Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Caporegime
Hi all.

Recently had to leave my job for a certain number of reasons...And I forgot how bad and tedious it was to job search every day :(

Doesn't help the fact I'm never entirely sure what I'm looking for either!

Had to do this before Christmas, which was just grand.

Might have to look into just doing part-time work for now and look around local newspapers or something.

Any other tips?

EDIT: 26/7/11
Job Search Websites to look on:

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/
http://www.totaljobs.com/
http://www.monster.co.uk/
http://www.reed.co.uk/
http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/
http://www.fish4.co.uk/
(Provided by Oxy)

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/
(Provided by Delvis)

EDIT: 31/1/13
https://www.gov.uk/jobsearch
Provided by OCem)

EDIT: 7/5/13
http://www.indeed.co.uk
Provided by Infidelus

Other useful sites
http://www.askamanager.org/

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Put time into each covering letter/application; it's easy to bash out an application in ten minutes, but you'll get a lot more success if you show them that you've done a little research into the company first.

True, I do research the company if I can normally :)

Problem is most applications go to Agency's now acting as the employers for the company, so you never know the company name until they tell you :(

Caporegime
OP
Mate its just at tedious for us grads who aren't willing to whore themselves out at all these rubbish jobs promising 80k OTE (basic 12k), I've got a years placement on the cv and I've had two interviews both roles 22k+ but its tough competiting for those jobs especially when everyone is graduating now too. Just get on monster/reed and keep looking and keep clicking apply. Good luck pal

Thanks for the input :)

Been on afew sites for several years now, if you didn't know / wanted more IT based jobs look on CWjobs as well.

I'll keep plugging away at it, just panicking as I don't have the cash to be unemployed for too long :(

Caporegime
OP
Also looking for a new job (currently in employment though), doesn't seem to be much out there though! Saying that, I've only been looking on the Job Centre Plus website, are any other websites highly rated?

If it's It related CWjobs is okay normally, I had a fair amount of interviews with them previously.

Then theres Reed.co.uk as mentioned, and obviously Monster, totaljobs...Theres loads...but meh :(

One thing I will say though, is do not bother with the agencies online. Companies like Reed et al. simply do not seem to do anything if you apply online. Personally I found Monster a little rubbish, but I think I'll have to remake my profile again soon. I'm pretty sure someone tried to get me to help them tax-evade last time.

Most agenceys I've dealt with from whatever site just seem to have no clue what soever they are actually reading on you're CV..."So you did what? 1st line support at you're previous company then?"...Where the hell does it say I did 1st line support on my CV!!! ARRRGGH! :p

I've been on Monster for years now, constantly re-saving my profile and what not.

Im out of work as of Thursday next week, haven't been able to find anything yet, and am not looking forward to all of this.

Worst bit is I cant claim job seekers while im looking, because I have resigned from my job - bit of a long story, mainly due to health reasons - so I cant claim job seekers allowance for 6 months because I have put myself out of a job.
:(

Really? Weird =/...I kinda left and kinda didn't...Basically I couldn't carry on with my job because of the tinnitus intervening with certain thing's we did, so it was a joint decision basically...I have a letter for it stating the reasons etc.

I was on the doll for just 2 weeks earlier this year, and that was enough! I really can't hack it, having to go in every two weeks to show them some silly piece of card that you have filled in =/.

Again? Well, at least you had something in the interim, and your parents to fall back on...

You'll do fine mate, you have better experience than me - just plug away and seek out every possible avenue.

Hah! Hi man, yep, unemployed once again :) Not redundancy this time though.

I'm trying believe me matey, it's just seems so pointless rite now...I mean I have experience...But employers want experience AND qualifications nowadays :( Which I don't have sadly.

Ah well, happy face! :D

Caporegime
OP
oh...And what other sites can people recommend? Ones that are more 'non' agency based...

I'm actively on Monster, CWjobs and Reed...However with CWjobs im also on a few other sites I believe.

Thanks all :)

Caporegime
OP
Thanks. :) I don't think you mentioned already, what was your recent job involving?

The one I started in March was for a LoudSpeaker company, building and testing professional loudspeakers basically :)..Shame, cause the company is good theoretically.

i find the not knowing whats going on after you've applied to be torturous, i dont like not being in control of my destiny i guess

Heh, it is bad :) It's when you don't even get a short email saying "no" just to confirm :p

Caporegime
OP
In this current climate I believe its more of who you know in order to secure a job at the moment.

I spent nearly 6 months looking for work and sent hundreds of applications off only to get 3 interviews.

It was my wife asking at her company if there was any work and I ended up landing a job setting up appointments for hearing asessments. Mundane call center work but its better than dipping into my savings and its a job at the end of the day. Pickers can't be choosers even if its a job at 14k a year.

It's looking like I literally am going to have to take anything...

Problem is There aren't many sites that list those types of jobs =/...

Caporegime
OP
No joy yet my end...Applied for a Stores person role and got told I was too qualified.

On the plus side I did go in to have a chat with the agency guy and signed up with them so maybe that will give me some more options...

Caporegime
OP

Nice lil story, glad you found a job though, hopefully this one holds out for you :)

I've heard nothing back yet, so going to be looking again shortly for more to apply for :(...Sadly can't really apply for those London ones, no where near me really...Hopefully someone else can!

Good luck all.

Caporegime
OP
I'll be seeing a recruiter on Friday. He tells me that he has a relationship with the employer, which is good if true.

Awesome, hope it goes well anyway.

well i applied for a job this morning and they called me 20mins after inviting me to interview so either they read it really quick and like the sound of me or they're inviting anyone, it was for a general managers position

Hah, either way you're one step closer! Always good :)

Just got a call actually for a temp role, so I'll see how thatgoes...Sadly a bit on the cheap side but hey...

Another annoying factor is I'm supposed to be going on holiday at the end of the month for a week :( Don't really want to have to cancel and do everyone else over.

Caporegime
OP
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. I applied about a month ago for those while on JSA. Haven't heard anything from them yet, thankfully I found a job though.

I was being really lazy with my job hunting but when I found a slither of something I kept bugging Job Centre to put me on a work trial and they did and I got the job on the spot when I did it.

Hope it all goes well matey :)

Got to go in tomorrow to register to another agency =/...SO annoying, why can't they just find you a job? without fathing around :p

Caporegime
OP
Thanks. Have you done or applied for a work trial? I think they are a step closer then just simply applying and a good chance for the employer to interview you too informally.

I would if I ever got to see the employer's at this point! Everything goes through an agencey :(

You see a job...you apply for it, agency ring's up - "Hey you sound like a god candidate yada yada, you need to come in and register with us befre we can shw your interest to the employer" =/....It's just annoying :(

Caporegime
OP
I don't understand this at all. I've paid my taxes, if I was ever eligible for benefits I'd certainly take them. If you had a child would you reject the child allowance? It's the same thing. In the UK you are eligible for job seekers allowance.

I'd welcome the money, if only I didn't have to go into the damn place every two weeks with a slip of paper telling them what I've been doing for those two weeks =/...I've paid taxes for a fair few years, why can't I just get some allowance without fathing around? I have to spend money on petrol at the end of the day getting to the damn place! :p

On a side note, went to another agency this morning to sign up as I applied for a job through the...It's just so pointless :9...They already have my CV, with all my skills on and experience, what else do they need? =/

Caporegime
OP
Good to see people have been getting jobs anyway :)

I'm just getting nothing back at the moment...Resorting to see if there is temp work in a bar/restaurant place near me =/...Something I really do not want to do, but you know.

I don't know if it's my lack of experience or lack of qualifications letting me down now! I won't just 'give up'...But it is tiresome looking at the same jobs day in day out...Truth is though I don't know what I'm actually capable of in all honesty :(...So support work it probably is...However I'm not even getting bites from the ones I've applied for so far.

hey ho.

Caporegime
OP
I'v been looking for jobs since September. Ever since iv been trying, jobcentre,internet, registering CV online, handing out CV and everything. It's like im giving up here.

At least iv got my Part time job keeping me going. Only 14 hours better then nothing at the moment.

That's what I need to do really, need to get some form of cash rolling in.

Doing the same thing, although I'm waiting to hear back from two interviews. One was a recruiter coming to me, as it was literally the exact same role which I had just left, for a very similar company, and the other I got the door open through my dad.

A few mates and I are in the process of setting up our own business; we've had a few ideas knocking around since our time at uni together, and pretty much figure that now is as good a time as any to try. Even if we don't make any money, it's going to be better than what I'm doing right now!!!

Be ncie to have my own computer company or something, but I can't see that happening.

Still nothing here, more aimless looking again today for me.

Back
Top Bottom