Formula Boinc 2017

Associate
Would be good if there was a chat page during the sprints so we could have a banter amongst the teams, see who is actually alive , judging by the lack of interest in the last 1, not many..

It's a good shout. Formula Boinc does have a forum but it only seems to be for bugs/rules etc. If there was enough interest I could throw a site up for all competing teams.

Soldato
anybody know how to edit the project cfg file in Linux? I know entering /var/lib/boinc-client takes you to the folder, but how do I get into the project folder to edit a project folder?

PDW

PDW

Associate
you mean like "cd projects" to move into the projects folder ?
then cd xxxxxxxx where xxxxxxxx is the project folder name ?
You'll probably want to do a "sudo ls" in the project folder to see the names of the project folders.
That'll prompt for your password before showing the folders.
Choice of editors, eg "sudo gedit app_config.xml"

That any use ?

Soldato
I wanted to edit my cosmology@home folder, as on a 64 core machine it'll run 2 x 32 core threads which is abit of a waste!

that means nothing to me lol. I have next to to no understanding of Linux

1 open terminal
2 type cd /var/lib/boinc-client
3 /var/lib/boinc-client ls

that right so far as that's all I know

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
/var is in the root directory so you have to use sudo for root permission.

Presuming Ubuntu
either: sudo gedit .. then open and navigate to the file you want to edit.
or: sudo nautilus .. then navigate to the directory as you would in windows and then right click, edit the file.

PDW

PDW

Associate
instead of: type cd /var/lib/boinc-client
do this: type cd /var/lib/boinc-client/projects/www.cosmologyathome.org

That takes you straight to the project's folder.

Then type: sudo gedit app_config.xml
and fill in the stuff you want, should be able to see how to save and exit the editor !

typing: cd ..
will take you up a folder level.

Soldato
thanks you for the help :) it looks hard but once its explained its just as easy as working a windows system , infact its easer as you don't have to "save as " all files and name it config_app.xml lol
NCPUS 6 x 10 WU

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a good shout. Formula Boinc does have a forum but it only seems to be for bugs/rules etc. If there was enough interest I could throw a site up for all competing teams.
this could be interesting, would it be just as simple as an online chat room for everybody to natter on?

Associate
this could be interesting, would it be just as simple as an online chat room for everybody to natter on?

Could be a simple chatroom, might be a nice alternative to another set of forums however forums are a bit more structured. Could maybe pull in some stats for the live sprint, provided there's some API that can be tapped.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Probably DENIS next, crunch for 3 days then lose the database and restore from a backup 3 months ago with negative credit again !

Associate
Registrations disabled to prevent spam accounts? Stops genuine people also, kind of like shutting the doors on a supermarket to prevent the odd thief

They not heard of captcha?

Soldato
OP
Leiden Classical never has much work, which makes it such a ridiculous choice for a "sprint".
Plus the project is limited to 128 tasks, per user, per day .. the chance of that however would be a fine thing.

Associate
"on 22 May 2017:

Due to spammers automatically creating accounts, account creation can and will be disabled at our discretion. Furthermore, this project is reaching its ending phase probably somewere in 2018. This means as long as the software runs and the OS receives updates (EOL 2020), the project will be maintained, but automatic work creation will stop for sure."

So registrations were disabled a few months ago and the project is nearing the end of it's life.

I could login using another account to help the team numbers out.

So how are these projects selected for Formula Boinc? Do they approach the project owners? Are they chosen on merit? ie for what benefit they would be globally?

Back
Top Bottom