Former Dragons' Den star Doug Richard 'paid a 13-year-old schoolgirl hundreds of pounds for sex'

Caporegime
Whilst it's obviously disgusting, girls do lie about their age... and let's be honest a lot of young girls look old enough to pass for 21 these days! I don't know.

Caporegime
OP
Does the Daily Fail mention the rental cost of the apartment as they couldn't find out how much his house is worth?

Quite possibly, the price of someone's apartment or house usually is an important component to a Daily Fail story.

Permabanned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...en-star-paid-girl-13-for-sex-court-hears.html

Think he might be in trouble. :D

In one conversation, he asked her: "Are you free to come to London after school?

Can I ask you a hypothetical question? What if I thought she was over 16 but she was in fact under 16?”

And there is a money trail.

From the BBC
Mr Richard, a US citizen who lives in Islington, north London, says the sex was consensual and that he "reasonably believed" the girl was over 16.

He gave a total of £480 to the teenager and her friend, which he says was for "travel expenses".

He going down.

Caporegime
When does paying for sex become paying for sex?

Paying for the train fare? Paying for dinner? Buying a nice dress for them? Buying off their wish list on Amazon? Or just handing over cash with the explicit agreement that it is for sex?

It's the same question that has to be raised when the suggestion of making buying sex illegal comes up. Where is the line?

Caporegime
OP

Paying for the train fare? Paying for dinner? Buying a nice dress for them? Buying off their wish list on Amazon? Or just handing over cash with the explicit agreement that it is for sex?

It's the same question that has to be raised when the suggestion of making buying sex illegal comes up. Where is the line?

when you're clearly buying sex... that is the line in countries like the US where paying for sex is illegal

i.e. in undercover stings the policewoman dressed as a hooker has to make sure you've agreed to pay for sex else your sleazy Vegas defence lawyer could well get your charges dropped

also if you pick up a girl at the side of a road and drive to a parking lot you're not in much position to argue you were only paying her for her time when caught with your trousers down... ditto to being busted in a known brothel

anyway - this is slightly off topic - paying for sex isn't illegal in the UK, the issue here is that they're underage

The line is paying for sex is illegal.
Paying someone to spend time with you is legal :)

A 50+ year old man paying someone he thinks is only 16 (disregarding the fact she was even younger) is seriously questionable from a moral point of view. I doubt the type of person looking for someone so young would give a crap if he had found out she was in fact a child.

Caporegime
I initially read it as him just paying their train fare. There seems to be other random amounts as well, to both girls. That said, I don't think the definition is that clear for places like Sweden, and from the initial article it doesn't seem to suggest the money was explicitly for sex?

Whatever it is it's a mess and he's obviously doing something wrong socially, if not criminally. Old men and young girls, with girls that don't appear to have necessarily been particularly willing either...

Whatever the result, he is going to have problems for a long time to come.

Caporegime
Well yes, but considering there are 5 charges against him and we don't have any evidence either way, I don't see it as odd to ask questions about other parts of the trial, not just whether they were underage (which we know they were).:p

Commissario
The line is paying for sex is illegal.
Paying someone to spend time with you is legal :)

IIRC you're wrong there, most of the things around paying for sex are illegal in the UK (kerb crawling, soliciting, running a brothel etc), but the actual paying for sex itself isn't.

The old story goes that the reason is that the Government could never come up with a law that included all the options without for example also making marriage or normal dating illegal when the legal experts looked at it (if you can't pay cash, you could pay in "gifts" ranging from meals to clothes to jewels - at which point the line becomes very very blurred).

If he had sex with underage girls then he deserves prison.

Back
Top Bottom