Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Soldato
In the rather frustrating position of being a marine engineer that doesn't want to go deep sea anymore. Trying to get into the offshore wind sector, as in my humble opinion, my skill set would be well suited to operating and maintaining that sort of equipment, in that sort of environment. But, for all the inroads I seem to making in my quest, I might as well be banging my head against a brickwall. All my applications thus far have been met with; 'Sorry, we were impressed with your experience and qualifications, but we've decided to go with other more suited candidates on this occasion...' :(

Starting to fear that when I started down this path all those years ago, I inadvertently painted myself into a corner.

Associate
In the rather frustrating position of being a marine engineer that doesn't want to go deep sea anymore. Trying to get into the offshore wind sector, as in my humble opinion, my skill set would be well suited to operating and maintaining that sort of equipment, in that sort of environment. But, for all the inroads I seem to making in my quest, I might as well be banging my head against a brickwall. All my applications thus far have been met with; 'Sorry, we were impressed with your experience and qualifications, but we've decided to go with other more suited candidates on this occasion...' :(

Starting to fear that when I started down this path all those years ago, I inadvertently painted myself into a corner.

I wanted to work on the offshore wind farms years ago, i have applied twice and have been to the assessment / interview process each time. First time i made it the final round and was back up in case anyone failed the medical but nothing came from that, this was about 2009 when the greater Gabbard wind farm started to be increased. Got to told by a few friends who tried before to get onto the wind farms, that its a old boys network and just laughed it off. Second time i didn't get any further than the assessment /interview stage.
During the second time, whilst doing the group task etc, got to talking to the lads all of them where ex RAF engineers after they closed one of the local bases had a good laugh but they all got talking and explained that the guy the doing the interviews was ex RAF and they already had their foot in the door. This kind of confirmed to me that it is an old boys network and you need to know someone on the inside, who puts you forward for the job to get anywhere. So don't feel bad about banging your head against a break wall, it appears to be a hard field to get into. I also feel same about painting myself into a corner, i have been feeling like for years with my job. Keep searching you find something that takes you fancy.

Soldato
Re: offshore windfarms. Have either of you heard of Dong Energy? A mate of mine who had just finished his HNC I believe, got accepted with Dong, working offshore. Earning some nice till too.

Soldato
Re: offshore windfarms. Have either of you heard of Dong Energy? A mate of mine who had just finished his HNC I believe, got accepted with Dong, working offshore. Earning some nice till too.

Indeed, I've just registered for job alerts from Dong, which is one of the companies operating Burbo Bank wind farm, which is ideally, where I'd like to work.

Just been rejected by MHI Vestas, but contemplating contacting them through LinkedIn asking what I can do to increase my chances, I already meet their candidate spec from their latest advert.

Soldato
I start a new job tomorrow and have, as of about 3 hours ago had confirmation that I have broken my toe and fractured another part of my foot. Can't walk and am in crutches but need to get to Kettering tomorrow, by train with a weeks worth of luggage for an induction week. Boy are they going to get a surprise when I wobble in.

Soldato
I start a new job tomorrow and have, as of about 3 hours ago had confirmation that I have broken my toe and fractured another part of my foot. Can't walk and am in crutches but need to get to Kettering tomorrow, by train with a weeks worth of luggage for an induction week. Boy are they going to get a surprise when I wobble in.
Least you'll have a conversation starter :p

Caporegime
OP
What do you do in IT and what's wrong with your current job?

IT Support for a large organisation, but we're part of a smaller team.

It's not really classed as 1st or 2nd line and anything that is an issue we'll try and resolve before escalating to the more senior staff.

Just a bit fed up of it, same story different day type thing.

Soldato
Got my interview in 2 hours. Done as much prep as i can and feeling quite good about it. If i get it, its a permanent role and a promotion.
There are 2 vacancies so if a colleague gets it and i don't, I should be able to walk into her job next month.

Permabanned
I never did mind interviews, I quite enjoyed a few of them.

It's the group interviews I hate where they assess you based on some silly group exercises, one time quite a few years ago now, they never told me this was the format and after one look at a room full of 100+ people I just walked away, they seemed surprised. :D

They're so degrading.

Back
Top Bottom