat goes off to Ford on this one, they've knocked it out of the park IMO with a well rounded track capable car, that's perfectly usable as a daily driver on the street.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Dave

It is impressive that what your comparing it to is cars costing nearly twice the amount and more in some cases.

Stereo system aside the one thing I dislike on the Shelby is the ride height, it looks too high in all the photos I have seen, like it would really benefit from a 20mm drop in height, so guess it depends if Ford will offer some lowering springs for the magnetic dampers or not.

I am sure the steering can be improved with some further bracing and solid bushes, I already have the bracing for mine and will look into bushings.

I can hear what your saying by your happy to put the miles on it, simply because you stand to lose little to no money and its a loved car, no jealousy about Mustangs, they just seem to make people smile.

Fingers crossed I can get mine before weekend, I just want to hear the thing with the Corsa exhaust I have. :D

Soldato
Dave

It is impressive that what your comparing it to is cars costing nearly twice the amount and more in some cases.

Stereo system aside the one thing I dislike on the Shelby is the ride height, it looks too high in all the photos I have seen, like it would really benefit from a 20mm drop in height, so guess it depends if Ford will offer some lowering springs for the magnetic dampers or not.

I am sure the steering can be improved with some further bracing and solid bushes, I already have the bracing for mine and will look into bushings.

I can hear what your saying by your happy to put the miles on it, simply because you stand to lose little to no money and its a loved car, no jealousy about Mustangs, they just seem to make people smile.

Fingers crossed I can get mine before weekend, I just want to hear the thing with the Corsa exhaust I have. :D

Definitely pleased with my purchase, and I expected to be a little disappointed - definitely not the case. It's exceeded my expectations by a mile.

I agree on the ride height, though I do believe it sits lower than a GT does, but I could be incorrect. Unfortunately the front is already pretty close to the ground, and given how obnoxious the front splitter install is (2 hour job), I'm not sure I want to lower it much more. We shall see!

Just have to decide on the rear wing, and have the radar detector/laser jammers installed now.

Back
Top Bottom